Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 01:56 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Nonsense. Canada starts with a clean definition each census period. Divides the total population by the base number of members. It then adds certain Constitutional additions that unbalance things a bit. Favors the lower population provinces over Ontario, Quebec and BC.

Why would a state get 3 EC votes? There is something about Wyoming that makes its population more worthy than that of CA? I might argue that Wyoming gets a vote so no one is entirely left out...but past that simply population is the fair way.
population count doesn't get to determine politics... it isn't a popularity contest

and the US is not a strict majority rule "democracy"... else we would not elect representatives
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 01:56 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
The point of course is thast they are small burgs mostly with limited numbers of engineers.

Number 5 likely blows the top 4 away if you look at the total numbers. And if you went to smaller communities you can probably find even larger numbers. I suspect that some of the Rochester NY suburbs easily got bigger per 1000 than Huntsville. But small populations.
Are you kidding? Rochester NY. LOL

The Marshal Space center is located in Huntsville.

And America would have never landed men on the moon had it not been for the 100s of 1000s of engineers & scientists working there to design and build the Apollo systems. Later they would build Skylab and the Shuttle systems.

It's one of the most high tech places on the planet.

(You guys can continue to make these broad based negative generalizations about millions of people that you don't know anything about. But you only demonstrate that which you try to accuse.)

Old 11-29-2017, 01:57 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Brain drain is a serious issue for a large percentage of rural rural areas. In the rural area I lived in there was much discussion of it's ill effects on the area and what could be done to counteract it.
Rural brain drain and right wing political extremism go hand in hand. As the economic conditions deteriorate in rural areas, the residents with talent and ambition will flee the area to find better opportunities. As the talent and associated consumer dollars leave the area, the decline that is causing them to leave will accelerate leading to more business closures, schools short on funding, hospitals that can't afford to stay open, etc. The people that are now left behind in the rural areas that are slowly dying, they will hear an incessant drumbeat from Fox News, right wing hate radio, and fundamentalist preachers that their plight is the fault of liberals, immigrants, gays, or any other convenient scapegoat. Rural dwellers are constantly immersed in a culture that blames their problems on sinister outside forces looking to take away their "REAL AMERICA" way of life.

As the most intelligent, highly educated people leave the area taking their political moderation with them the politicians will be forced to double down on the divisive rhetoric to take advantage of the us vs. them beliefs that already run deep in rural areas, which Sarah Palin illustrated perfectly with her VP campaign rhetoric about "Real Americans".

The real lifeblood and fuel for rural politics is anger and resentment for people that don't live in rural areas. A reality that the GOP and the right wing media machine learned to exploit. That is how you end up with hillbillies in Possum Holler voting for a billionaire from New York City while believing 100% that he is going to miraculously halt the major shift in the economy that is taking place and they will get their job back at the same factory in the same Mayberry USA as their fathers and grandfathers.

Last edited by shorman; 11-29-2017 at 02:08 PM..

Old 11-29-2017, 02:00 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
population count doesn't get to determine politics... it isn't a popularity contest

and the US is not a strict majority rule "democracy"... else we would not elect representatives
At some point the dam will likely break. When little states like Wyoming elect a president over huge tax paying states like California and New York, there will come a movement that just starts defunding the little states and making them so poor, they are exposed for what they are. As it is, urban America just needs to stop buying from rural America. Every citizen can participate in this. Keep dollars at home, buy local, don't send money to the middle of the country or the south.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:02 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
All it means is Northrop Grumman has a group in small town Alabama. They can pay them less there. They aren't even headquartered there because it's...Huntsville Alabama. But by all means, wait for that big population explosion in Huntsville Alabama where Northrop Grumman employs a whopping 1255 workers, most of which are hiring former local military. It's almost sad how wannabe rural America is.

Northrop Grumman, which is among the area's largest employers with roughly 1,255 workers in Huntsville/Madison County, hosts veteran-friendly job fairs, enlists retiring senior officers and hires soldiers to serve as field system representatives.

Northrop Grumman expanding tech workforce in Huntsville | AL.com

We are not talking about just workers...we are talking about engineers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Why do conservatives hold engineers in such high regard? In fact, it seems to be the only profession conservatives hold in high regard aside from law enforcement and military.

You should read the posts I'm responding too.....they say they south is not smart....we have the to 2 cities in the United States that have the largest amount of engineers.....

I did not know Forbes was....conservative

Old 11-29-2017, 02:02 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post

We don't elect representative in the EC. We simply send voters committed to a candidate. It is a popular election by state warped by a systemic flaw that favors low population states.

I would note that no one actually has a defense of the EC protocol. "Just the way we do it". Even if it makes no sense.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:04 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 16 hours ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times
Name-calling, ridicule, castigation of "rural conservatives", "liberal urbanites", "conservative heartland and/or South", "liberal coasts" --- this doesn't get us anywhere. Yeah, you may think "but they started these ugly caricatures", but that also doesn't get anybody anywhere. This has been going on ever since pre-democratic (little 'd') times. All it does is sustain and worsen strife and divisions.

To quote Astronomer Phil Plait, "How many of you no longer believe in those things ... because somebody got in your face, screaming and called you an idiot, brain damaged, and a retard?", and "all being a [jerk] does is score cheap points".

Side A did something bad and Side B goes Saul Alinsky in the wrong way against Side B (i.e. ridiculing the other side in particularly personalized contemptuous ways). Then B retaliates likewise against A, and the circle goes around. It makes it pretty hard to even "agree to disagree", much less actually come to real, long-term solutions (or even short-term 'reasonable compromises for the moment'). Seriously, do you really think Serbs, Croats, Bosnian children of the 60s and 70s grew up saying "When I grow up, I wanna kill and hurt as many of those people as I can?". This stuff doesn't just come out of nowhere. It's largely based on some or another repeated bad experiences one has had with "the other".

Something to think about, don't you think?

Old 11-29-2017, 02:04 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
We don't elect representative in the EC. We simply send voters committed to a candidate. It is a popular election by state warped by a systemic flaw that favors low population states.

I would note that no one actually has a defense of the EC protocol. "Just the way we do it". Even if it makes no sense.

So, you're saying that because Hillary won 20 states and the popular vote....she should be president?

Old 11-29-2017, 02:10 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
We are not talking about just workers...we are talking about engineers....

You should read the posts I'm responding too.....they say they south is not smart....we have the to 2 cities in the United States that have the largest amount of engineers.....

NOT TRUE.

Cities with the most engineers include:

Los Angeles
Houston
Washington DC
San Jose
Seattle
Detroit
Dallas
Boston
New York
Chicago

https://www.engineering.com/JobArtic...Engineers.aspx

It's funny seeing rural America call the educated "elitist" while pretending they are home to cities of the most educated.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:13 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
I didn't see any posts that said "the south is not smart." I did see posts that mentioned the rural South, but the rural South is only a part of the South albeit a large part. Most people understand that there are places like Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh and Dallas in the South.

Quote:
I never said anything about Forbes. I asked why conservatives hold engineers in such high regard because it seems conservatives frequently bring them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies