Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 04:16 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
In education, engineering schools teach things that are not politically charged and do not require critical thought or nuanced thinking. Polytechnic universities and institutes of technology, are the only elite college that the right seems to approve of....
Forgetting that your post is nothing more than a set of broad based negative generalizations against millions, you went completely off the rails when you said that engineering does not require "critical thought" or "nuanced thinking".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 04:19 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
They call them "elitist" because they can always be counted on to be snotty, condescending, arrogant snobs that look down their noses at people in rural areas.
Seems on C-D, it's the opposite. Some rural people sling names at the people from the cities, calling them names like "elitist" just because the people live in cities. And calling them elitists and arrogant snobs and falsy saying that look down their noses at others.

Mostly it's the rural people that are denigrating the city people, constantly calling them names, time after time after time. The city people don't say a word and don't look down their noses and go about their daily life. Instead, the city people are scratching their noses and wondering why the rural people are slinging mud at them and calling them names for no reason. The weirdest part is, the rural people are saying that the city people started it.

It's quite odd. Seems Bannon has done a real good con job with this one too. Getting the rurals to hate the city people for a fake reason.

If you look at the name calling posts, 90% are unprovoked name calling against the city people. Then a city person gets sick of being called an elitist and retaliates with name calling in return. Then you get: 'see, see, all the city slickers are elitist and think they are better than us'.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:36 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,399,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
MSNBC host Joy Reid thinks that rural Americans are “the core threat to our democracy” and pointed to a series of tweets by liberal author Jared Yates Sexton that claimed Trump supporters “do not believe in the Constitution or any founding principles unless they're advantageous” as proof of her far-left theory.

She tweeted: "This is the core threat to our democracy. The rural minority -- the people @JYSexton just wrote a long thread about -- have and will continue to have disproportionate power over the urban majority."

Anti-Trump MSNBC host Joy Reid thinks rural Americans are 'core threat' to democracy | Fox News

"Rural Americans" = white people who do not adhere to the progressive ideology.
I would assert that her statements cross a very dangerous line, and likely should have the net effect of calling more historical attention to the atrocities in Russia after the communist Revolution.

Essentially, her comments are the equivelant of blaming Jews for the State's problems.

Millions of rural Russians were killed because the communists saw them as threats to their system:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decossackization

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dekulakization

Old 11-29-2017, 06:30 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,950,716 times
You’re absolutely right. But this begs a deeper question: if our system is the result of what was necessary and expedient in 1787, why do we behold that compromise, 240 years later, as having been anything more than a mere compromise? Why do we regard is being unassailably noble and sacrosanct?
[/quote]

We don't don't necessarily HAVE to hold to that compromise. But what happens if that Jenga piece gets pulled out? Would we still have a country without it?

States like NY, CA and TX still have a lot of power outside the electoral system. With the exception of the Senate, rural states have little power. I don't see maybe 2/3 of the states giving up that power.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:31 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I can only speak personally. Originally a "coastal" person, I moved to the small-city Midwest, for professional considerations. This was a smart career move, but utterly stupid in terms of lifestyle preferences. I compounded the stupidity by moving to the countryside, because I didn't want to deal with the high taxes of the city, or the homeowner-association mentality of the suburbs.

You’re absolutely right. But this begs a deeper question: if our system is the result of what was necessary and expedient in 1787, why do we behold that compromise, 240 years later, as having been anything more than a mere compromise? Why do we regard is being unassailably noble and sacrosanct?

My field, aeronautical (or aerospace) engineering, is ineluctably immersed in defense. One of the most shocking realizations for me, was how many of my fellow engineers were the first in their family to go to college, and how many have agricultural or blue-collar backgrounds.

Not at all shocked that many were first generation, or come from rural backgrounds.

Good post.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:52 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Forgetting that your post is nothing more than a set of broad based negative generalizations against millions, you went completely off the rails when you said that engineering does not require "critical thought" or "nuanced thinking".

Outside of the profession of engineering, it does NOT require those things.

Engineering students are routinely exempt from writing and literature requirements. They usually do anything that they can to escape an education that includes political science, psychology, history - and more.

My own Alma Mater gives them a pass here.

This would be OK at MIT, Cal Tech, GIT, WPI, RIT and other technical universities. I am not sure if the most elite do this.

Not at a regular university or college.

We need engineers. My grandfather was a civil engineer. (Columbia) and he met my grandmother at Columbia - she was a student at Barnard.

I have absolutely nothing against the engineering profession. We need engineers. Particularly t rebuild our crumbling infrastructure, which the right denies, as they do climate change and sometimes evolution.

In a broad sense, the right does not appear to understand higher education. With the elite right, there appears to be no problem. They continue to send their kids to well respected universities, while encouraging others to settle for trade school or Liberty University and other right wing "Christian" colleges.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:00 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,688,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
My field, aeronautical (or aerospace) engineering, is ineluctably immersed in defense. One of the most shocking realizations for me, was how many of my fellow engineers were the first in their family to go to college, and how many have agricultural or blue-collar backgrounds.
I am in Mechanical/Manufacturing Engineering & I am also a 1st generation college graduate. It definitely seems to be a ticket out of poverty when you start where I had to start.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:29 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
I lived for twenty years in rural southeast Ohio and met NUMEROUS people like the poster you are responding to described. That poster pretty accurately described the culture in much of rural America.

I lived for 30 years in rural central Illinois..........I never met hardly anyone like "the poster you are responding to"

Old 11-29-2017, 07:41 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post

I did not know Forbes was....conservative
Forbes is VERY conservative. He ran for POTUS on the GOP Platform with the "flat tax" being his big issue - but they are - say - 8 out of 10 toward the conservative end of things.

It's not that the South is "not smart", it's more that modern development started later and a number of factors (especially slavery and hookworm) lowered the productivity and therefore it's taking some time to catch up. But I have no doubt that the South can - today - prosper in any way they want.

The problem seems to be that they don't want to. That is - overall. They don't look at their fellow Americans as part of "their problem" preferring to speak of the number of government-doled engineers.

That's a big difference in states like MA, VT and even CA and MN. The Politics revolves around how we can improve things for everyone - and even for animals, the air, the environment, our grandchildren, etc.

NOT just how much we take home.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:44 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
More proof MSNBC isn't about news at all. Who is a threat to democracy? The far left coastal liberals acting like fascist Nazi brownshirts doing everything they can to shut down free speech and suppress votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies