Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 04:14 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Not a very smart ideal since the politicians in Washington D.C. would only spend money on NY, NJ, FL, IL, TX and CA... The main population centers of the country. All the other blue and red States would be screwed with the "one person, one vote, no matter where you live" ideal... Why waste federal tax dollars on WI, MI, WA, KS and NV "if" you can simply win over the population/voters in New York City, Los Angeles, Houston and Chicago by flooding those cities and other large urban centers with federal tax dollars that come from ALL the States within the Union?? How fair is that to the rest of the Union??

...Being that you're from California, I assume, your State would be a winner in this plan.

I'll side with our forefathers on this one. I'm pretty sure that when the electoral college was enacted, it was wasn't based on some type of impulse action, soley fueled on an emotional reaction to an election that was either won or lost.

Sorry, but one State isn't more important than any other State WITHIN these United States... If you feel otherwise, you might be part of the problem that WE, as a nation, are facing right now.
This is a myth. Look at other countries that use the popular vote. Heck, Brasil in 1960 even moved their capital from Rio de Janeiro to the newly created Brasilia, so that the interior got better represented
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 04:16 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Nobody that supports the DNC process to elect a candidate has any right to complain about the E.C.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:20 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Nobody that supports the DNC process to elect a candidate has any right to complain about the E.C.
I don't support the Democratic Primary process. I think superdelegates need to go, these days, they are just a hedge so that another Mondale or McGovern doesn't end up on the national ticket, even if it's against the will of the voters

Old 11-29-2017, 04:25 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
MSNBC host Joy Reid thinks that rural Americans are “the core threat to our democracy†and pointed to a series of tweets by liberal author Jared Yates Sexton that claimed Trump supporters “do not believe in the Constitution or any founding principles unless they're advantageous†as proof of her far-left theory.

She tweeted: "This is the core threat to our democracy. The rural minority -- the people @JYSexton just wrote a long thread about -- have and will continue to have disproportionate power over the urban majority."

Anti-Trump MSNBC host Joy Reid thinks rural Americans are 'core threat' to democracy | Fox News

"Rural Americans" = white people who do not adhere to the progressive ideology.
Curious as to why the OP went to Fox to find a quote from MSNBC. Why not get it from the horse's mouth instead of getting the Fox spin?

Old 11-29-2017, 04:37 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I don't support the Democratic Primary process. I think superdelegates need to go, these days, they are just a hedge so that another Mondale or McGovern doesn't end up on the national ticket, even if it's against the will of the voters
Good. Maybe there is hope to get rid of the corrupt process.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:39 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Curious as to why the OP went to Fox to find a quote from MSNBC. Why not get it from the horse's mouth instead of getting the Fox spin?
Most likely because the Fox spin is the point, not the truth of the matter.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:40 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,771,128 times
I wish schools would teach students about the Constitution and our govt. structure. The Senate represents the States as equals and the Congress is there to represent the people. Each State thus gets two Senators and Congressional seats are apportioned by population. It is a brilliant scheme. I live in VT. We have one Congressman given our small population (625,000 people) but in the Senate we are the equal of the other 49, which is what we are, equal. Our interests as a sovereign entity are no less important than California's, and we should have an equal say in the Senate.

And a reminder to the leftists that complain about Red State representation in the Senate, VT is bluer than blue and nobody ever seems to mention that fact when talking about small population States unfairly having two Senate seats.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:52 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
well, one could also say, in the eyes of a tyrannical govt, a patriot would be seen as a terrorist.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:05 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,123,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
As somebody who lives in rural America (in the South), I can say this is not far from the truth. Most people here want a right-wing Baptist theocracy where homosexuality is illegal and young earth creationism is taught in public school science classes. They only support things like free speech and free press when it benefits them and they want to restrict opposing viewpoints from getting the same treatment. Their ideal society is something that isn't far off from "A Handmaid's Tale." The only "rights" they support are gun rights.

This is the Internet so I have to say that of course, I know that not EVERYONE who lives in rural America think like this. However, this worldview is quite common.
Exaggerations from you as usual, but at least you understand what you are up against. The Left's efforts to mainstream freaks, misfits, subversives and skallywags hasn't gone unnoticed.
Remember-----next time you vote, I'm out here cancelling it!

Old 11-29-2017, 05:17 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
As somebody who lives in rural America (in the South), I can say this is not far from the truth. Most people here want a right-wing Baptist theocracy where homosexuality is illegal and young earth creationism is taught in public school science classes. They only support things like free speech and free press when it benefits them and they want to restrict opposing viewpoints from getting the same treatment. Their ideal society is something that isn't far off from "A Handmaid's Tale." The only "rights" they support are gun rights.

This is the Internet so I have to say that of course, I know that not EVERYONE who lives in rural America think like this. However, this worldview is quite common.

Well, as a rural Nevadan I can state with certainty that Rural Westerners don't share this same worldview you are saying is so common to the South. Oh, we have some fundies, running from Baptists to Mormons to a few others, but this is hardly a majority.

Quite honestly we rural types here see the biggest threat to our nation as coming from elitist urbanites and criminal elements. We see the street gangs as Mexican cartel boots on the ground, and old school native Nevadans see the biggest threats as coming from CA cesspools like San Fran and LA.

My opinion is that CA and their sanctuary policies are allowing huge influx of criminal types, to the detriment of not just my home state but the whole country. And these vermin are not staying just in the cities anymore. They are showing up in the rural areas now a lot because of the availability of remote locations for meth labs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies