Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2017, 08:07 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,169,235 times

Advertisements

The electoral college gives a disproportionate amount of power to rural voters. Time to dump the EC and go to a popular vote. One person, one vote, no matter where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 08:12 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
The electoral college gives a disproportionate amount of power to rural voters. Time to dump the EC and go to a popular vote. One person, one vote, no matter where you live.
So long as we tie that to taxes I'm in. We all pay our fair share. No "I'm poor" and want a free phone, my kids get free meals, I get discounted services for my cable. Let's do what's right and everyone pulls their weight.

Let's get this done!!

Old 11-28-2017, 08:15 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,547,733 times
Quote:
I'd rather dump CA.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:15 PM

10,479 posts, read 4,046,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Yes, a lot of farms are subsidized, which is why I said this goes both ways. The family farm is not dead, though. There are still plenty of them. I'll bet you three ways from Sunday that if you drew a line through the middle of California, that the lower half of the state wouldn't have anything nice to say about the upper half. It's gotten to the point of being totally toxic, and that part of the problem is coming mostly from the urban side. I've never seen so much disregard, contempt, and downright hatred from Americans directed to other Americans. It's disgusting. Not only that, but as another poster said, "That's how you get moar Trump." These liberal talking heads would do well to tone it down, but it seems they can't get past Hillary's loss long enough to see the damage they're doing.
You would think they would be using this time to find and groom another contender for the next elections. Now is the perfect time to do it, and if I were them, I would steer clear from anyone with ties from either the Clintons or Obama. Another reason why Trump probably won was because he distanced himself from the toxic republicans like the Bush's.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:19 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
I don't feel like rural people are a threat. I believe strongly in the Electoral College and states rights. We're moving toward a country where states and local communities have a greater effect on our rights and well-being than the federal government, and I think this is a good thing for both conservatives and liberals, and everyone in between.

In addition, urban areas are where people move to when they want to live in a modern, progressive world. And the benefits are clear. In general, people in large urban areas have higher rates of well-being in key areas compared to those in small towns and rural areas.

Large Cities Top Small Towns, Rural Areas in Well-Being

Old 11-28-2017, 08:25 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,072,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
She was wrong to tar all roll voters with the same brush but there’s a large demographic i.e. hard-core Trump supporters who are cruel, stupid, amoral and unpatriotic. They are very dangerous.
I voted for Trump. I support HIS support for law enforcement, the military, the 2A, and all of his attempts so far to slow illegal immigration. I support his pick for the SC. I support his anti-refugee stance. I lived in the south for 20 years before moving out west, and now live in the lowest populated state in the Lower 48.

I am a college educated, white woman, small business owner, legal immigrant (now American citizen) and an atheist. I am married to a medically retired cop who was seriously injured in the line of duty. He is also a military combat veteran. My son is a military veteran with two tours in Iraq under his belt.

What EXACTLY constitutes a "hard core Trump supporter"? Would I fit your description? And would you consider ME to be cruel, stupid, amoral and upatriotic? Would you consider me dangerous? If so, why? If not, why not?

Old 11-28-2017, 08:57 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
As somebody who lives in rural America (in the South), I can say this is not far from the truth. Most people here want a right-wing Baptist theocracy where homosexuality is illegal and young earth creationism is taught in public school science classes. They only support things like free speech and free press when it benefits them and they want to restrict opposing viewpoints from getting the same treatment. Their ideal society is something that isn't far off from "A Handmaid's Tale." The only "rights" they support are gun rights.

This is the Internet so I have to say that of course, I know that not EVERYONE who lives in rural America think like this. However, this worldview is quite common.
Excellent post! Sadly, I learned that the hard way when I moved to Tulsa for a job. Loved the weather, and low CoL, but NEVER felt welcome or accepted there.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:59 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,169,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
... And would you consider ME to be cruel, stupid, amoral and upatriotic? Would you consider me dangerous?
A lot of Trump voters are good, well-meaning people that fell for Trump's slick sales gimmicks. He's a snake oil salesman. He and the Trump News Network (Fox + Breitbart) where lies are the truth and the truth are lies. A lot of Trump voters have regrets and admit they made a mistake, which is why his support sits stagnant at 37% but he got 46% of the vote. That 9% drop are "Trump regretters." Maybe you'll be one soon.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:12 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,749,349 times
Quote:
Why, because you tried to get illegals voting, flip votes from Trump to Hillary, get dead people voting and Hillary still couldn't get 270 electoral votes?

Old 11-28-2017, 09:22 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,569,957 times
The Electoral College treats all fifty states equally; why do Hillary and her fellow liberal wackos despise the EC in the first place?

Is it any wonder that their pollsters whiffed on calling the election last year and figure to do likewise in 2018 and 2020 since the Democrats have no bench and still can't comprehend why they lost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies