Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 05:58 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times

Advertisements

Democrats and republicans are both owned by the elites. The middle class and all working folks need a new political party that will represent them. If the new tax plan doesn't convince you, well then, I have a few nice bridges I'd like to show you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 06:52 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Just wondering if you have switched from Democrat to Republican or the other way around? And Why?
Neither one. I plan on voting libertarian in a lot more elections instead of the lesser of two evils. I really don't think voting matters all that much any more, so switching political parties is a waste of energy. The political system has been hijacked for quite a while now. It's time for us to wake up to the fact.

I don't always agree with Naomi Wolfe (too liberal for me), but she says a lot of things that are undeniably true in this interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viKEpo93Txs

Old 12-02-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
No, because they are both anti-freedom, statist, authoritarian types, just in different ways. Let either one have too much power and watch them become nazis. How many people here are tired of the war on marijuana already and their only defense is emotional rants about "potheads" meanwhile they are always the ones talking about how the left is emotional and doesn't use facts to back up their arguments?

The left doesn't pretend to be rational.. they just back whatever policy feels good, and whatever policy the right happens to oppose just because they oppose it. Facts be damned. Make more laws but don't enforce the existing laws and give criminals a slap on the wrist and watch them go out to commit more crimes. Let in anyone and everyone and be surprised that we can't afford to pay for them not to mention the bloated pensions and salaries of the government employees. Their solution is to throw more money at the problem, whereas the right just embezzles the money they go get via making a "war on this" and a "war on that" assuming they aren't out there cutting taxes for the top 1% whenever they can.. they love to use civil asset forfeiture to unconstitutionally seize the assets of people who don't act the way they like.

I could go on but what's the point...
^^This comes pretty close to my view of things. How can people not see that neither party is looking out for us? As you said, both parties are authoritarian...just in different ways. I'd go a step further and say the political system isn't where the real power is, and hasn't been for quite some time.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Part of the problem is thinking you have to have a side.
Excellent point.

Just to expand on that.

So many things are presented in "A" versus "B" format, as if there were no other options but A or B. The best answers to the problems we face are often "neither A or B".

The A vs. B format seems very effective in:

--Limiting people's perception of what's possible.
--Dividing people.
--Centralizing power in fewer hands (Often both A & B options involve centralizing power, just in different ways. IE "Big Government" vs. "Big Business". Either way, power is centralized).

Old 12-02-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Fascists are right wing. So you are claiming to be a fascist? At least you have the courage to admit that in public.
No need to play semantics. Perhaps a better word would be "authoritarian". There are authoritarians in both parties. If you don't think there aren't authoritarians on the left, you're willfully blind.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:20 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Just wondering if you have switched from Democrat to Republican or the other way around? And Why?
If a presidential election were to be held, I’m pretty sure that I wouldn’t vote Livertarian again, and would most likely vote Dem.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
the reality is the US democratic party is center to center right on fiscal issues and moderate left on social ones. You are just an extremist who has not seen beyond your own valley. get a passport. travel. grow.
But those positions have shifted to the left over the decades. What used to be considered a far left position is now mainstream.

I'll give you an example:

"All government employees should realize that the process of collective bargaining, as usually understood, cannot be transplanted into public service"

What said the above? FDR.

https://showmeinstitute.org/blog/gov...ernment-unions

Now anyone who says that is pilloried as a right wing nut job.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I am an independent now, rooting on the Democrats, I have even learned to better appreciate the 'Bernie' message since taking down the filters. He sounds like a New Dealer to me and that is a good thing. I have become animated against Trump and his cronies and his congress, I want a clean sweep to purge this nation of their filth and detritus.
We definitely need a clean sweep. But the sweep that needs to happen would need to be far more pervasive than just politics. We have to start realizing we really do have a shadow government running the show.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Democrats and republicans are both owned by the elites. The middle class and all working folks need a new political party that will represent them. If the new tax plan doesn't convince you, well then, I have a few nice bridges I'd like to show you.
We don't need a new political party. It will just be co-opted by the elites who are running the show from behind the scenes. We need to throw out elites like George Soros and the Koch Brothers...and I believe even folks like them are not the highest levels of power. If you really look into it, you start finding out the real people in power don't get their names mentioned much in mainstream media.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:42 PM

This woman is a more liberal than I, so I don't agree with much of her political positions, but she has been pointing out for the last several years how the U.S., along with many other Western countries, has become a fake democracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viKEpo93Txs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies