Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2017, 12:50 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,008,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Projection? It's the "progressives" that don't believe in the Constitution, and in fact it was Woodrow Wilson, "the father of American progressivism" that coined the phrase, "living document" for the Constitution.

The Constitution is a contract between the States (the Parties to the Contract) which formed the Federal Government (the product of the Contract). It is not a "living document." A Contract cannot be changed by whim of interpretation. Would you like your employment contract to be claimed to be "a living document" by your employer, changeable at his discretion? I doubt it.

Joy Reid (like most MSNBC hosts) is an idiot!
Well, the Constitution can be amended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 12:56 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,008,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
What are you insinuating? That we have to quote news articles which only appeal to the severe partisans here? America has a ton of very real problems, and aligning oneself with either party at this point is pretty futile, so solving our ills will take more than posting stuff such as the OP felt was breaking news, I'm thinking of a civil kind of discourse which respects the notion of differing opinions. Yeah I do get tired of seeing the kind of crap which serves as a fuse for partisan squabbling.
They're not many moderates in this discussion. We serve the purpose of confusing the partisans.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:04 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
America is a REPUBLIC not a democracy.

"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
The pledge is not a founding document nor does it have any kind of legal power in the USA.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:14 AM

716 posts, read 393,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I love it when the big city liberals start in with this. Do they really not realize that rural and urban MUST coexist? From farmers to truckers to oil and gas lines and water supply, people like Joy would be in huge trouble without the rural. Same thing goes in the opposite direction. WTF is the matter with people? (Don't answer. Completely rhetorical. Too many people are stupid - whether rural or urban.)
Great point, although there're some very fine Democrats and Republicans, there're far too many stupid hard liners on both sides.

As far left as I am, I'm alway willing to compromise as much as it takes to move our country forward. For issues that can't be agreed on, let the majority decide. But if you notice, many of the Teabaggers and Trump supporters are in no mood for compromise. They believe compromise is surrendering their 'principles' to the 'enemy within' and they're the ones who are constantly bringing up the subject and predicting a civil war...

Old 11-30-2017, 07:11 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,275,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
Great point, although there're some very fine Democrats and Republicans, there're far too many stupid hard liners on both sides.

As far left as I am, I'm alway willing to compromise as much as it takes to move our country forward. For issues that can't be agreed on, let the majority decide. But if you notice, many of the Teabaggers and Trump supporters are in no mood for compromise. They believe compromise is surrendering their 'principles' to the 'enemy within' and they're the ones who are constantly bringing up the subject and predicting a civil war...
There are a lot that are like that, yes. For the majority of conservatives right now (and this is only my opinion) it's not so much that they think they're surrendering their principles as they are turned off by what the DNC has been choosing to focus their time and energy on. If the DNC would focus on economic issues and leave aside the social issues, I don't think there would be so much animus. This holds true for the Republicans with LGBT, abortion, etc., but they seem to be more split as a party, with some differing views coming out (pun intended). My big gripe with the Republican party is that they say one thing, then do the opposite - most notably the continual increases in military spending when we need to be cutting down our debt.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:46 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
Probably the biggest illustration of this point is CNN host Erin Burnett. For years, she was a pleasant non-partisan host on CNBC, delivering business news. CNN opened up their vault to her a couple of years ago, now she's a venomous anti-Trump hater.
Think about what changed?

Oh, yes, we got a woman abusing, bankrupt, lying bully in the white house.

Yet you act as if you didn't notice at all. But it is her job to notice.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:40 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Classical example of how to lie with statistics.

I was responding to a post that said there were no family farms. I posted that there are 2 million family farms.

That's not a lie.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:41 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

That guy left a few years ago.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:43 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post

What will you compromise on?
Immigration?
Guns?
Taxes?

Old 11-30-2017, 09:11 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,272,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Yet you act as if you didn't notice at all. But it is her job to notice.
It's her job to be bi-partisan. That's what journalists are supposed to do! If all you see if one side, then she's not doing her job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies