Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 03:29 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,510,539 times

Advertisements

Aside from the voting patterns of the hardcore evangelicals, the problem is more of a socioeconomic one in rural areas. No one wants to address that part. Liberals that fall under the stereotype of living in big cities and being wealthy can be quite "tone deaf" to a rural person's struggles.

Just remember, all of those states were blue in the 90's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 03:31 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,834,015 times
Urban Americans are a core threat to our democracy

3,637 posts, read 1,700,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
As somebody who lives in rural America (in the South), I can say this is not far from the truth. Most people here want a right-wing Baptist theocracy where homosexuality is illegal and young earth creationism is taught in public school science classes. They only support things like free speech and free press when it benefits them and they want to restrict opposing viewpoints from getting the same treatment. Their ideal society is something that isn't far off from "A Handmaid's Tale." The only "rights" they support are gun rights.

This is the Internet so I have to say that of course, I know that not EVERYONE who lives in rural America think like this. However, this worldview is quite common.

Yep, I have lived in these areas, and you are right on. Bible thumping , gun toting, and closed minded. Not all, of course, but a lot.

45,427 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Holy Crap! The sheer, undiluted hatred of men, of whites, of gun owners, of those who are rural, of those who live in the south is stunning. I can't believe what I am reading in thread after thread on this site. People like you ^^^^ slither throughout the Internet, throughout the media, throughout politics, throughout our education system, and are the real problem in this country. I can see it in faces, in voices, in "jokes", in writing. You're eat up with hate.
And they say rural people live in a "bubble".

Old 11-28-2017, 03:32 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I love it when the big city liberals start in with this. Do they really not realize that rural and urban MUST coexist? From farmers to truckers to oil and gas lines and water supply, people like Joy would be in huge trouble without the rural. Same thing goes in the opposite direction. WTF is the matter with people? (Don't answer. Completely rhetorical. Too many people are stupid - whether rural or urban.)
don't be silly both fox and OP are purposely taking Joy out of context. notice how the OP misquoted to make it all sound so much worse.

This is what 'SOME' of Right does. They misrepresent the Left endlessly in order to instill fear.

Just think of what many dems want. tolerance of people who are not you not me, and that includes those crazy religious folk. The dems don't care just don't try to force others to believe or life that lifestyle choice...

But if the right ever admits that they have to face the fact that they are the ones creating the problem, and who wants to admit that?

Every dem i know merely wants the opportunity to live free and unburdened by others. I have never met a dem who wants to close down a church or stop someone from praising their god.
I never met a dem who says they want to take everyone's guns, that too is a lie. I have met plenty who want background checks and to end military grade weapons being sold to the public. just as the public is not allowed to buy hundreds of dangerous chemicals..

Mostly if the Republicans stopped trying to scare people into voting for them there would be no real divide between 90% of the pop.

both sides have their fringe crazies who want zero tax, or a free for all and such like.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:34 PM

10,479 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Thank god we have the electoral college. Hillary's popular vote margin came from all the illegals who voted.
When Dianne Feinstein made the remark that she represents 47 million voters who do not want concealed carry weapons, I had to laugh and be like, so your 47 million is more important than the other 200 million who might disagree. And this is exactly why we have an electoral college. A person living in NYC, where there is a cop at every corner, is never going to have the same kind of life style as someone who lives out on a farm, 30 miles away from a police, hospital or firefighter, and they need to be able to defend themselves in case some Charles Manson cult comes by and tries to do something.

Heck, I wonder if the reason that serial killing is so high in the cities is because the people are given this false sense that they are always safe because of all of the police, bright lights, and a person just a whisper away. They let their guard down, and then bad things happen because they are not as aware of their surroundings.

1,850 posts, read 1,139,609 times
They only support things like free speech and free press when it benefits them and they want to restrict opposing viewpoints from getting the same treatment.

Sounds like just like democrats to me.........

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Urban Americans are a core threat to our democracy
Over 70% or Americans live in cities or suburbs now. So rural Americans are the odd man out, not urban Americans

Old 11-28-2017, 03:35 PM

10,479 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
The electoral college is actually close to being rendered moot. 10 states and DC have already agreed to implement the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact that will be triggered when enough states have agreed to participate to guarantee that the winner of the popular vote will always become President. As of now, the participating states control 165 electoral votes. Once they have control of 270 electoral votes, there will be no need to go through the formal and impossible process of eliminating the electoral college via constitutional amendment.
Do that, and I will be glad to participate in a civil war.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:36 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Yep, I have lived in these areas, and you are right on. Bible thumping , gun toting, and closed minded. Not all, of course, but a lot.
to be fair here in puget sound region i remember buying a home only to find the neighbor was a religious loon who had placed her piano right at the front door to play it and sing her religious hymns at the those passing...

there are nuts everyone, the midlands has no special claim on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies