Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to the unemployed?
No one will work because we will tax the robots 6 16.67%
We will subsidize cybernetic enhancements to allow all to keep up 4 11.11%
The unemployed will slowly die off because they will lose hope 9 25.00%
The unemployed will be killed off by a robot-powered dictator 17 47.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 05:05 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,334 times

Advertisements

The robot owners will hire the employed to fight each other to death in stadia. It will be the only ''job'' the average unemployed person will find. Team sports as we know it now will fall by the wayside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 05:12 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
H
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoLogic View Post
Automation will only apply to jobs that are highly repetitive and that are predictable, like flipping a burger. Until we get a working AI I don't think things will change drastically. You can't get a robot to work at maintenance or fixing equipment. There will be less reason to allow immigration. Why bother with immigrants when you can program a robot? The robot doesn't require a salary, sleep, and will never complain. The policies of some corporation toward immigration will change in the future.
Nonsense. We can already make AI capable of making music, LYING and solving complex mathematical proofs.

AI will program itself and machines will be made out of materials in the future that will literally never break. The idea that automation will bring new types of jobs for repair and programming is vastly overblown. AI will be mankind's last invention. How can humans fix something no human on Earth can understand which has been observed by robots and AI through evolvable hardware experiments? Because that's already happened https://www.damninteresting.com/on-t...n-of-circuits/

Last edited by fibonacci; 11-29-2017 at 05:23 PM..

Old 11-29-2017, 05:20 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,361,298 times
Voted for option #3, sadly enough.

I've even heard theories that the "opioid crisis" is due to unemployed working class folks who have given up hope and use those drugs to numb the pain

And forget about all the propaganda regarding the "low" unemployment rate. The REAL rate in the US and nearly all other countries is far higher than world governments let on...

Old 11-29-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
A good percentage of the unemployed factory workers, coal miners, farmers, ... will find work in the service industry.
Too bad many service industry jobs (especially restaurants, retail, etc.) are especially vulnerable to automation.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:45 PM

More automation news:

Great News From McKinsey: Robots Will Take 800 Million Jobs Worldwide By 2030 | Zero Hedge

Old 11-29-2017, 06:22 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Note this is asking what you think will happen, not what you want to happen.
well

according to liberals like Nancy Pelosi, it will give everyone a chance to do the things they want, like painting or music....they will probably push for something like a standard living payment to all. they will push for the liberal utopian dream of 100% poverty for all

Old 11-29-2017, 07:08 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
well

according to liberals like Nancy Pelosi, it will give everyone a chance to do the things they want, like painting or music....they will probably push for something like a standard living payment to all. they will push for the liberal utopian dream of 100% poverty for all
Poverty is relative. In the distant future the poor will either get their monthly digital money allowance or their basic necessities handed to them and have all the time they want to play video games or have virtual sex. The middle class shouldn't disappear, and we will always have the rich.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:31 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
H

Nonsense. We can already make AI capable of making music, LYING and solving complex mathematical proofs.

AI will program itself and machines will be made out of materials in the future that will literally never break. The idea that automation will bring new types of jobs for repair and programming is vastly overblown. AI will be mankind's last invention. How can humans fix something no human on Earth can understand which has been observed by robots and AI through evolvable hardware experiments? Because that's already happened https://www.damninteresting.com/on-t...n-of-circuits/
I agree with this to some extent...but with a powerful enough of a government supported by the people, we could make the design of sentient robots illegal, and to me that sounds like a good idea...for the robots' sake. I'm okay with genetic modification for the most part, not of human beings quite yet maybe, but definitely at some point because we know what it's like to be organic beings. We don't know what it's like to be mechanical life though so it would appear more experimental to me to design robotic life, life that knows its alive and has a sense of want that matters to it on some emotional level.

Therefore, I would hope that robots would remain merely tools rather than sentient beings who would desire to replicate themselves, and therefore we'd be capable of banning some of their production so that humans wouldn't at least go entirely obsolete.

Also, even if we let inventors do whatever designs they want, I'm still not convinced we'll have teachers and actors and public speakers and executives and politicians and those sorts of creative-thinking jobs replaced by robots anytime soon. Mathematicians though? If you are considering becoming a mathematician and you're in high school...you might want to consider a second choice if you have one.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
well

Well, what is meant by utopia here? I could see an environment in which everybody gets their basic needs met, and I could see an environment where everybody gets free internet access and education. I could also, however, imagine an environment in which most people can't get regular jobs so it's nearly impossible for anyone except for the ultra-rich to go out into the woods and build the house of their dreams.

We already are able to produce more than we need in first world environments. Advanced machines would only add to that. Advanced computer programs would make planning resource distribution much more plausible.

I could imagine a world in which everybody gets just about whatever they want...so long as you don't require physical resources for it. So you can have all the education, internet access, and maybe gaming you want. If you want to go build a tree house for your son though, that would require limited physical resources so you might have to spend an eigth of your life savings or something.

I could go for a society in which everybody gets their basic needs met. However, if most people don't have money then we're going to have government bureaucrats, or at best computer programs, possibly determining who are the best authors and teachers and paying them...and that sounds like a dystopia to me. Ideally, some forms of artificial intelligence will be banned so that there are still ways for people to earn a paycheck.

In the most idealistic scenario I can imagine, everybody gets free internet access and their basic needs met, and humans have plenty of jobs as entertainers and teachers and leadership positions and those sorts of creative jobs robots would have a hard time dealing with...at least if we ban the development of AI beyond a certain level. There could also still probably be a few jobs open for janitors and positions that require simple labor but robots would just be too bulky for. I would expect a much higher unemployment rate than now though. We'd have a problem of people wanting to have more and more children that wouldn't necessarily be contributing anything to society though, and that could end up being a problem. Maybe people would get their basic needs met, except for housing, so that if you have 10 kids you or they better have a good job of else they'll be living with you for their lives.

Last edited by Clintone; 11-30-2017 at 02:38 AM..

Old 11-30-2017, 05:33 AM

We're probably going to have to have stronger government controls in the future just because of environmental consequences of our growing population, maybe even without some type of technological singularity.

What would really solve a lot of our people's problems in the future, what would really provide people with more freedom, be more environmentally friendly, and be much easier for whatever computer programs might distribute resources among society in the future would be for there to be fewer people...but that's not going to happen. We'll just keep increasing over time, although hopefully technological advancements slow that down more, as it tends to slow down in nations with higher standards of living, particularly in the future when people become less valuable as workers.

And no, that doesn't mean the government will send out eugenicist robots to euthanize the undesirables. That will never happen, because of empathy. Maybe someone could begin putting things into the water to sterilize people or something though in a few decades. I'm sure that's not happening now but, if you get a society in which most of the wealth is generated by robots, and higher population only causes more problems, you might get some people who want to put things into the water to sterilize people. You might even get enough of the population to want fewer people for a law to be passed limiting the number of children couples are legally allowed to have eventually, but I think that would be a long way off...like over 60 years or so from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies