Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 09:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Tell that to the Vietnamese, Afghanis, the Continental Army, and others that stopped super powers, and just made it not worth their while any longer.
Don't forget to add Columbian rebels,Cambodia and several others I've forgotten about. It cracks me up when people somehow believe that the U.S. government can or even would be willing to fight it's own citizens for anything less than a coup attempt.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:52 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
The usual tired retort of one who thinks the government can and should do everything. Guess what...... I bet they'd not use Nukes,tanks or anything like that on the U.S. citizenry. That's just silly,stupid and childish.

One gun you're right BUT there's more than just "one" or have you not been paying attention...
What is silly stupid and childish is paranoid citizens who arm themselves because they think everyone is after them and dangerous.

And if the government wanted to subjugate the country, they would.

Do ya think the government is not aware that all kinds of yahoos are out there with guns and would not take that into account? They sure would use bigger weapons.

How illogical to think one needs a gun to prevent the tyranny of the government, but also thinks that when the government comes after them, they will be kind and compassionate and not use big weapons that would kill a few citizens.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:54 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,819,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
What you don't understand, is those so called rights are not given to you by the Constitution, you have those rights because you are a human being, they are natural rights. They were added to the Constitution to prevent the federal government from infringing upon those rights.
When the Cconstitution was written more than 200 years ago the US didn't have standing army. Only the militia. That was it.

So what does the 2A say? Read the first part of it carefully.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:58 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,287,874 times
Quote:
While we are re-evaluating the Bill of Rights, the 2nd amendment, lets not forget the the 1st amendment, or the 4th and the 5th. Progressives would like nothing more that to just do away with the Bill of Rights all together. The Constitution has work very well for the last 237 years, it has even survived attacks on it like the one you suggest. I suggest if you want to live in a country with limited liberty then the United States is not for you, in other words, go find a country that suits your ideology but don't change my country to suit you. Liberty has its risks.
Again, I was clear that I have no answers. The simple point is I believe "something" needs to be done and this increase in such violent acts should not be ignored for the simple excuse of infringement of rights. I still don't understand why so many are afraid to equate change over time and its effects on written laws, rules & regulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
When the Constitution was written, women couldn't vote. There were times when only landowners could vote--how would you have felt if you were renting? Things change and the Constitution changes a little bit to keep up with the times.

We are not ruled by England anymore. And now we have an army. We don't need people like Paul Revere anymore, riding around telling people to get their guns--we have an army instead, we have the National Guard. Just like the fire department--people used to be required to keep a fire bucket in the house and all would run to put the fire out. Now there are fire departments instead.

Now we have an army instead of needing individuals to keep weapons in their homes. If you want a gun for hunting, that's a different story, fine.
I don't want to dig into those who have guns and use them responsibly. My whole thought process is for government and people getting away from strictly a hardware viewpoint of what needs to be done and think more psychologically, because again, it is people behind the guns deciding on how they will use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
If the middle is rationalizing away our rights then it's no less radical than the fringes are.
And why do those who hang onto rights think that everyone is saying take them all away? Forget the far left (or far right) and instead use some common sense. I personally never subscribe to wholesale change on any level.

Quote:
What you don't understand, is those so called rights are not given to you by the Constitution, you have those rights because you are a human being, they are natural rights. They were added to the Constitution to prevent the federal government from infringing upon those rights.
A gun is a product sold by a business. So I have a "natural" right to get one. But some products have crossover purpose, and not all should subscribe to "natural", and that's just how I feel. Guns are for sport AND for killing, dual purpose. To continue to believe that "I'm free an can do anything I want" is what is slowly deteriorating society. And full government control of course is not the answer.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
In most households both parents have to work just to survive. No one is home to homeschool.
Well, tell that to the 2 million + that are home schooled now. Of course that doesn't count the online schools that now exist so add those to the mix. A parent doesn't necessarily have to be home anymore.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:00 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,799,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Millennials don't know what that is

Home school evereyone. Cheaper and safer.
After a meeting at the school the other night I have seriously thought about homeschooling my son for high school. Then I had to make him log into his class information online. Almost 2 hours later if I was a smoker, I would have been smoking. lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
The kid was batsh1te crazy but legally no one could do anything. He would have found a way to kill if guns were unavailable. I'm still waiting to hear what kind of drugs he was on.

The school and law enforcement did what they could do except put the guy in a mental hospital. That is what they used to do but now it's cheaper to give them drugs and let them live near YOU. That being the case I'd like to have a gun to defend myself.
I saw a picture of the kid this morning when I turned on the tv so I could watch some Olympic stuff while I ate breakfast. The first thing I thought was that he looked high.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:04 AM

4,559 posts, read 1,438,260 times
AR 15 is a mass murder weapon.

In Indiana, VP Pence made sure to pass legislation to allow guns to be concealed in vehicles on school campuses. I think he got paid, like, 3 million $$$ from NRA for that move.

Vote Republicans the hell out of every office in the land.
They support batterers and murderers.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:05 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
I don't understand how the media has not identified the parents or the owner of the guns... Usually it's known in the first couple of days...

Old 02-15-2018, 10:06 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post

In Indiana, VP Pence made sure to pass legislation to allow guns to be concealed in vehicles on school campuses. I think he got paid, like, 3 million $$$ from NRA for that move.

The AR 15 is no different, other than looks, from most other hunting rifles. Most of the others have been around for many years. There is no difference in function.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:09 AM

34,236 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post

Your statements are untrue, and idiotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies