Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy your taxes are going up?
Yes 22 29.73%
No 52 70.27%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 07:12 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,017 times

Advertisements

deductions on some business expenses as high as 100%!

sect 13201:

in the case of property placed in
service after September 27, 2017, and be-
fore January 1, 2023, 100 percent

how is that not pro-growth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 07:19 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Well the fine never worked as it forced me and others to work under the table.

Well that "fine" wouldn't work, would it?

Other part of the Roberts SCOTUS decision took much of the meat out of enforcement of said "tax" mandate. The IRS was basically forbidden from going after anyone who didn't pay long as all other income taxes were paid in accordance to law.

The mandate was also easy to escape under those conditions; just make sure that your withholding or whatever covered taxes owed and that you wouldn't be expecting a large refund. Oh that and or arrange your finances (if self employed for instance) to take advantage of the various "get out of jail" loopholes that removed the mandate because of income or whatever.

Again the law like much of the ACA was badly written as often happens with large pieces of legislation. In a perfect and just world subsequent congressional action would have addressed such defects; as has happened with Social Security over the years. But because a black man became POTUS *and* got something done presidents (mainly democratic but a few GOP IIRC), the ACA had a big fat target on its back from day one.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:21 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
I've had ppl claim they had FULL health insurance from their company for $25 a month. That's way better than $500. That's a ripoff!
People are either subsidized by the tax payers or by their employer. Those are the people who can't understand why people who aren't subsidized and pay full outrageous premiums are screaming. We paid $920.00 a month in 2017 and recently got notice that our rates are going up to $1,528 a month in 2018 (no subsidy) so I called on Friday and canceled our policy and won't renew for 2018. At these rates I'm sure many people will be forced to go without insurance.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Again the law like much of the ACA was badly written as often happens with large pieces of legislation. In a perfect and just world subsequent congressional action would have addressed such defects; as has happened with Social Security over the years. But because a black man became POTUS *and* got something done presidents (mainly democratic but a few GOP IIRC), the ACA had a big fat target on its back from day one.
Ok my premiums went from $450 a month (before Obamacare) to $920 a month because of Obamacare even though Obama said our premiums would go down. I was sent notice that 2018 HC premiums was going up "again" to $1,528/month. So your saying that I would gladly pay these premiums because a white man was president?

Can people like you ever see anything in life other than skin color? I would be p*ssed and cancel it no matter what skin color the president had.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:36 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
This 500-page tax bill was handed to the senators only two hours before the vote. No one knew everything that was in it, not even those who wrote parts of it. The Republicans voted for it only because it was their partisan bill and they were desperate to get something passed.

Is this the way the United States runs its government? The Republicans who passed it, have disgraced themselves forever. They must have a very low opinion of the intelligence of the voting public, if they think they can carry out such an atrocity and get away with it.

Fortunately, their gloating over its passage means nothing, if it can't be reconciled to the vastly different tax bill already passed by the House. If just two republican senators, who fear voter reprisal at the polls next fall, pull back at any point during the back-and-forth reconciliation process with the House, it will fail.

They and Trump are bragging now, because they know that no mutually-agreeable final version will come out of it. Later, it will be just one more big failure for them.

This country needs two strong political parties to keep each other honest. We can't function without them and would probably fall into what would essentially be a dictatorship, if just one party became completely dominant. So what are we going to do after next year, when the Republicans have committed political hara-kiri?

Old 12-02-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
This 500-page tax bill was handed to the senators only two hours before the vote. No one knew everything that was in it, not even those who wrote parts of it. The Republicans voted for it only because it was their partisan bill and they were desperate to get something passed.

Is this the way the United States runs its government?
Well if that's the case and just like Obamacare, we'll have to pass the law to see what's in it. After all, it's the way Democrats ran the govt, so what's your b*tch?

Old 12-02-2017, 07:40 PM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Did those actions increase the deficit/debt by $8 trillion dollars like a republican in this thread claimed?
If you want to look at the budgets that Obama was responsible for deleting 2009 because bush set that budget and adding 2017 you have 6.5 Trillion in added debt. 8 years of Obama budgets. He was the president the buck stopped with him.

So Obama had the weakest growth of any post war president, biggest debt increase and the Obamacare fiasco and yet there some on the left defending all of it as some sort of success.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
This country needs two strong political parties to keep each other honest. We can't function without them and would probably fall into what would essentially be a dictatorship, if just one party became completely dominant. So what are we going to do after next year, when the Republicans have committed political hara-kiri?
As long as the people allow the 4th estate to act as arms of a political party is as long as this continues to happen. As long as the media refuses to report, refuses to call politicians out when they lie, ignores or excuses the wrongdoings of politicians is as long as this continues.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:41 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Ok so your saying that if a white man was president and my premiums went from $450 a month to $920 a month, notified that it was going up to $1,528 a month in 2018, your saying that I would gladly pay it because a white man was president?

Can people like you ever see anything in life other than the color of your skin? I would be p*ssed and cancel it no matter what skin color the president had.
That isn't what I meant, and you know it.

Nothing Obama did would pass muster with the GOP even though again it was *THEIR* guy and forces aligned with that party (Heritage Foundation for a start) that supported and or designed a type of universal healthcare system.

The rapid hatred of Obama because of his race has been well documented in this forum and elsewhere via comments and so forth. His Orangeness, the administration and GOP controlled Congress have wasted no time in rolling back and or destroying rules or whatever that came out of the previous administration even when they were passed by bi-partisan support, and or are actually doing good/causing no harm.

Rates could be brought down by working *with* insurance companies and or other means; but the GOP has never been interested in seeing ACA actually work. Remove their rapid hatred of Obama and there aren't too many reasons for not wanting to see the thing work.

Lord knows the GOP has had nearly eight or nine years to come up with a replacement for ACA, but they cannot or will not. Two main reasons for this is the harsh anti-Obama feelings means working to save and or improve anything that came out of that administration is a non starter for some hard core GOP. The other reason is more practical members of that party both in Washington, D.C. and local governments see the benefits.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:47 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Yeah, I've had the same basic policy for the last 20 years it just went from $450 a month to $1080 in 4 years. I'd love to see it go back to the way it was before Ocare. I will miss the maternity coverage a 60yo male must pay for

Why are Dem controlled states the highest tax states? No wonder states like NY, NJ, IL are losing business and population.
Because we have to subsidized red states. Red states are poor and need the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies