Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 01:18 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,379,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Good luck getting food to the table when "those backwards rural folk" stop feeding the arrogant urban fools who are so keen on that Farm to Table gig.

A true expression of "biting the hand that feeds them"

I rest my case
And what would the farmers do if they lost the immense market that the urban population provides? And all of the creature comforts that fom living in a largely urbanized society, even if you don't live in a city yourself? Rural and urban...each relies on the other to lead the most prosperous and fulfilling lives possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 01:19 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Brain drain is a serious issue for a large percentage of rural rural areas. In the rural area I lived in there was much discussion of it's ill effects on the area and what could be done to counteract it.
Why would an educated person live in a rural area among Trump supporters. It's almost like natural selection.

The Big Sort

Home

Old 11-29-2017, 01:21 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
And what would the farmers do if they lost the immense market that the urban population provides? And all of the creature comforts that fom living in a largely urbanized society, even if you don't live in a city yourself? Rural and urban...each relies on the other to lead the most prosperous and fulfilling lives possible.
Rural farmers will be left to barter among themselves while global markets complete for urban US dollars. IMO the election of Trump is the beginning of what will be the Balkanization of the U.S.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:22 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Why would an educated person live in a rural area among Trump supporters. It's almost like natural selection.
Ahh. Yet another one who demonstrates such contempt for Americans that you know nothing about.

This speaks more about you, than the millions you condemn.

Must be a miserable experience in that pit of self righteousness.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:24 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Rural farmers will be left to barter among themselves while global markets complete for urban US dollars. IMO the election of Trump is the beginning of what will be the Balkanization of the U.S.
How silly.

The world has 2.5 Billion people which it can't feed and millions more are being born every day. American farmers, the most efficient and productive food producers on the planet, have nothing to worry about.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:28 PM

46,313 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Huntsville, Alabama....the largest % of Engineers per capita in the United States....

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/fjle.../#29f5966a39cc

Top 2 cities in the United states for engineers are in the south....

Old 11-29-2017, 01:29 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,379,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Yet for the most part people still don't have to lock their doors and live in fear for their lives like they do in ghettos and barrios.
The vast majority of people living in metros do not live in barrios or ghettoes, and the overwhelming majority of city residents live out their lives without being personally affected by violent crimes. You hear about the exceptions. And in the rural area i moved from there is now a major issue with thefts and burglaries due to the drug epidemic, which didn't used to be the case.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:29 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:

The Big Sort

Home
I do because I can't afford to move without a job lined up first and 95% of employers will only consider local candidates. I would love to move to a liberal urban area but it just isn't possible at this point in my life.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:30 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,448,989 times
Quote:
Rural farmers will be left to barter among themselves.
I kinda want that to happen actually. I bet millions of others wouldn't mind living like that either.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:30 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Not in the UK. Not even close.

And you are wrong about the EC too. EC does not represent voters. It represents population as spelled out in the US Constitution. It's very fair.
Theoretically parliaments would have members from equal numbers of citizens. That is how the Canadians start out and then they mess around with it to provide slightly out of balance representation to certain provinces and territories. It is however much more balanced than the US EC.

Nothing particularly "fair" about the EC. It was originally conceived as a brain trust to actually determine the President and was later redefined as a weighed voting system providing unreasonable power to low population states for no good reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies