Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 12:15 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,448,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Laughing out loud. It's become the standard answer for people from the right who don't have an actual response.

I will say, you all make such good followers.
What you and the other poster said is complete nonsense about the EC favoring one side. It's as hilarious as you can get. It's the voters that pick sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 12:21 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,379,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Funny, I live in a rural area in the south, and I have never, ever met anyone like this. Most just like to have the country lifestyle. Wrap around porches, peace and quiet, horseback riding, having big dogs and acres of land that is all yours. So I just think you are full of crap.
I lived for twenty years in rural southeast Ohio and met NUMEROUS people like the poster you are responding to described. That poster pretty accurately described the culture in much of rural America.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:24 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeaux View Post
Exactly.

Progressives want to control everyone, top down rule. They can pass any "nanny state" local or state law they want in their states & communicities as long as it doesn't violate the constitution, but that's not good enough. They want to force their ideals and way of life on rural America through Federal laws, wheras we just want to be left alone, and will return the sentiment in kind.

My family visited NYC over the summer and hated it. Not for us. We understand that's how they want to live, but we're not going to call them names because of it. We want to live the way we do, but we're called "backwoods", "bible thumpers", etc...just leave us the hell alone.

And people in NYC and similar areas, are not going to call you names either. NYC has long been a refuge for misunderstood people who leave closed minded small towns and rural areas and find freedom and acceptance.

I like visiting rural areas, red states, small towns etc. but I go there with an open mind.

Rarely to I access "how the locals live" and would that be "for me" or not.

NYS is diverse. You would have many people in largely rural upstate NY who would agree with you.

No place is monolithic..

Even the larger cities and college towns in "red states".

Old 11-29-2017, 12:25 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
I lived for twenty years in rural southeast Ohio and met NUMEROUS people like the poster you are responding to described. That poster pretty accurately described the culture in much of rural America.
What do you know about Rural SC where it's 70% Black?

Old 11-29-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So conservatives do not represent "standard American values"? Where do you live? San Francisco? Those ARE American values. Just because you don't like them doesn't make a difference. The electoral college is there to protect the vast majority of America from Progressive Communism.
The vast majority of Americans? Clinton pulled millions more popular votes than Trump. The majority of Americans are not Communist lol. Where does this stuff come from? And Trump is the legitkmately elected President. But he was not put there by the vast majority of Americans.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:27 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
The vast majority of Americans? Clinton pulled millions more popular votes than Trump. The majority of Americans are not Communist lol. Where does this stuff come from? And Trump is the legitkmately elected President. But he was not put there by the vast majority of Americans.
Nope.

Trump won the popular vote in 50% more states than Hillary.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
What do you know about Rural SC where it's 70% Black?
Where did I claim to know about rural SC? But a lot of rural America is much like SE Ohio, and that poster's description of such places is spot on.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:31 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Shouldn't it be "exurban Americans represent a core threat to our democracy" if we want to be more accurate? Only 15% of Americans live in rural areas and only 9% of that 15% work in agriculture.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2016/...merica/509828/

Old 11-29-2017, 12:31 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
What you and the other poster said is complete nonsense about the EC favoring one side. It's as hilarious as you can get. It's the voters that pick sides.
Obviously, it is NOT the voters who "pick sides". Remember the last election? Did trump win the popular vote? No. So there you have your answer.

I love it when people say that something that affects ALL Americans "should be decided by the states"

The presence of the EC affects every election. How is this a "states rights issue"?

Some things are states rights issues. Others effect everyone, are human rights issues and thus are NOT states rights issues.

Like slavery, Jim Crow, and the EC. It's gotta go.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:32 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Start from the smallest state and rack the Trump vote as each bigger state is added. You will discover Trump is way ahead in the smaller states by an amount only slightly smaller than his victory margin in less than half the states. . The bias is obvious.

The proper defense is that is simply the edge given by the Constitution to the small states to protect them from the big populous ones. Then you can have the discussion about the logic that suggests the small states should be protected from the big ones.

I am unable to figure any reason why Wyoming voters are much more important than CA ones or why Wyoming requires protection. Wyoming is a very rich state. That might suggest CA needs protection from WY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies