Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 03:06 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Oh. I was under the impression that conservatives were actual people. Guess I was wrong.
I asked you to tell us who they are. You won't or can't, yet you speak about them. Speaks for itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 03:10 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
Better check on that. Last I looked, slavery wasn't legal in Pennsylvania or New England. ....
Could a slave owner bring a slave into Pennsylvania or NE in 1789? You betcha. And supported by local law too.

Did the factories in Pennsylvania and NE balk at using raw materials produced by the slave trade? Absolutely not. They loved it.

Maybe you should do some more checking.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:15 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
Better check on that. Last I looked, slavery wasn't legal in Pennsylvania or New England. Several more quickly came around and by the start of the Civil War, slave holding states were in the minority.
Furthermore, the writers of the Constitution knew that slave holding areas would soon be in the minority and therefore wrote the "a slave equal 3/5ths. of a person" clause into into it for the purpose of getting the Southerners who were already in the minority to go along. The South needed that artificial white population boost to even begin to keep up. That, and the electoral college.

For a republic, the US is sure unevenly representative. Think of how many people a senator from Wyoming represents and compare it to how many a senator from California represents. The electoral college works on the same principal: unequal representation. Boosting rural and slave states' representation in Congress was the original reason.
Nope. First free state was Vermont on its admission in 1791. Virtually all the northern states were free by 1804.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:17 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,950,716 times
The people who moan about the electoral college and the political strength of rural areas don't understand US political history. There would never have been a United States if the rural states weren't given equal footing with the populous states. Period. Full stop. So if you want a US, you'd better come to terms with strong rural areas because it's been baked in from the beginning.

Amusingly enough, the leftists have inadvertently been doing their best to strengthen the rural areas by congregating in a handful of giant cities. Because of the electoral college, all of their extra votes in New York and CA don't mean jack squat.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:27 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,755,015 times
Quote:
Oh. I was under the impression that conservatives were actual people. Guess I was wrong.
I am actually a balloon animal made by a birthday clown tripping on LSD. And I will always resent that clown for where he chose to put the balloon knot.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:37 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Why do conservatives hold engineers in such high regard? In fact, it seems to be the only profession conservatives hold in high regard aside from law enforcement and military.

Because it frequently interfaces with the military. I agree. It is probably the only profession they like or trust. Engineers are a vital cog in the wheel of the Military Industrial Complex.

In education, engineering schools teach things that are not politically charged and do not require critical thought or nuanced thinking. Polytechnic universities and institutes of technology, are the only elite college that the right seems to approve of.

They also like professions in the Allied Heath fields - hearth informatics, hospital administration, nursing, medical records, radiological technology etc.

They deem these subject as "safe" for their children to study, because they probably will not encounter much philosophy, history, psychology, sociology, cultural anthropology, literature or art history.
These subjects contain shades of gray. They are nuanced. The right hates nuance.

They seem OK with the study of music. I have not quite figured that out yet. As well as K-12 education.

They hate any flexible degree or profession that does not pigeon hole a person for the rest of their lives.

Special hatred appears to be reserved for majors that include "pre-law", social work, or anything that does not yield an automatic job upon graduation.

The right does not like self exploration. To put it mildly. And, they do not appear to be fans of graduate school, either.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:58 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Why would an educated person live in a rural area among Trump supporters. It's almost like natural selection.
I can only speak personally. Originally a "coastal" person, I moved to the small-city Midwest, for professional considerations. This was a smart career move, but utterly stupid in terms of lifestyle preferences. I compounded the stupidity by moving to the countryside, because I didn't want to deal with the high taxes of the city, or the homeowner-association mentality of the suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
The people who moan about the electoral college and the political strength of rural areas don't understand US political history. There would never have been a United States if the rural states weren't given equal footing with the populous states. Period. Full stop. So if you want a US, you'd better come to terms with strong rural areas because it's been baked in from the beginning.
You’re absolutely right. But this begs a deeper question: if our system is the result of what was necessary and expedient in 1787, why do we behold that compromise, 240 years later, as having been anything more than a mere compromise? Why do we regard is being unassailably noble and sacrosanct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Because it frequently interfaces with the military. I agree. It is probably the only profession they like or trust. Engineers are a vital cog in the wheel of the Military Industrial Complex.

In education, engineering schools teach things that are not politically charged and do not require critical thought or nuanced thinking. Polytechnic universities and institutes of technology, are the only elite college that the right seems to approve of.
My field, aeronautical (or aerospace) engineering, is ineluctably immersed in defense. One of the most shocking realizations for me, was how many of my fellow engineers were the first in their family to go to college, and how many have agricultural or blue-collar backgrounds.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:01 PM

46,313 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
NOT TRUE.

Cities with the most engineers include:

Los Angeles
Houston
Washington DC
San Jose
Seattle
Detroit
Dallas
Boston
New York
Chicago

https://www.engineering.com/JobArtic...Engineers.aspx

It's funny seeing rural America call the educated "elitist" while pretending they are home to cities of the most educated.
Your inability to understand "per 1000 employees" is noted......

Old 11-29-2017, 04:05 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,236,703 times
Quote:
NOT TRUE.

Cities with the most engineers include:

Los Angeles
Houston
Washington DC
San Jose
Seattle
Detroit
Dallas
Boston
New York
Chicago

https://www.engineering.com/JobArtic...Engineers.aspx

It's funny seeing rural America call the educated "elitist" while pretending they are home to cities of the most educated.
Rural America doesn't call educated city people "elitist" because they are educated. They call them "elitist" because they can always be counted on to be snotty, condescending, arrogant snobs that look down their noses at people in rural areas. Has nothing to do with their education.

Now you've been educated.

You're welcome.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:06 PM

46,313 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
I didn't see any posts that said "the south is not smart." I did see posts that mentioned the rural South, but the rural South is only a part of the South albeit a large part. Most people understand that there are places like Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh and Dallas in the South.

THe quote below is just a few pages back......uneducated in a rural area, would be "not smart" yes?

Quote:
Why would an educated person live in a rural area among Trump supporters. It's almost like natural selection.

The Big Sort

Home

Quote:
I never said anything about Forbes. I asked why conservatives hold engineers in such high regard because it seems conservatives frequently bring them up.
Not the point. I did not say you said anything about Forbes....

Show us posts where conservatives bring up Engineers....frequently.....I'll wait.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies