Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2017, 10:39 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
For starters, maybe it's time for you to quit picking out the most extreme example you can find and waving it around as though it actually meant something. That makes as much sense as if I were to say that Polpot is representative of all people in SE Asia
While Angel Adams is an extreme example, it is a FACT that poor people breed more prodigiously than everybody else. Stop trying to downplay this fact of life.

All you have to do is go to the welfare office and watch all the single moms of many kids coming around. Again, I know I sound like a right wing nutjob for saying this, but it's not goddamn fair for the kids to be born into poverty destined to be helpless all their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 11:21 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,599,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
No, but we effectively remove that excuse from the pool of excuses.

Look, you're demanding a magic bullet from me. There is no one solution for this problem. We have to tackle it from different angles.

I'm sick and tired of seeing people like that saying her kids are a gift from God.
You can eradicate every excuse in the book, at the end of the day the issue will still exist.

Whether she is a devout Christian who believe the kids were a gift from God, or an atheist that feels she is just carrying out her animalistic duty of procreating as much as possible, the root of the issue is that she is extremely stupid.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:52 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
No, but we effectively remove that excuse from the pool of excuses.
That is not a common "excuse", only people I have ever heard claim babies are a "gift from God" are devout Christians who also explain untimely death as "God's will". But maybe you're confused and you're thinking about the Philippines.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:01 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
While Angel Adams is an extreme example, it is a FACT that poor people breed more prodigiously than everybody else. Stop trying to downplay this fact of life. All you have to do is go to the welfare office and watch all the single moms of many kids coming around. Again, I know I sound like a right wing nutjob for saying this, but it's not goddamn fair for the kids to be born into poverty destined to be helpless all their lives.
Well, since you brought it up..some things you say do sound like they are from a right wing nut job. You repeat your talking points about poor American women having too many babies as though it's a problem unique to the US, but not one single word from you about the high birthrate of poor Filipinas? It seems as though someone who wanted to have an honest discussion would be willing to discuss the commonality of factors that impact the birthrate of the poor worldwide

Last edited by 2sleepy; 11-26-2017 at 12:10 PM..

Old 11-26-2017, 12:49 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Is this sarcasm? How on earth can you correlate Disney, which is purely recreational/entertainment, and in no way necessary to get ahead in life, with something like education?
Yes its sarcasm.....Its pretty simple actually. The better schools typically have higher property taxes for home owners, pay their teachers better, invest in arts/athletics programs.....Inner city schools are well poor. If you want to level the playing field and make all taxes the same you will not have equal outcome of opportunity or quality in the schools....Why? Good teachers still will not want to teach in the inner cities, wealthy parents will not want to mix students......bad parents will still be bad parents regardless and still have bad kids. Not saying there aren't exceptions, there certainly are. IMO the only way to get bad schools better is to start with the family. You drive through the burbs and its typical family housing with 2-3 kids. Inner cities.....Single parent 3+ kids. its basic math.

FWIW I will do everything I can to keep my kids out of public schools and give them a head start. Thats not privilege...thats being a good parent.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:18 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Yes its sarcasm.....Its pretty simple actually. The better schools typically have higher property taxes for home owners, pay their teachers better, invest in arts/athletics programs.....Inner city schools are well poor. If you want to level the playing field and make all taxes the same you will not have equal outcome of opportunity or quality in the schools....Why? Good teachers still will not want to teach in the inner cities, wealthy parents will not want to mix students......bad parents will still be bad parents regardless and still have bad kids. Not saying there aren't exceptions, there certainly are. IMO the only way to get bad schools better is to start with the family. You drive through the burbs and its typical family housing with 2-3 kids. Inner cities.....Single parent 3+ kids. its basic math.

FWIW I will do everything I can to keep my kids out of public schools and give them a head start. Thats not privilege...thats being a good parent.
If you can afford the $20-30K in private school tuition each year from K-12 (per kid) and even more for university, you are definitely privileged.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:25 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
If you can afford the $20-30K in private school tuition each year from K-12 (per kid) and even more for university, you are definitely privileged.
I had good parents but I very easily could have made terrible decisions to either have kids early, do drugs, not work hard, serve as an Officer in the military......I can go on, but Ill compare to my wife cousins....drugs, alcohol, using student loans to buy a car, date dead beat dudes, have a crappy attitude all around....There was nothing in their way from getting ahead other than themselves. Not my fault.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:59 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
How about we do this before we spend other people’s money on some kids we don’t even know:

Make sure our own children are law abiding and productive human beings who can care for themselves. Next maybe help our relatives or our friends and neighbors so that their children can be productive too.

Then let’s talk about how to save the children for the entire country.

Old 11-26-2017, 02:01 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
How about we do this before we spend other people’s money on some kids we don’t even know:

Make sure our own children are law abiding and productive human beings who can care for themselves. Next maybe help our relatives or our friends and neighbors so that their children can be productive too.

Then let’s talk about how to save the children for the entire country.
I can't disagree with this. Productivity and a collaborative attitude starts at home.

Old 11-26-2017, 02:29 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,155 times
Quote:
Then don't have a family until they can afford it

Again, should have thought about how much the kids cost before having them. I'm just saying.

I don't understand this BIG HURRY to having kids. The poorer people are, the more hurry they are in to popping out kids. Why is that?

As I have said earlier, and I know I sound like a right wing nutjob for saying this, but the world does not owe you or anyone else anything. People need to stop popping out kids expecting the rest of society to help raise the kids.

I'll do what I can to help. But as long as I'm alive, I will continue to tell people to stop behaving like bunny rabbits.
Most poor people aren't that intelligent. Their poor family planning is a result of this. They aren't in a hurry to have kids. They usually don't plan to have kids (though some do). Most are just having sex and pregnancy happens. It shouldn't be surprising that people who are functionally illiterate and who aren't capable of long term planning are the ones pumping out the most kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies