Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 11:29 AM

46,381 posts, read 27,236,408 times

Advertisements

Also from the link:

Quote:
Comcast, one of the world’s largest cable companies, was reportedly the most active lobbyist for the tax cuts. The company filed 60 lobbying reports concerning their support for the tax plan, according to Vox.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 11:37 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,782,275 times
Quote:
Comcast, one of the world’s largest cable companies, was reportedly the most active lobbyist for the tax cuts.
There is it. That is the reason they claim annual bonus is suddenly a special one because of a tax bill. They paid big money for the tax bill, and for the net neutrality ruling, so they are happy to promote it.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:44 AM

5,843 posts, read 3,260,701 times
Default Communication Companies to Layoff Thousands

Comcast will lay off 500. AT & T to lay off thousands.

https://thinkprogress.org/companies-...f90d2/?ref=yfp

We just gave corporate America one of the biggest gifts in history and they react like this. This further convinces me that trickle down needs to be legislated. Keeping the Republicans in power is a major mistake for working Americans.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:50 AM

30,717 posts, read 19,387,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Comcast will lay off 500. AT & T to lay off thousands.

https://thinkprogress.org/companies-...f90d2/?ref=yfp

We just gave corporate America one of the biggest gifts in history and they react like this. This further convinces me that trickle down needs to be legislated. Keeping the Republicans in power is a major mistake for working Americans.
ThinkProgress Nice fake biased News source you got there.

- Black and Hispanic unemployment at an all time low
- Unemployment at a 17 year low
- Consumer confidence at a 17 year high
- Skyrocketing stock market

Thanks Republican Congress since 2010 and now thanks to President Trump!

Old 01-08-2018, 06:51 AM

45,763 posts, read 27,388,717 times
1- Those people probably would have been laid off if bonuses had not been given. At least they gave the bonuses...

2- Trickle down is not something that can be legislated. It's typical human behavior.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:56 AM

51,690 posts, read 25,953,583 times
Trickle down doesn't work. Never has. Never will.

It's not supply that grows the economy. It's demand.

Walmart doesn't hire more cashiers when they have more billions in the bank -- supply.

They hire more cashiers when people are buying more stuff -- demand.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:03 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,909,692 times
While trickle down economics sound great, the reality is, they don't work as hoped. Just as if the government gave every citizen a "church rebate" so that all of us could take that money and give it to the church of our choice, you know 90% of the people would be spending it on a new flat screen TV. Same with companies, they will find a lot of other ways to use those tax breaks other than employing more people and investing it in their businesses.

Another thing is that, although the Trumpees keep bragging about all the great things Trump has done to stimulate the economy, what has he REALLY done ? They somehow believe that just because he is now in charge, all these wonderful things are starting to happen. Doesn't work like that, results come about by actions, and he hasn't put anything into action yet that would have caused the great results they are bragging about.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:12 AM

30,717 posts, read 19,387,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post
Layoffs are part of business. If I cost my company more than they're paying me because they lost business, they are going to lay me off and I expect them to do that.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
That's due to people canceling DirectTV. People are disgusted with those cable channels.

And most importantly you missed this from the very article you posted.
Many of the affected employees have a job offer guarantee that ensures they’ll be offered another job with the company, and we’ll work to find other jobs for as many of them as possible.
Busted.

Thread Fail
Who made you the judge of whether a thread has merit or not. You take the corporate side at all times in spite of the facts.

Since I am suspicious of any corporate guarantee, I will say this; the offer of another job within a company is a joke. It usually has the caveat "when one opens up" or "you will need to submit a resume and interview for the new position".

Guarantee hell. Who are you trying to BS?

Old 01-08-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
ThinkProgress Nice fake biased News source you got there.

- Black and Hispanic unemployment at an all time low
- Unemployment at a 17 year low
- Consumer confidence at a 17 year high
- Skyrocketing stock market

Thanks Republican Congress since 2010 and now thanks to President Trump!
I offer your response to my post as good evidence that pot shouldn't have been legalized in Washington State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies