Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 12:24 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
How many times have you been confronted by a criminal with a weapon?

How many times has your house burnt down?

none probably?

Does that mean you don't need smoke detectors/fire extinguishers?

Old 02-15-2018, 12:25 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Eddie, close but no cigar, first of all, the founders did not accept the concept of a "true democracy" this is why we are a Republic. The founders recognized the fact that it was the responsibility of all citizens to be able to defend this country and their property, hence, a citizen militia. Nothing has changed in that aspect, the only thing that has changed is people wanting to disarm the citizens. Now if you really think that disarming the masses will stop people from mass killings, your living in a different reality than I. Firearms are just weapon of first choice, take that away and they will find another, maybe build a bomb, or use an automobile. Then we can bad all substances that might be used to build a bomb, and ban automobiles. WE can keep the automobiles but lets ban people from using them. Your chasing a rabbit down a never ending hole.
That's fine that you want to keep your guns. I just want you to pay insurance for every gun you own, be financially and potentially criminally liable if you "lose" that gun, and be entered into a federal database.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:25 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,674,025 times
Default If criminals don’t obey gun laws then why do we have any laws?

I always hear this rather absurd argument from NRA types that gun laws don’t work because criminals don’t obey laws. Well of course criminals don’t obey laws that’s what makes them criminals. So, if gun laws don’t work then why have any laws at all? I mean criminals are just going to break them, right?

Old 02-15-2018, 12:27 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,450,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
I always hear this rather absurd argument from NRA types that gun laws don’t work because criminals don’t obey laws. Well of course criminals don’t obey laws that’s what makes them criminals. So, if gun laws don’t work then why have any laws at all? I mean criminals are just going to break them, right?
Yes criminals will break them, that's what makes them a....CRIMINAL! What a stupid post. Murder is illegal, does that keep people from committing it?

Old 02-15-2018, 12:32 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,931,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Eddie, close but no cigar, first of all, the founders did not accept the concept of a "true democracy" this is why we are a Republic. The founders recognized the fact that it was the responsibility of all citizens to be able to defend this country and their property, hence, a citizen militia. Nothing has changed in that aspect, the only thing that has changed is people wanting to disarm the citizens. Now if you really think that disarming the masses will stop people from mass killings, your living in a different reality than I. Firearms are just weapon of first choice, take that away and they will find another, maybe build a bomb, or use an automobile. Then we can bad all substances that might be used to build a bomb, and ban automobiles. WE can keep the automobiles but lets ban people from using them. Your chasing a rabbit down a never ending hole.
I've heard this silly "logic" a thousand times. Didn't buy it then, don't buy it now. Trying to draw a false parallel between guns and automobiles or bombs is ridiculous, everyone knows this. Guns are an extremely effective weapon of mass lethality, a nearly perfect weapon for anyone wanting to slaughter people in groups; a gun is small but deadly. VERY easy to obtain by almost anyone, and relatively cheap.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:32 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,674,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Yes criminals will break them, that's what makes them a....CRIMINAL! What a stupid post. Murder is illegal, does that keep people from committing it?
That’s what I stated Einstein. You might want to up your reading comprehension. But you didn’t answer my question. Why have any laws then if criminals will just break them?

Old 02-15-2018, 12:35 PM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
How many times has your house burnt down?

none probably?

Does that mean you don't need smoke detectors/fire extinguishers?
I liken legal, concealed carry of a firearm like home owners insurance. I don't expect, nor ever want need it, nor use it, but carry it anyway.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:39 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post

I was thinking the same and we could add most drugs to this idea.
Heroine is against the law but that hasn't stopped people from shooting up and killing themselves.

The vast majority of gun owners obey the laws of their states. They are good upstanding people that love America and the shooting sports that is such a part of our heritage.

The majority of people say no to drugs and we can add excessive alcohol consumption to this list as well.

Mass shootings are a mental health issue that is actually a rather recent development in the history of the USA.
We need to figure out what makes a deranged individual pick up a gun and kill as many innocent people as possible.

In Florida did that killer have specific targets and when he had killed them he moved on to others just for the fun of it?
Was this how he planned to make his mark on the world?

It is not guns but a mental health issue.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:40 PM

613 posts, read 360,813 times
Therefore it's not about laws.

It's about banning guns whatsoever.

All civilized countries did that and have rates of gun murders multiple below what the US has.

It isnt hard, bum.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:46 PM

764 posts, read 235,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
That's fine that you want to keep your guns. I just want you to pay insurance for every gun you own, be financially and potentially criminally liable if you "lose" that gun, and be entered into a federal database.
Then try to get those things passed into law. Then stand by while they are struck down in the courts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies