Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 02:07 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

How are you going to find 150 MILLION semi-autos? Many with no id, have never been registered? Pipe dream.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:09 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Here is the annual conversation on this:

School shooting
Mentally illness
Signs were all there to intervene
Ban guns
And nothing happens!

Well, Trump did take a step in the wrong direction by reversing an Obama law that attempted to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...mental-n727221

Until Congress develops a spine and passes some legislation making it more difficult for people to obtain large capacity weapons specifically designed to kill people, I agree with Troyfan that they're complicit in these monthly school gun murders.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:11 PM

417 posts, read 345,277 times
My problem with restricting gun ownership is what it would mean for rural area's. The nearest police law enforcement to us is 37 minutes away, If someone broke into my house I'm not waiting for 37 minutes for the police to show up and risk my life and my families life. I mean gun control may work in a place where there's a cop on every street, and you can call and have them show up right away, but for many rural residents that's not the case, and a gun is a good protection.

Furthermore, I have wolves, bears, coyotes, and other deadly animals right outside my door. If I didn't have a gun and a wolf or bear charged me, how am I suppose to protect myself? Bear Spray will just p*** them off. I have a right as a rural resident to defend myself when the government will not.

Also what about the Alaskan Natives who hunt with guns for subsistence. Are we just suppose to say to them sorry you need to give up your livelihood because people in the cities can't handle guns?

Old 02-15-2018, 02:17 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Give them an inch and they'll take a mile. "Assault weapons" are the low hanging fruit, so they'll want to ban them first. Then when the next shooting happens with a semi-automatic handgun, they'll come after those too. They won't give up until there's a complete and total ban.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:17 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,886 times
This all reminds me of prohibition. In the years leading up to prohibition activists went nuts over spousal and child abuse and gun violence by drunk men. They all blamed alcohol, rather than the people. They protested and rallied and all the newspapers at the time called for an alcohol ban. Obviously prohibition was a massive mistake because it led to all sorts of problems; a huge black market, mass incarceration, massive corruption within the government, bootlegging. Point being activists rarely think about the unintended consequences of the laws/social change they are pushing.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:19 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
And nothing happens!

Well, Trump did take a step in the wrong direction by reversing an Obama law that attempted to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...mental-n727221

Until Congress develops a spine and passes some legislation making it more difficult for people to obtain large capacity weapons specifically designed to kill people, I agree with Troyfan that they're complicit in these monthly school gun murders.
They have created the problem, how do you wish government fix it?
The solution is right in front of our faces.
You have the liberty to make a choice for yourself, or has government also hampered that?
Defend yourself, or chose to let someone else defend your life. Your choice and your kids choice. They are people too.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:20 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Folks, this is what the gun nuts do. They deflect, deny, obfuscate. They bring up knives, cars, explosives. Self-firing guns, even. Anything to hide their complicity in the atrocities they enable.

These kinds of replies and the unwillingness to accept responsibility that they reveal are proof that guns must be controlled far more stringently than now.

These people can only be trusted with one gun, maybe two. And only a gun that can be loaded with a single bullet. No cartridges or magazines or other devices that makes it easy to kill a lot people quickly.

Nuts who are found in possession of guns more lethal than these (once they are prohibited) should be imprisoned. They are clearly menaces to society.
A gun that held one bullet would have been fun when I was in Vietnam for a year.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:21 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
This all reminds me of prohibition. In the years leading up to prohibition activists went nuts over spousal and child abuse and gun violence by drunk men. They all blamed alcohol, rather than the people. They protested and rallied and all the newspapers at the time called for an alcohol ban. Obviously prohibition was a massive mistake because it led to all sorts of problems; a huge black market, mass incarceration, massive corruption within the government, bootlegging. Point being activists rarely think about the unintended consequences of the laws/social change they are pushing.
It reminds me of MADD when we took action against drunk drivers.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:21 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
If we can't get laws passed to enact reasonable gun controls maybe we need to start by passing laws that prevents house and senate members at the federal and state levels from taking a single penny from the NRA. I'll bet they'll start governing differently if they aren't beholding to their nursemaid.
They get much more money from big pharm, not even close.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:23 PM

37,165 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
A gun that held one bullet would have been fun when I was in Vietnam for a year.
That was a military weapon. If you aren't in Viet Nam or another hot zone any more, I would suggest you probably don't still need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies