Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2017, 05:42 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,222,313 times

Advertisements

The liberals will run this country full speed into the toilet. They take no prisoners. Criminalize everything. It's 1984. Political correctness run amok.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:49 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It's a huge advantage to the GOP.
  • Franken's Senate Senority is gone.
  • His seat now becomes completely open in 2018 instead of 2020.
  • Democrat Party loses one of it's most notewothy leaders.
  • Franken's hopes of being the 2020 DEM nominee for President are gone. Another true progressive goes up in smoke.
Franken stayed mostly on the corporations good graces.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:50 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
I'm fine with creeps getting fired. Actually more than fine with it. But there needs to be some sort of evidence - one person saying something happened isn't enough. I know it's hard for people to come forward, but there will always be some number of people willing to lie to hurt another person.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:52 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Al Franken should have resigned.
He announced his intent to resign but that won't happen until his replacement is lined up and vetted. Probably went the senate comes back from Christmas break.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:11 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
But there are example like Bush and Franken where this seems heading very badly down the wrong path.
A personal friend of mine - someone I trust implicitly - have come out with her story of Franken getting very handsy during a photo-op. I realize that my personal anecdotal evidence isn't binding for anyone else, but as far as I'm concerned, it's settled.

And as with so many other stories of this sort, she blamed herself for years.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:31 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
The thing is that even just on a political level, it's too much of a distraction. When the first accuser came out, I said ok, he's apologized, he's asked for an investigation. I'll reserve judgement and see what happens - but only if another shoe doesn't drop (meaning another accuser coming forward) because that means that it wasn't an isolated, perhaps even misunderstood incident, it makes it far more likely that this was someone's standard pattern of behavior. And the shoes have kept dropping. Franken can't be an effective Senator if everyone is looking over his shoulder all the time, waiting to see if another accuser comes forward.

It's true that until recently a lot of this behavior was considered essentially harmless and acceptable, even if the victims didn't feel that way. But they kept silent for reasons that are still pretty obvious to see today, except that now, they are being believed and there have even been consequences for the offenders.

Perhaps right now the pendulum has swung too far to the opposite side - that's not uncommon for this kind of sea change in the general public opinion about something. Presumably over time, these types of claims will be treated with a bit more moderation. So yeah, maybe it sucks for the men who happen to be accused at this particular moment in time, where the same accusations 5 years ago wouldn't have had the same result and maybe wouldn't 5 years from now. But it's also sucked for the women (well, primarily but not exclusively) who have been the victim of this, and have dealt with the pain and shame and negative career consequences in many cases.

Time to make it clear that women are in the workplace and we aren't going anywhere and we are going to be treated as equals and colleagues and not sexual playthings. And if some men get hurt during the process of making this clear, it's unfortunate but obviously not more unfortunate than the women who suffered in silence all this time.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:47 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It's a huge advantage to the GOP.
  • Franken's Senate Senority is gone.
  • His seat now becomes completely open in 2018 instead of 2020.
  • Democrat Party loses one of it's most notewothy leaders.
  • Franken's hopes of being the 2020 DEM nominee for President are gone. Another true progressive goes up in smoke.

Mn 2016 POTUS was ultra close.

Now Dems have to fight hard playing defense there.

MAGA

Old 12-07-2017, 06:58 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This is why nobody respects democrats, they wilt under pressure. Trump got elected in defiance of this and so will Moore. Chew on that one for a while

Old 12-07-2017, 07:03 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
This is why nobody respects democrats, they wilt under pressure. Trump got elected in defiance of this and so will Moore. Chew on that one for a while
So in other words having moral standards that consider sexual assault a negative is supposed to be a bad thing. Got it. That Jesus guy, man, what a wilter, amirite?

Old 12-07-2017, 07:05 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
It's going to come back and bite the GOP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies