Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2017, 07:15 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
"Rural Americans are a core threat to our democracy."

No! It is not rural Americans that are a threat to this country... it is the liberals and their policies that are a threat to this country.
He said she said. Again, neither side will agree, so let's just partition the country and be done with it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 07:28 PM

10,479 posts, read 4,046,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Projection? It's the "progressives" that don't believe in the Constitution, and in fact it was Woodrow Wilson, "the father of American progressivism" that coined the phrase, "living document" for the Constitution.

The Constitution is a contract between the States (the Parties to the Contract) which formed the Federal Government (the product of the Contract). It is not a "living document." A Contract cannot be changed by whim of interpretation. Would you like your employment contract to be claimed to be "a living document" by your employer, changeable at his discretion? I doubt it.

Joy Reid (like most MSNBC hosts) is an idiot!
In my opinion, he is the worst president in this country's history. All started when he signed the Federal Reserve into law.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Okeechobee County FL is NOT in the Bible Belt. Try spending some time in rural Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, or Alabama and then try to tell me my perception of rural America is wrong.
Florida is my main residence. I also have farms in rural Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina, and have been to Alabama many times due to a friend. Never seen any of this that you spout. I seen more religious people in the urban areas than I have in the rural.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:38 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Lol rural minority? What they found out, and can't stand, is that it's a big country from NY to CA.

More dreck from the elititst, liberal poo-bahs...

Old 11-28-2017, 07:44 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,082,060 times
Looks like Joy doesn't like all the people in fly over country.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Here are some other good rural values: child abuse, spousal abuse, religious fundamentalism, racism, xenophobia, jingoism, authoritarianism, fear and loathing of anyone perceived to be different, willful ignorance, etc. Obviously not everyone in a rural area has those values, but they are widespread.
Heh, this sounds just like Chicago if you ask me. Last I looked, it wasn't the rural folks causing riots, destroying businesses and property because they didn't get their way.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:48 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Rural areas are a threat to the Left because they contribute to Right-wing electoral college wins and also because they tend to be more Right-wing. That's why the Left is doing its best to try and destroy all of the rural jobs to force everyone into the cities, where they know that, over time, the people will become and vote more Left-wing.
Actually its technological progress and the free market that is killing rural jobs. The economy in 2017 isn't the same as it was in 1950. Coal isn't coming back. Manufacturing has mostly been automated or shipped overseas. The plants that were the core of the small town economy 50 years ago are also gone for good. There is still a place for farming/ranching but unfortunately all that's left in many small towns is service industry jobs. Even those will probably start to dry up once aging baby boomers pass.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Because they're quite successful fighting anti gun legislation.

The whole "nobody took your guns" is like a would be robber that gets thrown down and thwarted by a potential victim and then saying "but I never stole anything"
Some people just don't get it. Reason why we still have our gun rights, is because people like me keep fighting for them. I fear though, in about 100 years after me and other people like me are dead, this country is going to implode with all of the nonsense and bs that both the extreme dems and republicans want to initiate.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:03 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,280,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
IDK, most of my food is grown in California and all the tech is made here or at least based here. I don't see how states like Alabama and Mississippi add any value to my life. If they were to disappear, there would be no change to my life. Now, if the coastal states disappeared then the many people in those states would suffer. I agree that we need to co-exist and there my be aspects that we both depend on each-other for but I don't see it as equal.

FYI, those "farmers" in the heartland are big corporations based on the coasts that produce corn for cattle and high fructose corn syrup that goes into almost all processed foods. Stuff I try to avoid. The days of the family farm are dead and these farms are also heavily subsidized by the Federal Government. That means taxes from the 'liberals'.
Yes, a lot of farms are subsidized, which is why I said this goes both ways. The family farm is not dead, though. There are still plenty of them. I'll bet you three ways from Sunday that if you drew a line through the middle of California, that the lower half of the state wouldn't have anything nice to say about the upper half. It's gotten to the point of being totally toxic, and that part of the problem is coming mostly from the urban side. I've never seen so much disregard, contempt, and downright hatred from Americans directed to other Americans. It's disgusting. Not only that, but as another poster said, "That's how you get moar Trump." These liberal talking heads would do well to tone it down, but it seems they can't get past Hillary's loss long enough to see the damage they're doing.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:03 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Actually its technological progress and the free market that is killing rural jobs. The economy in 2017 isn't the same as it was in 1950. Coal isn't coming back. Manufacturing has mostly been automated or shipped overseas. The plants that were the core of the small town economy 50 years ago are also gone for good. There is still a place for farming/ranching but unfortunately all that's left in many small towns is service industry jobs. Even those will probably start to dry up once aging baby boomers pass.
And it is like this all over the world, not just the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies