Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should religious institutions be taxed?
Yes 99 75.57%
No 32 24.43%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 07:36 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There is NOTHING to tax. If a corporation makes no profit they do not pay a tax either. A corporation does not pay a tax on the amount they take in. They pay it on how much they profit. There are certainly exceptions that get special tax considerations because they are able to get a congressman on their side.
Exactly! All organizations should pay taxes on their profit regardless of what they call themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 07:40 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
There is NOTHING to tax. If a corporation makes no profit they do not pay a tax either. A corporation does not pay a tax on the amount they take in. They pay it on how much they profit. There are certainly exceptions that get special tax considerations because they are able to get a congressman on their side.
Quote:
I guess I ignore it because of the hyperbole.

When ANY non profit gets the balls to tell people who to vote for they should loose their non profit status.
When cop sit out in front of their churches and direct and OUR expense then tax them it's simple. If there is a will then there is a way. I'm sure there are more examples but I'm still on my first cup of coffee.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:45 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
By subsidizing certain churches, the government is putting its thumb on the scale for certain religions. 1st Amendment is clear that the government is not to recognize or favor any religion.
The separation of church and state is secondary argument, this would be the primary one:

Quote:
Amendment XIV

Section 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
You cannot create tax laws based on religion, ideology etc. They need to be applied equally to all tax exempt organizations. Once you have done that the church can then raise the argument about separation of church and state.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:47 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
I have mixed feelings on this, but I think that if churches are dispersing tithes and offerings to missions and local needs, they are not profiting... therefore taxation is not an issue. At least not regarding income.

But the Falwells, Osteens and others that live extravagant lifestyles off their congregation's tithes and offerings... there is something fundamentally wrong with that.
Osteen and many other pastors do not take salary. Osteen makes his money from his books.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:51 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
When ANY non profit gets the balls to tell people who to vote for they should loose their non profit status.
They can. Your beef is with those that don't enforce the rules, not with the rules.

Quote:
When cop sit out in front of their churches and direct and OUR expense then tax them it's simple. If there is a will then there is a way. I'm sure there are more examples but I'm still on my first cup of coffee.
They do this for high school sporting events also. Their job is to make the area safe for travel. If there is a problem with congestion that is up to the city to address.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Catholic church's anti-abortion political activism is well documented.
Non profits can advocate on issues, e.g, the NAACP for example. They cannot endorse specific candidates or parties. This would not prevent the head of the NAACP from personally offering their support to a candidaten nor does it prevent clergy from offering their personal support of candidate.

All of these non profits that advocate on the issues walk a very fine line, if you want to stop the church for advocating on issues like abortion you will also have to stop the NAACP from advocating on African American issues. Once you have done that unlike the NAACP the church will be able to raise the argument about separation of church and state.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:52 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
All organizations should be taxed on their profits and it doesn't matter if they tell people who to vote for.

Quote:
Those cops are paid by the churches. You can also hire a cop for your next party.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Exactly! All organizations should pay taxes on their profit regardless of what they call themselves.

We go to a UU church and they pay taxes, so what makes other's so special?

Old 12-17-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I don't think that's fair but I do see the point.
Equal application of the law is not fair?

Old 12-17-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
All organizations should be taxed on their profits and it doesn't matter if they tell people who to vote for.

Those cops are paid by the churches. You can also hire a cop for your next party.

And who gives the church the money to pay them? Maybe your right tax them regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies