Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 04:49 PM

476 posts, read 1,135,349 times

Advertisements

Trickle

D

o

w

n

Hundreds of AT&T Workers Laid Off Just Before Christmas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 04:51 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,660,176 times
That's due to people canceling DirectTV. People are disgusted with those cable channels.

And most importantly you missed this from the very article you posted.
Many of the affected employees have a job offer guarantee that ensures they’ll be offered another job with the company, and we’ll work to find other jobs for as many of them as possible.
Busted.

Thread Fail

Old 12-21-2017, 04:54 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,300,376 times
Yep.. never going back to cable, ever. If content providers can't support their networks through advertising alone then that's too bad for them. I have VPNs and a MEGA account to get my content, along with netflix and amazon prime.

They should stream their networks online at no cost and find a way to get the advertising to work. The pay for cable model I don't think is going to exist in it's current form in 25 years. People aren't going to pay $120 to get cable channels.

http://www.businessinsider.com/cable...-chart-2016-10

Old 12-21-2017, 04:55 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,672,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
That's due to people canceling DirectTV.

People are disgusted with those cable channels.
We are expected to support failure.

It would be consistent with the offerings of leftist policy's.

They never stop selling the idea. Its the essence of big and growing bigger government.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Yep.. never going back to cable, ever. ....
Same.

I gave up on DISH Network in 2012. Haven't look back since. And I certainly don't miss the teleprompter monkeys on the cable news channels.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:01 PM

476 posts, read 1,135,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Many of the affected employees have a job offer guarantee that ensures they’ll be offered another job with the company, and we’ll work to find other jobs for as many of them as possible.
Busted.
That guarantee does *not* guarantee a job. Folks may be offered a job they don't want (lower pay, worse hours, different geographical location, etc). It was still offered but the now-terminated employee chose not to accept. They aren't lying, but they aren't promising anything either.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:02 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,242,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post
Focus your comments on facts supporting your beliefs on the GOP tax bill, not click-bait titles.

Under no administration or party affiliation should an employer retain employees that are no longer needed. In this case, it appears that Directv is at least making an effort to retain most of the affected employees.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post
That guarantee does *not* guarantee..........
LOL!

As HAL9000 said... 'I think you missed it Dave'.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:04 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,242,289 times
For the record, after a year of sampling streaming services, I went back to Directv. Coupled with our AT&T family unlimited plan, I pay about $60 a month for everything as long as I bundle services. I don't care for the unsightly dish, but streaming services just didn't meet my needs.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:05 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,038,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
We are expected to support failure.

It would be consistent with the offerings of leftist policy's.

They never stop selling the idea. Its the essence of big and growing bigger government.
Um, what?

The far-right supports the concept of "every man for himself," which is not compatible with actual civilization, and handing lots of money over to big businesses, which are accountable to no one.

Even if the left supported the notion of "bigger and bigger government" - a concept that the far-right seems to also support based on their track record - you can at least vote worthless government people out of office. You have NO power against worthless corporations. They can continue to exist, forever, either as legalized monopolies or in Bailed Out form, depending upon who they control and how powerful they are.

I seriously do not understand this crazy notion that "government always fails" and "big business always succeeds" that the far-right pushes. They are living in one of the best nations on the planet, which should be alone proof that the government here works well enough for the most part, and anyone who thinks big business is infallible must be blissfully unaware of economic history and still waiting for their Enron or Lehman Brother's stock to go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies