Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2017, 05:13 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,433,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Whatever makes you sleep better at night but I’m on my way to work, to make more than an illegal immigrant. If you aren’t, pull yourself up by your bootstraps. Do better.
I'm doing just fine, pookie. I don't need your advice -- on anything.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:24 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,168,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I'm doing just fine, pookie. I don't need your advice -- on anything.
Who and what is pookie? You seem to be complaining and calling another a hater of Americans, so are you really just fine? The U.S. provides plenty opportunity to do better than illegal immigrants.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:32 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,433,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Who and what is pookie? You seem to be complaining and calling another a hater of Americans, so are you really just fine? The U.S. provides plenty opportunity to do better than illegal immigrants.
I thought you were leaving for work.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:26 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,118,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
WOW!
What a source!

What else do you know that some said to you?
Pffffft

Plug your ears to reality all you want. No sweat off my back

Old 12-27-2017, 06:33 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,118,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
You know someone who said...... Therefore it must be true, eh.

With the exception of a handful of states, eVerify is not a state law. Why is this?
You have no clue do you. Come down from your ivory tower

Old 12-27-2017, 06:36 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,168,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I thought you were leaving for work.
And so why, in your opinion, does choosing not to obsess over illegal immigration makes one a hater of America?

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 12-27-2017 at 07:00 AM..

Old 12-27-2017, 06:39 AM

62,880 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Don't have time to wade through several pages of posts, but from the few have seen some of you just don't have a clue of what is going on here in New York.

Yes, there are illegals working construction including the trades and making $35 or whatever per hour. However you must take into account that usually is *NOT* union wage, which feeds into another issue; the growth of open shop construction all over New York (including NYC) and threat to union labor it is causing.

You can't swing a dead cat in much of NYC without hitting development. From the large projects like massive Hudson Yards, to knocking down a few townhouses or a parking garage to build high rises.

Union labor in this state/town ain't cheap. https://therealdeal.com/2017/06/27/n...n-2016-report/

https://nypost.com/2017/05/16/nyc-is...uction-market/

Plus this construction boom has created a shortage of union and non-union workers for that matter. Meanwhile developers are under a gun to get buildings up so they can pay loans and or investors.

Illegals are hired for construction jobs form large to small here all the time. You go to some small jobs (a one family house, small to medium apartment building, etc..) and you likely wont' find one English speaking person. Chinese, Latino/Hispanic, various Africans and so forth with a good part all illegals.

Contractor simply sends out various parts of jobs for bids; the sub who gets that contract/job hires a crew. This can (and usually often is) guys he picks up off street corners or whatever. He knows they are illegals, they know they are illegal, likely the general contractor and or developer knows these people are illegal, but they will work cheap and so.....

By the time sub or whomever sends in paper work to the IRS and a "no match" letter comes back from SS it is very likely the particular sub has finished his work and thus disbanded that crew, so there isn't anyone to "fire".

Yes, now and then immigration does round ups (more so now that His Orangeness has taken over), but they nab only a few in relation to the vast numbers.

DT himself was sued (and lost) in court over hiring illegals for construction work. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/27/n...ettlement.html

Thirty-five dollars may seem like a lot, and to these guys (or girls) it is; but that is a small fraction of what a union tradesmen (or tradeswoman) would get.

Another issue you have is that this red hot NYC real estate market has every pisher and his brother are now "developers". They get investors to pool money (banks largely won't touch them), buy property and proceed to knock down a building and put up something new. Main thing they know is that the thing must make money. So they build cheaply as possible and that means cutting corners.

Long story short as with many other aspects of the US economy yes, illegals make up a good part of the construction industry all over this country , and that includes New York. Their exact numbers are open to debate, but it is fair to say without them just as with other sectors things would grind to a halt if removed (deported). http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...years-of-gains

Finally just to address comments about these illegals "taking American jobs", BS.

Just as with so many other jobs illegals have supposedly "stolen" from Americans, there is a reason why they are showing up in construction; not everyone wants or is willing to do that kind of work.

Construction is dirty, hard, back breaking and dangerous work that often involves being out in all kinds of weather at the crack of dawn until late afternoon or early evening.

What utter BS! Who do you think were doing construction and many other blue-collared back breaking jobs for a fair wage before millions of cheap illegals flooded our border? Trump was not convicted of hiring illegal aliens either. The contractor didn't pay them and there is no proof that Trump "knowingly" hired a contractor that hired illegal aliens.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:59 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What utter BS! Who do you think were doing construction and many other blue-collared back breaking jobs for a fair wage before millions of cheap illegals flooded our border? Trump was not convicted of hiring illegal aliens either. The contractor didn't pay them and there is no proof that Trump "knowingly" hired a contractor that hired illegal aliens.
Yeah well pal whatever went on back in you day ain't happening any more. Again *I* live here (NYC) and am here to tell you illegals are hired for all the reasons mentioned, you can easily do your own research.

DT like everyone else who hires/benefits off illegals always makes it an arm length transaction. As one stated clearly thing normally go through the general contractor then subs, but make no mistake everyone knows what time it is.

You're going to sit there with a straight face and say DT when walking through that project and noticing all those Polish workers didn't once go "hmmmmmm". Same thing for the Irish and anyone else..

Old 12-27-2017, 07:44 AM

62,880 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Yeah well pal whatever went on back in you day ain't happening any more. Again *I* live here (NYC) and am here to tell you illegals are hired for all the reasons mentioned, you can easily do your own research.

DT like everyone else who hires/benefits off illegals always makes it an arm length transaction. As one stated clearly thing normally go through the general contractor then subs, but make no mistake everyone knows what time it is.

You're going to sit there with a straight face and say DT when walking through that project and noticing all those Polish workers didn't once go "hmmmmmm". Same thing for the Irish and anyone else..

My day? lol. Americans have always done blue-collared jobs for a fair wage. Did they all of a sudden decide they don't want to do them anymore? Are you joking? There is no justification for hiring illegal aliens it's all about greed. Are legal immigrants too lazy to do blue-collared jobs also?

What makes you think that Trump didn't think they were legal workers? Get back with me when he is convicted for hiring illegal aliens.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:01 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Blame the companies hiring them... not the illegal/undocumented immigrants themselves.

There should be greater repercussions for employers who knowingly hire undocumented immigrants.

ETA: I also believe that undocumented immigrants who are already here and have ties to the community and have not committed any crime other than being here illegally, should be given easier paths toward legal status. Therefore, they will then be paying taxes. I do not believe however, that any immigrant should be eligible for any kind of government welfare programs, at least not for a number of years.
We can also blame ourselves--the average American citizen. Everyone wants to point the finger at the corrupt politicians in Washington, the evil multi-national corporations, the unions, etc. No one wants to admit their complicity in this whole thing.

Americans are addicted to cheap prices. Labor is a significant component of costs. Eliminate the cheap labor and costs go up. We don't want the immigrants, but we want the lower construction, housekeeping, gardening, patio-building costs that come with them. It's not much different from older GOP voters wanting lower taxes but more generous retirement benefits from Uncle Sam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies