Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 11:45 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
A typical leftist "position". "I can't prove what I want is legal or even good for the country. So let's just disobey every law I don't like and steal from the people who object."

Note that thugs and other criminals have exactly the same position.
Ok. I feel like you're on the verge of making a point.

Anyway, if a law is passed then by definition, you aren't breaking the law to follow it. If your point is that Liberals will make laws that violate the Constitution... oh well? So will Conservatives, so come up with a better argument. At least I can admit that I don't hold the Constitution to be sacrosanct and acknowledge when it's stupid instead of playing the Cognitive Dissonance game.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:46 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Hollywood movies are seen all over the world in many many countries.

Wonder why only Americans are susceptible to being so influenced by it.

A culture of violence? Yes--caused by our out of control use of guns.
Mass shootings, and murder by people using guns, and other tools happens all over the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers

Old 02-15-2018, 11:47 AM

764 posts, read 235,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
It is strange. These folks pick up on a law written more than 200 years ago, written for the life of 200 years ago and then try to apply it in todays world.

Eventually, something will be done, not sure what that might be, taxation does come to mind.

But the point is being reached.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Hollywood movies are seen all over the world in many many countries.

Wonder why only Americans are susceptible to being so influenced by it.

A culture of violence? Yes--caused by our out of control use of guns.
I would argue that you have it backwards. Our out of control use of guns stems from our violent culture. Otherwise, other societies with access to guns would exhibit the same problems.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:49 AM

764 posts, read 235,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Ok. I feel like you're on the verge of making a point.

Anyway, if a law is passed then by definition, you aren't breaking the law to follow it. If your point is that Liberals will make laws that violate the Constitution... oh well? So will Conservatives, so come up with a better argument. At least I can admit that I don't hold the Constitution to be sacrosanct and acknowledge when it's stupid instead of playing the Cognitive Dissonance game.
Then follow procedure and change the constitution, or get the votes to enact the laws you want that will not be struck down in court.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:53 AM

7,276 posts, read 5,288,966 times
One of these days the discussion about such atrocities will not always go back to the left this and the right that. Society & government bottlenecks itself, and makes it so very difficult to even begin trying to work on the issue at hand.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:53 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,003,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
OK, I will accept that. You may want to do a little research though. There are many handguns that can accept magazines which hold twenty, or thirty rounds. The AR-15's most common magazine is probably a twenty, or thirty round mag. When I target shoot, I usually put five rounds at a time into a twenty round magazine. I shoot for accuracy in a relatively slow manner. I have other rifles that are far more powerful, with the ability to inflict greater damage due to the larger cartridges in which they shoot. A typical hunting rifle designed for larger game is potentially more dangerous.
My dad bought me a Marlin Model 49 in 1958, I was 8 years old. The .22 rifle held 19 rounds in the tube, it was a semiautomatic. I used it to shoot varmits and target practice, never once thought about shooting up the school with it.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:55 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
It is strange. These folks pick up on a law written more than 200 years ago, written for the life of 200 years ago and then try to apply it in todays world.

Eventually, something will be done, not sure what that might be, taxation does come to mind.

But the point is being reached.
If you don't like the principle the country was founded on 200 years ago and still applies today, your welcome to find a country of your own liking... I am not even sure why are you still here...

Old 02-15-2018, 11:56 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,599,470 times
how many times has a bad guy come into a government complex and murdered a bunch of innocent kids.. or come into an army base and done the same...ill wait.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:56 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
My dad bought me a Marlin Model 49 in 1958, I was 8 years old. The .22 rifle held 19 rounds in the tube, it was a semiautomatic. I used it to shoot varmits and target practice, never once thought about shooting up the school with it.
Not yet anyway.

But others have acted on the impulse.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:00 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
Then follow procedure and change the constitution, or get the votes to enact the laws you want that will not be struck down in court.
We'll follow your lead. Until then, the 2nd Amendment is a travesty of the Constitution. The fact that only 3 countries have that right on their books should show how meritless it is as a natural right. America, for getting a first crack at a true democracy got a lot of things wrong out of the gate that we've been impossibly slow to fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies