Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 06:13 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post

Trump is the best president who is actually doing great things.

I swear if I didn't know better I would think your one of his lackeys who works for him. There is only one more person on this forum who sucks up to trump as much as you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 06:14 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,886 times
Quote:
We'll see if Jones is able to keep this seat. Alabama is a Red state. If he pushes the Democrat agenda too hard, against the Trump agenda, his victory could be short lived.
I agree. Jones's victory had nothing to do with the republican platform and everything to do with Moore being a sexual predator.

Basically, Jones is a stopgap in the Alabama senate seat, IMO.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:22 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
It wasn't exactly "stunning." It was a razor thin victory.
Stunning doesn't equal landslide. By whatever margin, it is stunning that a Democrat won in Alabama. I didn't think they had it in them. That is the stunning part. It was a definite upset. It says something--not sure what--but it's meaningful.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:23 AM

8,386 posts, read 4,372,592 times
Trumpflamation is an infection trying to kill its host. The strength of the United States immune system is starting to kick in.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:28 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,886 times
Quote:
Stunning doesn't equal landslide. By whatever margin, it is stunning that a Democrat won in Alabama. I didn't think they had it in them. That is the stunning part. It was a definite upset. It says something--not sure what--but it's meaningful.
Again, you're missing the point. This election was not about republican vs. democrat, it was about right vs. wrong.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:31 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
From the OP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
After the stunning loss in Alabama , i am starting to worry that Trump is ruining Republicans reputation. Is Trump putting the future of the right in jeopardy?
Actually - that would be Mitch McConnell - who called for a write in candidate for an alternative to Moore.

The write in got 3% I believe. The margin between the D and the R is 1.5%.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:44 AM

4,960 posts, read 2,240,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
After the stunning loss in Alabama , i am starting to worry that Trump is ruining Republicans reputation. Is Trump putting the future of the right in jeopardy?
The loss was not so stunning. I have many conservative family members in Alabama and none of them were supportive of Moore prior to the allegations.

Remember, Judge Moore ordered Alabama judges not to respect the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on same-sex marriage resulting in suspension for his remaining term.

I think most rational people just don't have tolerance for judicial activism.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:52 AM

693 posts, read 357,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
It wasn't exactly "stunning." It was a razor thin victory.

It indeed was stunning....because it was Alabama.

Doesn't matter that it was a razor thin victory, it was still a victory in a state that Moore should have won....easily.

Alabama. Let that sink in. It's one the most deep red states, and they elected a democrat. That, indeed....was stunning.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:59 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
The loss was not so stunning. I have many conservative family members in Alabama and none of them were supportive of Moore prior to the allegations.

Remember, Judge Moore ordered Alabama judges not to respect the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on same-sex marriage resulting in suspension for his remaining term.

I think most rational people just don't have tolerance for judicial activism.
The reason Sally Yates was fired by President Trump was also because she refused to enforce a legal E.O. issued by the President, her boss, who is the Chief Executive Officer over all Federal Agencies. Actions have consequences. Her "activism" was just as consequential as Moore's.

Though I argued here on C-D for Moore, based on a legal assumption of innocence until proven guilty (allegations do not equal guilt), I am not entirely unhappy he lost, because it ends the turmoil and fighting that would have resulted had he won, even though I'm not happy about a Democrat winning. But Jones will have to show he is willing to work with the Republican majority and not simply vote with his Party on every issue (not one Democrat voted for Tax Reform), if he is going to keep that seat in the future. This may only be a short term victory for Democrats. We'll see. AL is very much a Red State, and this does not change that. If Jones makes AL citizens unhappy, he will be gone.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:03 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,114,351 times
Yes, Trump is very bad for true republicans. Trump represents the extreme right, most of whom are crazy people. I feel sorry for decent republicans who have seen their party get hijacked by a bunch of hate-fueled Trumplings.

Alabama, one of the most conservative states in the country, just went democrat for the first time in over 20 years. Trumpers better hope that isn't a sign of things to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies