Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2017, 06:39 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,755,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Get off your high horse. Ya'll say hateful things all day long about the 'liberal elites". There are threads on here about how a child molester is better than a Democrat. . .

Ya'll know how to dish it out but you sure don't like it when it's served right back to you.
It really pisses you dems off that the Alabama GOP might not let you use dirty political tricks to force them to give you their senate seat, doesn't it? If this was about morality they wouldn't have sat on this 40 year old story until after the primaries. Why let Moore win the primaries if it was so important to keep him out of office? Because it's about the dems winning a normally safe GOP seat, that's why.

I think maybe the Moore accusations still dropped a little too early. The longer the left keeps screaming "YOU HAVE TO GIVE US YOUR SENATE SEAT!" the more Alabama voters start to wonder if they've been played.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 06:47 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
America is a REPUBLIC not a democracy.
Maybe I’m easily perturbed, but whenever I hear emphasis on “republic” vs. “democracy”, what comes to mind is the Roman republic. Rome, by design, had unequal representation. Certain classes of people were, to use an anachronism, more equal than others. Their vote, per capita (it’s only appropriate to use Latin, is it not?) was greater than those of other cohorts (another Latin term, this time misused) of people. And a vast portion of the populace (an English word, but directly borrowed from Latin) had no political say at all. Is this the sort of society that we want in modern America?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
...I have been a long time democrat, but when I seen that they were trying to push legislation to push the rural and farm home owners off their lands to make wave for huge gated communities, plus take away my guns so I can't defend myself out here in the middle of nowhere, I had to tell the dems to F off, and I voted for Trump.
The advent of gated communities (unless that’s a euphemism for prisons) means higher property values. My acres would be worth substantially more, if the acres next door became McMansions. To quote a formerly conservative slapdash Republican president who now looks like a milquetoast moderate and contemplative intellectual, “Bring it on!”

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
So a person in NYC can dictate what kind of laws a farm in Iowa has to abide by, when it's a completely different way of life and settings? No thank you! There is a reason why the electoral college vote exists. It's there to protect the states that don't have the coastal areas or beautiful mountains to bring in large vasts of tourist. Flyover states must be protected by the big cities, just as civil rights are needed to protect the blacks from all the whites in this country. If you cannot understand this logic, then there is no help for you.
But the upshot of this, is that rural Iowa has more sway, per capita (there’s that phrase again… damn you, Romans!), than NYC. So the beret-and-scarf set in NYC is being overwhelmed by pitchforks and overalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Try spending some time in the big cities like NYC, Houston, or LA and try and tell me they are populated by mostly college educated, intelligent elites. ...
Obviously, they are not. But these “elites” have means of finding like-minded persons, with relatively easy means, in relatively close proximity. This is much harder to do in rural circumstances.

For example, I’m a chess-player… not an outstanding one, but I do alright. In NYC, I could probably find a challenging game in the nearest city-park. In my present locale, I’d have to drive 10 miles just to find the nearest city-park. And it won’t have any chess players.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:51 PM

10,479 posts, read 4,046,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Urban areas are as segregated as any place in time. Little Italy, etc. People naturally tend to flock to those of their own race and culture. Duh.
I can vouch for this. In Florida, it's not just the Latino, Black, White or Asian communities, but there are areas and restaurants that cater only to the Cubans, or Mexicans or Haitians or Jamaicans, Vietnamese, Chinese, Italian, Irish. Sure, other nationalities can go into those specific restaurants, but it is advisable to have a friend that is of that particular nationality.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I often hear people argue that the United States is a republic, not a democracy. But that’s a false dichotomy. A common definition of “republic” is, to quote the American Heritage Dictionary, “A political order in which the supreme power lies in a body of citizens who are entitled to vote for officers and representatives responsible to them” — we are that. A common definition of “democracy” is, “Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives” — we are that, too.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.eaa7942b1821

We are a Republic. We are a representative Democracy. We are both and there is no conflict.
Sorry dear, we are a republic. It's the number one reason why we have an electoral college vote, because actual democracies tend to eat themselves (a democracy is akin to 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what's for dinner)

Old 11-28-2017, 06:54 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,755,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Holy Crap! The sheer, undiluted hatred of men, of whites, of gun owners, of those who are rural, of those who live in the south is stunning. I can't believe what I am reading in thread after thread on this site. People like you ^^^^ slither throughout the Internet, throughout the media, throughout politics, throughout our education system, and are the real problem in this country. I can see it in faces, in voices, in "jokes", in writing. You're eat up with hate.
It's sobering, isn't it? Where does this level of contempt and raging disgust coming from today's left ultimately lead them?

Old 11-28-2017, 06:54 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
the electoral college that gives rural areas more power than they should have is the threat to our democracy.

Religion that heavily dominates in these rural areas because frankly they have nothing else to do, is the threat to our democracy.

Education remains on the back burner even in urban cities (granted more intellects flock to cities for jobs). But if education was made priority in this country, free college. We wouldn't have rural America, wishing for the good ole days and wanting to bring everyone down with them.
Rural areas are a threat to the Left because they contribute to Right-wing electoral college wins and also because they tend to be more Right-wing. That's why the Left is doing its best to try and destroy all of the rural jobs to force everyone into the cities, where they know that, over time, the people will become and vote more Left-wing.

Also, I don't want to make us more like a democracy by doing something like replacing the electoral college with direct election, I'd rather do something that would make us more of a republic, like repealing the 17th Amendment and weakening the Left by doing so.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:56 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,187,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I love it when the big city liberals start in with this. Do they really not realize that rural and urban MUST coexist? From farmers to truckers to oil and gas lines and water supply, people like Joy would be in huge trouble without the rural. Same thing goes in the opposite direction. WTF is the matter with people? (Don't answer. Completely rhetorical. Too many people are stupid - whether rural or urban.)
IDK, most of my food is grown in California and all the tech is made here or at least based here. I don't see how states like Alabama and Mississippi add any value to my life. If they were to disappear, there would be no change to my life. Now, if the coastal states disappeared then the many people in those states would suffer. I agree that we need to co-exist and there my be aspects that we both depend on each-other for but I don't see it as equal.

FYI, those "farmers" in the heartland are big corporations based on the coasts that produce corn for cattle and high fructose corn syrup that goes into almost all processed foods. Stuff I try to avoid. The days of the family farm are dead and these farms are also heavily subsidized by the Federal Government. That means taxes from the 'liberals'.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:57 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Florida homeowner's insurance rates have risen substantially while under the GOP controlled FL Governor, State House and State Senate. Don't try to blame Florida's massive home insurance rates on Democrats. Republicans have controlled Florida state government for the past 19 years.

https://www.myfloridacfo.com/divisio...Article244.htm

Gov. Rick Scott vetoes Citizens Property Insurance consumer protections | Miami Herald

Homeowners are paying more for less insurance coverage under Scott, Crist says | PolitiFact Florida
The insurance issue in Florida is a bit more complicated than party vs. party.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:57 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,957,451 times
"Rural Americans are a core threat to our democracy."

No! It is not rural Americans that are a threat to this country... it is the liberals and their policies that are a threat to this country.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I think you need to get out more, then. The rural south is heavily Fundamentalist Christian and ultra-conservative. Look at the kinds of politicians that get elected there.

Even in the north (outside of New England), the rural areas are heavily Fundamentalist and conservative republican. Spend a few years living in a small town in rural Pennsylvania and you’ll know what I mean.
So what if it is Christian? Most blacks and the dominantly black neighborhoods like Baltimore, Chicago and even Belle Glade around my parts, are predominantly Christian in religion and theology. They tend to vote for other strong black Christian leaders as themselves. Both Barrack and Michelle Obama also practiced Christianity. Why is it ok for the black neighborhoods to vote for their people and the Christian religion, but it's not ok for the white person????????

Just admit it, this Joy woman is a very racist individual, and just wants anyone that is not a democrat wiped off the face of the Earth. Either way, her words mean nothing, and I'm pretty sure all the judges Trump is putting into office will make sure that the electoral vote is not overturned by some butt hurt dems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies