Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2017, 01:43 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,476 times

Advertisements

I think it’s atrocious using abortion for contraception. Which most women do. Very irresponsible. Your body your choice.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:55 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soy sauce View Post
I think it’s atrocious using abortion for contraception. Which most women do. Very irresponsible. Your body your choice.
You appear to have been fed a false definition of the word contraception. Contraception means to _prevent_ pregnancy. Not to end it. Abortion is not a contraception nor can it be used _as_ a contraception.

There are many methods natural and artificial of engaging in contraception. Artificial are things like the Pill and Condoms. More natural methods are the pull out or "Rhythm" method - or planning your sexual activity at times when you least expect to be fertile.

These methods are not perfect - even when combined - and some women still fall pregnant. At that point abortion is not a contraceptive but a _choice_ on how to proceed in the light of that event. It is a choice some women want to take. It is a choice some do not. And that is as it should be.

So no "most" women do not use it as a contraception. No woman does. Because that is simply not what contraception means.

But what might help illuminate what you think your point was would be to not just tell us what you think abortion should _not_ be used for - but contrast that to what you think it _should_ be used for?

Old 12-08-2017, 02:16 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
You appear to have been fed a false definition of the word contraception. Contraception means to _prevent_ pregnancy. Not to end it. Abortion is not a contraception nor can it be used _as_ a contraception.

There are many methods natural and artificial of engaging in contraception. Artificial are things like the Pill and Condoms. More natural methods are the pull out or "Rhythm" method - or planning your sexual activity at times when you least expect to be fertile.

These methods are not perfect - even when combined - and some women still fall pregnant. At that point abortion is not a contraceptive but a _choice_ on how to proceed in the light of that event. It is a choice some women want to take. It is a choice some do not. And that is as it should be.

So no "most" women do not use it as a contraception. No woman does. Because that is simply not what contraception means.

But what might help illuminate what you think your point was would be to not just tell us what you think abortion should _not_ be used for - but contrast that to what you think it _should_ be used for?
So you’re saying condoms, and BC only work 50% of the time? I can bet 99% of these unplanned pregnancies is due to not using contraception. But spin it anyway you want. It’s still irresponsible.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:35 AM

Quote:
So you’re saying condoms, and BC only work 50% of the time?
I just read my post twice and nowhere can I find myself suggesting any such thing??? You appear to be making it up yourself.

Quote:
I can bet 99% of these unplanned pregnancies is due to not using contraception. But spin it anyway you want. It’s still irresponsible.
Here you are making up numbers too. Yes many unplanned pregnancies are due to not using contraception. Many are due to using it but not using it correctly because education on these things is alas very poor. And many are also due to using it entirely correctly but the contraception for other reasons simply fails.

I think we can bring more that subjective opinion and moral high horsing to bear on measuring the level of responsibility and irresponsibility that each of those entails. But even then I am not sure what utility that would bring. The fact still remains that a person has become pregnant - they do not want to be - and there is no argument on offer as to why they should not have among their solution set the option of abortion.

Why education is poor is anyone's guess. I remember in my own home country of Ireland when the countries most popular (actually - at that time - the only) late night talk show demonstrated first by way of video and then by the host how a condom should correctly be used.

The outrage from the public after the show was well documented in our print media at the time. Why people are so resistant to not only good but _early_ sexual education of our public in schools and in media is a mystery to me.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:45 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
An equal part in the _conception_ of the baby sure. I am not sure that makes him an equal part in the entire process that then follows. Some men take zero part in anything that happens after that point/moment for example.

And again a woman - and the man with her - can take all the right choices before engaging in sex and still end up pregnant against her desire to be.

Taking responsibility for your actions means sitting down and accepting the consequence has occurred - and then sitting down to take mature informed and thought out choices about how to move forward in the light of that.

_Our_ responsibility as a society is to decide what options and choices such a woman should - or should not be - offered and why. Not to stand over them beating them with the consequence itself and berating them with moral high horse nonsense about who's fault it all is.
"I am not sure that makes him an equal part in the entire process that then follows."

It is NOT and SHOULD BE.

"Taking responsibility for your actions means sitting down and accepting the consequence has occurred - and then sitting down to take mature informed and thought out choices about how to move forward in the light of that."

The man has NO SAY.

If the woman wants an abortion, she can get one NO MATTER WHAT THE FATHER wants.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:06 AM
Her

298 posts, read 868,880 times
Quote:
Psssttt, your ignorance is showing.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
It is NOT and SHOULD BE.

The man has NO SAY.

If the woman wants an abortion, she can get one NO MATTER WHAT THE FATHER wants.
Your reply here is a bit short and shouty. But if I am reading it correctly - I think we are 100% in agreement? Correct me if you feel otherwise.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:03 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I'm not blaming the women, I am blaming planned parenthood who preys and takes advantage of vulnerable women at their most needful time in their lives. All they offer is abortion with no mention of adoption. Abby Johnson can tell you, they needed to meet their quota for number of abortions in a month. Treating women as commodities like selling cars.
So you're not blaming women, you just think that they are morons? Do you not think that women, even young women DON"T know what options are available? Do you think that they can't google? Do you believe that women have never heard of this thing where you can give up a baby to another family?

It says alot more about you and how lowly you think of women than planned parenthood.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:13 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
WTF?

I do not know a single woman that uses abortion as contraception. So that alone blows your "most women" claim.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:15 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
If only men would step up and act like men when the woman they are with gets pregnant there would be less abortions.

That's a huge part of it too, you got her pregnant now be a man and step up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies