Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2017, 02:48 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,851,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Just when you think things can't go any lower, something like this happens and you see that there truly is no bottom.

There truly is no bottom with SEWER SLIME-Trump!

Old 11-28-2017, 03:07 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Can't help but wonder what the Navajos talked about after Trump left.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:36 AM

8,386 posts, read 4,372,592 times
And yet the Navajos were so gracious and classy despite the awkward situation they were put in. Maybe they were concerned that Trump would make them walk all the way to Oklahoma.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:55 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,291,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Can't help but wonder what the Navajos talked about after Trump left.
...probably about how bad he smells AND that he’s a raging insensitive idiot.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:08 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
I wonder how many of Trumps defenders would have got up in front of the whole world and reminded two elderly war heroes that they're still Indians. Maybe that's why he is being defended. They too probably couldn't resist pointing out that you're still an Indian no matter what you did for our country. That's why he is a racist, he can't not think about race and ethnicity. It's always us and them with racist. People voted for Trump because he is so dumb he can publicly embarrass people and remind minorities who they are.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 11-28-2017 at 04:55 AM..

Old 11-28-2017, 04:13 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
So you're basically saying that he shouldn't be expected to act with some degree of adult-like maturity?
Oh, he can be adult-like when he wants, but he thinks its funner triggering Liberals who are so heavily invested in criticizing him for every word that comes out of his mouth.

Yeah, sometimes I wish he would keep quiet, but then what would Liberals do if they're not complaining about Trump????

Old 11-28-2017, 04:14 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Journalists have spent lots of time of different aspects of this subject. Re what I bolded above...that sounds as though it hadn't occurred to you that journalists wouldn't have looked into whether Warren had ancestors on the Dawes Rolls or not...and yes, journalists have.

The long ago thread I mentioned in another post on this thread (about Warren, and the controversy that erupted in 2012)....I don't remember if it was on this site or not, but I have a feeling it was. Emotions ran high on that thread on both sides, and there were many informative links posted to it. Re what I bolded above, I did an internet search...."are Elizabeth's Warren's ancestors on The Dawes Rolls" to see if any of the links that I remembered from that other thread would come up. Sure enough, one did:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...r-what/257415/

^^^^^ IMO, one of the good things about the above article is that the author is trying to be as far reaching as possible, tries to be fair, and 'makes points on both sides' and 'in the middle'. It also includes a lot of embedded links to other articles. Among many other points, the author makes a similar 'lack of definitiveness' (for lack of a better way to put it) point that emm74 makes on this thread, and she also points out that Warren didn't attempted to 'join', and also didn't attempt to get any related U.S. Govt. or Tribal or Nation related benefits, thus never had to provide any proof to the satisfaction of any such entity. One of her last points was that, although it likely wouldn't conclusively settle anything, the Warren could silence her critics by taking a DNA test. I know someone else posting to this current thread has read the article linked above, as there is a part of a post from that person (that mentions Marco Rubio) that is directly from the linked article.

What the most enduring debate in that other thread narrowed down to was this:

Let's call the two sides 'progressives' and 'non progressives'. BOTH sides acknowledged that Warren listed in a law directory that mentioned NA ancestry. Warren ended up acknowledging that in a statement, in which SHE admitted that SHE gave that information to both The University of Pennsylvania (her previous employer) and to Harvard, AND she doubled down on being proud of her NA heritage (Nothing wrong with that . Through marriage there were two (and now there are four) Navajo households in my extended family). That statement also happens to have been linked in THIS thread (post #95 by texan2yankee).

What 'progressives' (Ps) felt mattered:

NOT misrepresentation vs. no misrepresentation, BUT rather IF anything was GAINED/any BENEFIT had accrued as a result. If no benefit had accrued to/nothing had beed gained by Warren, then nothing else mattered.....and since there is a good chance she didn't...then 'no harm, no foul'.

What 'non progressives' (NPs) felt mattered:

That Warren had NO business asserting NA heritage unless she had concrete proof, which she doesn't, and by allowing the continued the assertion to continue, and doubling down on it, she lied. That whether she gained anything or not is irrelevant, and that even bringing that up is an exercise in moral relativism.

^^^^^ There was no resolution to that, as it is pretty much the definition of an impasse...never going to be any agreement. IIRC, it got so absurd that it almost seemed like Clinton's 'definition of is' 'pretzel'.

One thing that I don't ever remember being brought up on that thread, neither by posters nor in links, was an interesting wrinkle that you mentioned....a personal oath. It was unclear to me from your related post whether or not a personal oath would satisfy, for lack of a better way to put it, either a U.S. Govt., or a Nation 'proof hoop' (proof to either). In Warren's case that is irrelevant, as my link above informs that she never attempted to 'join'/get any benefits that she would have to provide proof to obtain.

IME, there isn't one lockstep way that all Native Americans view Elizabeth Warren and this issue. Perhaps I am just fortunate, but I haven't run across anyone personally who thinks that anyone who holds any particular view on this issue, no matter the view, holds that view coming from a feeling of hate or insensitivity. I'm not coming from any such personal place, but if you feel I am....well, what is that saying?...it is what it is.
I don't give a flip about Elizabeth Warren or the horse she rode in on. That's between her and her voter's now.

What the POTUS did in that ceremony was just awful. In front of Jackson to boot.

Donald Trump is no fool. What he did was 100% intentional. He and his fans are taking us all down.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:27 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I don't give a flip about Elizabeth Warren or the horse she rode in on. That's between her and her voter's now.

What the POTUS did in that ceremony was just awful. In front of Jackson to boot.

Donald Trump is no fool. What he did was 100% intentional. He and his fans are taking us all down.
Hugh Hewitt agrees with you that it was 100% intentional on Trump's part. He just played Warren's reaction....'He (Trump) think's he's going to shut me up, well he isn't blah blah blah'.

Hewitt them said the he thinks Trump did this to get a reaction out of her...which he did....and that this is influence her/motivate her/etc. because he (Trump) wants Warren to be the nominee for the Democrats for POTUS in 2020.

Hugh then went on to another subject.

If Hugh is correct, then perhaps (although Hugh didn't say this) Trump thinks this will benefit him in the long run/for 2020.

If so, I don't see it. I don't see this benefitting Trump at all.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:30 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post

Aside from the racial slur, the entire televised ceremony was held in front of Andrew "Trail of Tears" Jackson.

Trump undersands visuals and optics. It was an insult to these and other brave Americans and a wink to his racist base.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:42 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Why are people so upset about Elizabeth Warren and Native American ancestry? There are tons of people around the country who think that they have Native ancestry because someone in the family had a slightly darker complexion than the rest of the family, had high cheekbones or straight hair. There appears to be tons of people descended from the Cherokee nation alone. It's in vogue now to claim Native ancestry, earlier generations didn't want to be related to those 'savages'.

Anyway, Trump was supposed to be honoring Native American Veterans. Unless she was a veteran, Elizabeth Warren's name shouldn't have come up. And someone at the White House should have recalled that Andrew
Jackson's 'strained relationship' with the Native community and moved the ceremony elsewhere.
They are upset because she is not supportive of The Cheeto, plain and simple 😒
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies