Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 07:42 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Cesspools?

Oh, I wouldn't call them that.

Small towns are often what is left when all the smart people move out.
And yet prior to Trump, that's where ten of our last eleven presidents came from. It's interesting that such stupid small town people can produce 91% of our presidents.

Maybe you are on to something. Stupid small town people are producing and educating our presidents and that's why we have such a bloated, wasteful federal government today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 07:44 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,755,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I'm one of those who has lived in both. Grew up in Provo, Utah. Not exactly rural, but both sets of grandparents had very small farms on the edge of town. I lived in Seattle and the surrounding suburbs for a while, spent 30 years in NYC, am now in the 'burbs of NJ, but keep my main residence in rural PA.

This hating on the rural areas is worse than tiresome; it's going to stir up some really bad blood - to a boiling point. There are absolutely benefits and drawbacks to life in either location. One isn't any "better" than the other. It's just preference, and the urban dwellers that feel the need to denigrate and slander the rural seriously need to lose the pretentious attitude. If you took half the posts bashing those in rural areas from this board and applied them to any other group... they're as bad, or worse, than anything you'd find on Stormfront. Do you posters realize how venomous and sick you are?

They've convinced themselves that their form of hatred is uniquely acceptable, self righteous, justified. There's nothing in their consciences to curb their negative energies because by their own rules they are doing nothing wrong. They don't see how dangerous that is because the way they've framed the rhetoric that shapes their ideology, there can never be too much of it.

This has happened before and it has never ended well.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:55 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
To see something different, it's called tourism. I have taken vacations to Canada and the Rocky Mountain states, but would never live either place. Your theory doesn't hold water
Yes, Canada and Colorado are horrible places to live

Live where you like, but there are good and bad urban and rural areas.

I used to watch a show called Northern Exposure and dream of living in Cicely Alaska and having a pet moose. My friend thought I was nuts and moved to Miami. I moved to mountain area, found moose not good pets but nice to see on occasion. We have lived in different places since but she's city and I'm country. Newsflash- people are different. Don't fall for stereotypes and political divisions. Also, some rural places are liberal, like Vermont.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:12 AM

865 posts, read 623,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The Progressives HATE this concept which is the basis for the American Republic, because they hate America, and its values which are largely rural. Self sufficiency, helping your neighbor, hard work, supporting your military, paying your taxes, keeping your family together, honesty. All values that Progressive despise.
Exactly.

Progressives want to control everyone, top down rule. They can pass any "nanny state" local or state law they want in their states & communicities as long as it doesn't violate the constitution, but that's not good enough. They want to force their ideals and way of life on rural America through Federal laws, wheras we just want to be left alone, and will return the sentiment in kind.

My family visited NYC over the summer and hated it. Not for us. We understand that's how they want to live, but we're not going to call them names because of it. We want to live the way we do, but we're called "backwoods", "bible thumpers", etc...just leave us the hell alone.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:14 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
...It's interesting that such stupid small town people can produce 91% of our presidents.

Maybe you are on to something. Stupid small town people are producing and educating our presidents and that's why we have such a bloated, wasteful federal government today.
Fascinating how the self proclaimed "enlightened & intelligent of America" holds such contempt for so much of their country and fellow Americans.

Must be a terrible way to live.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
FYI, those "farmers" in the heartland are big corporations based on the coasts that produce corn for cattle and high fructose corn syrup that goes into almost all processed foods.
Total lie. This is from the USDA:

Five Facts to Know about Family Farms

1. Food equals family – 97 percent of the 2.1 million farms in the United States are family-owned operations.

2. Small business matters – 88 percent of all U.S. farms are small family farms.

Quote:
The days of the family farm are dead
another total lie. See above.

Quote:
and these farms are also heavily subsidized by the Federal Government. That means taxes from the 'liberals'.
All federal subsidies should end. The government should not subsidise any products or businesses.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:18 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,510,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I'm one of those who has lived in both. Grew up in Provo, Utah. Not exactly rural, but both sets of grandparents had very small farms on the edge of town. I lived in Seattle and the surrounding suburbs for a while, spent 30 years in NYC, am now in the 'burbs of NJ, but keep my main residence in rural PA.

This hating on the rural areas is worse than tiresome; it's going to stir up some really bad blood - to a boiling point. There are absolutely benefits and drawbacks to life in either location. One isn't any "better" than the other. It's just preference, and the urban dwellers that feel the need to denigrate and slander the rural seriously need to lose the pretentious attitude. If you took half the posts bashing those in rural areas from this board and applied them to any other group... they're as bad, or worse, than anything you'd find on Stormfront. Do you posters realize how venomous and sick you are?
I realize there are ignorant people everywhere but the attacks on rural people and stereotypes is offensive. It's not helping and I say this as a Dem. I mentioned yesterday on this thread that most of these predominately rural states were blue in the 90's. Alabama too. Think about that. Even MSNBC went off their news script yesterday and chastised the dems for this. The majority of the country is MODERATE. It's not being reflected in either party now.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Fascinating how the self proclaimed "enlightened & intelligent of America" holds such contempt for so much of their country and fellow Americans.

Must be a terrible way to live.
This is true. They can't handle people who don't live and think like they do so they label them stupid and deplorable.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
I realize there are ignorant people everywhere but the attacks on rural people and stereotypes is offensive. It's not helping and I say this as a Dem.
This is true. And the more these idiots spout their hate for rural people the more millions of voters will be energized and keep electing Trump.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:27 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,947,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
They've convinced themselves that their form of hatred is uniquely acceptable, self righteous, justified. There's nothing in their consciences to curb their negative energies because by their own rules they are doing nothing wrong. They don't see how dangerous that is because the way they've framed the rhetoric that shapes their ideology, there can never be too much of it.

This has happened before and it has never ended well.

It's called illusory superiority... it is inevitable when a person conflates their politics with their identity.

In little over a year, the Resistance™ has moved from dehumanizing Trump to dehumanizing anyone that won't dehumanize Trump to their satisfaction... something wicked this way comes indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies