Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 09:29 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times

Advertisements

I am wondering who leaked this? Ryan must be furious, he is too chicken crap to face his own district, and is running away from the damage he is doing.

So the question quickly becomes, how many Republican house members are going to be willing to fall on their swords now that they know Ryan is doing a runner to avoid the 2018 electorate? House members in NY, CA etc are going to get slaughtered in 2018 if this bill goes through, are they really willing to give up their seats for this tax cut? Locally in my state we have 4 republican reps and those seats are about to become very competitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 10:17 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,737,176 times
If Ryan left at the end of 18' I would be ok with it. Speaker of the house is a tough job these days. He will have had the job for 4 years? That's a good chunk of your life to be abused. It's a thankless job.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:25 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Consensus is the story is true. He is soooo "over it" - i.e., Trump, Congressional sexual allegations, etc. - and he still has Presidential aspirations. By the time he runs, the Democrats will have retaken the WH and will have had to raise taxes to cover the debacle the GOP is hatching right now. By then, people will have forgotten Ryan's role in all of this - and he'll paint the Dems as the party of taxation - never mind the GOP almost destroyed the country under Bush once and are about to do it again with unfunded tax cuts - essentially THEFT.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:24 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,197 times
There was only one time I wanted to hear what Paul Ryan said. That was during the Romney/Ryan ticket when Mr. Ryan said he was a fan of the band Rage Against The Machine. I so wanted to hear his reaction after the guitarist from the band, Tom Morello said
" Paul Ryan's love of Rage Against The Machine is amusing, because he is the embodiment of the machine that our music has been raging against for two decades. Charles Manson loved the Beatles but didn't understand them. Governor Chris Christie loves Bruce Springsteen but doesn't understand him. And Paul Ryan is clueless about his favorite band, Rage Against the Machine ".
My guess is that Mr. Ryan would have responded by trying to further eliminate arts from public schools.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:40 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
I am wondering who leaked this? Ryan must be furious, he is too chicken crap to face his own district, and is running away from the damage he is doing.

From what I've read, it was Ryan's friends who spoke of this.

Not sure whether they had reached this conclusion on their own, or whether Ryan asked them to the leak this information.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:44 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
He got forced into the job to begin with. He loved his job as a committee chair where he had real power and didn’t have to herd cats.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:49 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
looks like they want someone more.....presidential for when they impeach trump and pence.
I hope that our fate doesn't come down to being at the mercy of republican strategies like this.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:39 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
ryan leaving washington is based on an anonymous source rumor reported as fact by the MSM. this story has about as much credibility as the "Tillerson is leaving the white house" fake news story just last month.

the formerly trusted press is now the national enquirer.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:21 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Talking Stay tuned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
ryan leaving washington is based on an anonymous source rumor reported as fact by the MSM. this story has about as much credibility as the "Tillerson is leaving the white house" fake news story just last month.

the formerly trusted press is now the national enquirer.
The Politico reporter who wrote that article was on the news this morning.

He said he spoke with no less than 35 congressmen and staffers about Ryan's upcoming "retirement" and not a single one contradicted what he'd heard.

Of course, Ryan wouldn't publicly admit it. There's a big election coming up in November. Lots of fund raising and campaign appearances ahead. If he comes out now as a lame duck, his position is drastically weakened.

Looking ahead, he sees a very rocky road for the GOP house and he's probably had a gut full of trying to deal with the in the bogus "freedom caucus." Looks like he'd have a tough opponent in the election and winning wouldn't be a sure thing for him like it has been in the past.

He's still relatively young, in his 40s. He's set up for life. He has teen kids that he'd probably want to be more of a dad to. Stepping down makes a lot of sense for him when you consider all that.

Adios...

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-15-2017 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: language/off topic

Old 12-15-2017, 07:53 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
From Politico Magazine -

"Despite several landmark legislative wins this year, and a better-than-expected relationship with President Donald Trump, Ryan has made it known to some of his closest confidants that this will be his final term as speaker. He consults a small crew of family, friends and staff for career advice, and is always cautious not to telegraph his political maneuvers. But the expectation of his impending departure has escaped the hushed confines of Ryan’s inner circle and permeated the upper-most echelons of the GOP. In recent interviews with three dozen people who know the speaker—fellow lawmakers, congressional and administration aides, conservative intellectuals and Republican lobbyists—not a single person believed Ryan will stay in Congress past 2018."

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...hington-216103

I have to admit I didn't see this coming. Good for him.
If this was true, it would be headline news, especially on Fox. It isn't. I have not seen any mention of it on Fox; not this morning or yesterday or in the previous week.

I'll believe it when I see it. But a lot of conservatives would celebrate if it was true, because they see Ryan as a tool of the less than conservative republicans (can we say, "RINO?").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies