Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2017, 11:42 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,114,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
NBC said they have evidence.

Further, Lauer himself has issued the same half-assed admission and heartfelt apology that the best PR firms money can buy are selling to all these guys lately.
I understand they have evidence on one or two but there are now more and I'm sure even more to follow.
That, along with other "offenders" who are now be accused by multiple women is what I was aiming at.

It was pointed out this morning that part of Matt's "apology" actually said word for word what another person's said.
THAT is truly sad and stupid...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 11:44 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,981,456 times
I can't forget too, that he caused the lovely and talented Ann Curry the top position beside him...she was demoted as he made it clear he did not want to work with her. She disappeared from the Today Show, in tears...

The talented Natalie Morales was also removed from the Today show...reportedly she and L had an affair then when it was over, he didn't want to work with her.

Natalie dropped from The Today Show.

Sexual harassment plus being a rather despicable person no matter what his colleagues say...

Now Ann and Natalie are vindicated.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:04 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,829,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
To take this a bit further, is it possible some didn't say no then but are now saying they did say no just because of the #metoo roll that's been started and the potential upside?

In this "get 'em" atmosphere who is going to be believed when it comes down to "he said she said" with no other evidence?
I worked as a broadcast tech for about 20 years. I'm female. Strangely enough, I worked at a CBS O&O when Matt Lauer & Brian Williams were both there. I was stalked & molested by a technician who made it plain & clear that if I complained, he would get me fired & make sure that I never worked in broadcasting again. There was nothing consensual involved. 2 older men told me that they knew what he was up to & that he had been doing it to females for years & getting away with it because he had something on the boss. I left. I kept my mouth shut. I will take it to my grave, because, contrary to what the piece of scum thought, he was nobody. I don't care if he's dead or alive. If he's still alive, I hope he wonders if the other shoe will drop.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:13 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,914,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That isn't the discussion. The issue is non-consent. Of course looks can help, taller men also get preferential treatment over shorter men. Younger over older, etc.

If you are talking about consensual office affairs with the boss, it happens. Usually everyone in the office knows who is doing what with whom. Oh well, as long as the woman doesn't lie about it later. What can you do about office games....life isn't fair. Some people just betray their co-workers and brown nose their way to the top. No it isn't right but none of this has anything to do with harassment of innocent subordinates who have had little recourse.
I don't know how you can easily divide this discussion into consent vs. non consent. The line is not easily drawn. If office relationships are trouble then they should be taboo in all cases. I can't help thinking that in some of these high profile cases that the consent angle was thought to be a go on the man's side. Neither you nor I were there to know the full story but I do think it naïve to assume every allegation was totally innocent on one side and totally brazen on the other.

And the non consensual cases would be so much less if consensual ones didn't further empower men in high positions into thinking it was wanted across the board. Not an excuse by any means, but the discussion of consensual work place romances does go hand in hand with a discussion of the pervasiveness of unwanted sexual advances. One is obviously egregious but the other can be just as detrimental and empower the other.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:18 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,388,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I worked as a broadcast tech for about 20 years. I'm female. Strangely enough, I worked at a CBS O&O when Matt Lauer & Brian Williams were both there. I was stalked & molested by a technician who made it plain & clear that if I complained, he would get me fired & make sure that I never worked in broadcasting again. There was nothing consensual involved. 2 older men told me that they knew what he was up to & that he had been doing it to females for years & getting away with it because he had something on the boss. I left. I kept my mouth shut. I will take it to my grave, because, contrary to what the piece of scum thought, he was nobody. I don't care if he's dead or alive. If he's still alive, I hope he wonders if the other shoe will drop.
I think you should say something anyway. Even if he was some low level dork it is still part of the industry and you were intimidated to leave because of this harassment. He really molested you?

I knew women who worked in the music business and radio, they had to be very tough and tolerate this crap or get pushed out.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:35 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,829,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I think you should say something anyway. Even if he was some low level dork it is still part of the industry and you were intimidated to leave because of this harassment. He really molested you?

I knew women who worked in the music business and radio, they had to be very tough and tolerate this crap or get pushed out.
Yes he molested me. I did nothing to encourage it & repeatedly said no. There was nothing alluring about my clothing. I gave no consent or encouragement. Broadcast techs wore jeans & t-shirts & jeans & sweaters depending on the season. You knew women who worked in different branches of the same business. You know what was involved.

If the slimebag is still alive I hope he wonders if the other shoe will fall. He thought he was just that important. He was nobody, just another tech. It's a better revenge for me to say nothing tied to his name.

It's disgusting that men still want to tie the blame to the women.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:43 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,407,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
This current case may be just that. Take for example the latest story that Lauer had sex with a woman in his office until she passed out, in which she remembers waking up from it and him having another woman bringing her to see a nurse. How long ago did this happen and why only now is it coming up? Get real people. If anyone had intercourse at which they didn't want it in the first place, would they not say anything about it? How about the so-called woman who brought the woman to see the nurse. Why didn't she say anything about it until now? How about the nurse? Why didn't the nurse say anything about it until now?

There are a lot of things that don't add up with all of this. I'm thinking that perhaps a lot of these instances were equal participation, even a company culture which both sides were participating on, and only now at least a few of these woman now want to go back on what really happened.

From my own experiences, I've had women in the office come onto me with sexual comments here and there. And when it happened I just blew it off as though it never was brought up and went about my daily routine. What if I did act upon it? These women were pretty good looking. And had I, in a few years would that have come back to haunt me just like what's going on with Lauer? There may have been such a company culture at where Lauer worked to the point where he became very relaxed at what was going on.

But whatever the case may be, I can guarantee you that there's more to this story then just Lauer sexually harassing women in the office for years. Dropping his pants and handing out sex toys, yes I'm saying that is a termination warranted offense for sure. But I'm also saying something must have been going on for a long time in that workplace for it to escalate to that point.
Why did no one say anything?

Why for the same reasons the Catholic church was able to cover things up for decades...and why people don't even confide in their families when something like this happens.

Culture of silence.

The woman in question said she never reported it because she was ashamed. That is an uber-common reaction in sexual assault victims. The feeling one is somehow at fault, even when they are not.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:03 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,388,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I don't know how you can easily divide this discussion into consent vs. non consent. The line is not easily drawn. If office relationships are trouble then they should be taboo in all cases. I can't help thinking that in some of these high profile cases that the consent angle was thought to be a go on the man's side. Neither you nor I were there to know the full story but I do think it naïve to assume every allegation was totally innocent on one side and totally brazen on the other.

And the non consensual cases would be so much less if consensual ones didn't further empower men in high positions into thinking it was wanted across the board. Not an excuse by any means, but the discussion of consensual work place romances does go hand in hand with a discussion of the pervasiveness of unwanted sexual advances. One is obviously egregious but the other can be just as detrimental and empower the other.
You're not gonna stop people from having consensual relationships, whatever the reason, it is just not realistic.

We can reduce sexual harassment by threatening the positions of those who do it. Office relationships are not wise but they do happen. Many people meet their future spouses at work, so it's got to start with some kind of attraction and flirtation. We spend a huge portion of our lives at work and people are human.

Maybe we can start with the egregious stuff and work our way over to making it more taboo to use sex to get ahead but that will be a tough one, because men seem to like it and do not use their proper brain when faced with a woman offering sex. Even at great risk to them - and some women just don't mind using what they have to get ahead...

I can't see it ever happening in Hollywood - it is still a cesspool of sex and drugs and cheating and STDs like always.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:11 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,712,863 times
If anyone wonders why women are so reluctant to tell anyone about their experiences with sexual harassment or attacks, just read some of the comments here by people who aren't even in power or admired by the public.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:21 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,907,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If anyone wonders why women are so reluctant to tell anyone about their experiences with sexual harassment or attacks, just read some of the comments here by people who aren't even in power or admired by the public.

Hey, I've got an idea...how about adult women grow a spine, and confront the men in question, instead of "running to mommy" and falling apart?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies