Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who should be charged with murder?
The 911 Caller 17 42.50%
The Police officer on "administration leave" 23 57.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 05:29 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,738,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Because he was called out to a very tense situation... the cops thought they were dealing with a deranged guy who poured gasoline on his home was going to set it on fire and had his mother and sister locked in a closet with a gun pointing at them.. that is why!

It's not an excuse. the shoot first ask questions mentality is not what this society was built on. Cops have a dangerous job, they take the job knowing the risks. I think when roll calls began embedding in them that their first responsibility was to safeguard themselves it began a trend of me first policing. An officer's first duty is to protect and serve the public not himself. An officer's self-preservation is second to that. Also, It is high time to do away with I feared for my life defense. That is not a defense. Too many cops get away Scott free on a bad shooting by invoking this type of defense. All that tells me when a cop uses that line is that the cop was scared. If an officer is that scared they shouldn't be in uniform. The military doesn't engage in combat unless they are fired on. Why aren't police held to that same standard?

Both the caller and the cop that killed this man are responsible for their actions and should have to deal with the criminality of their consequences.

I am pretty supportive of the Police. However, I will not turn a blind eye to what I believe is a bad shooting or bad acts by any officer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 05:29 PM

33,572 posts, read 18,177,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I hope the cop can live with the guilt of killing an unarmed young father of two. Actually, I hope the cop suffers for the rest of his life.
Oh the officer will unjustifiably suffer... the caller has no remorse. That was evident in his response.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
It's not an excuse. the shoot first ask questions mentality is not what this society was built on. Cops have a dangerous job, they take the job knowing the risks. I think when roll calls began embedding in them that their first responsibility was to safeguard themselves it began a trend of me first policing. An officer's first duty is to protect and serve the public not himself. An officer's self-preservation is second to that. Also, It is high time to do away with I feared for my life defense. That is not a defense. Too many cops get away Scott free on a bad shooting by invoking this type of defense. All that tells me when a cop uses that line is that the cop was scared. If an officer is that scared they shouldn't be in uniform. The military doesn't engage in combat unless they are fired on. Why aren't police held to that same standard?

Both the caller and the cop that killed this man are responsible for their actions and should have to deal with the criminality of their consequences.

I am pretty supportive of the Police. However, I will not turn a blind eye to what I believe is a bad shooting or bad acts by any officer.
Get real.. they thought the house was covered by gasoline and a mother and younger son was trapped inside a closet and the caller said he wanted to set the house on fire.. a match away.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Get real.. they thought the house was covered by gasoline and a mother and younger son was trapped inside a closet and the caller said he wanted to set the house on fire.. a match away.
If the house was doused in gasoline they would have smelled it. If the house was doused with so much gasoline they could have seen the fumes. And by the way, discharging a gun in a situation where so much gasoline was open and present isn't the smartest thing to do. Very poor policing all around.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
If the house was doused in gasoline they would have smelled it. If the house was doused with so much gasoline they could have seen the fumes. And by the way, discharging a gun in a situation where so much gasoline was open and present isn't the smartest thing to do. Very poor policing all around.
Who says, the caller said he had his mother and younger brother in the back of the house in her room in a closet.. he could have doused the closet area only .....could have smelled it.. get real.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:44 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
Quote:
The cops are already trying to cover. Have you seen the police's statement?

Old 12-30-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Who says, the caller said he had his mother and younger brother in the back of the house in her room in a closet.. he could have doused the closet area only .....could have smelled it.. get real.
Don't change your narrative now to support a cop that was 100% wrong in discharging his gun.

Last edited by LGR_NYR; 12-30-2017 at 07:17 PM..

Old 12-30-2017, 06:17 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,989 times
Quote:

Coulda, woulda,shoulda..........an innocent man is dead.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:58 PM

469 posts, read 398,930 times
So, just to be sure I have this right...Guy A and Guy B are playing Call of Duty. They have a disagreement. Guy A threatens Guy B with Swatting. Guy B tells Guy A - You don't scare me, bring it on. I live at 123 ABC Street.

In fact Guy B does not live at that address. Guy C, who knows nothing about any of this, lives at 123 ABC Street.

Guy A calls his pal Guy D and asks him to SWAT the house at 123 ABC Street. He does so. Guy C steps out on to his porch to see what all the fuss is about, and is shot and killed by a cop.

Guy A is guilty of conspiring to commit a crime.
Guy B is guilty of providing false information (someone else's address) and inciting Guy A, knowing that Guy A was going to SWAT 123 ABC Street and that someone innocent at that address was going to be put in danger. He set Guy C up to be shot and is guilty as well.
Guy D is guilty of actually sending the police to the house.
The Cop is guilty of needlessly pulling the trigger set in motion by Guys A, B, and D.

All of them should be charged to varying degrees. Except of course, Guy C, who had nothing to do with any of it. I picked charging Guy D in your survey because you didn't have enough options, and until he made his call it was all just macho posturing between a bunch of immature jerks. Guy D turned it into an actual crime that resulted in the senseless murder of an innocent man.

And I'm a liberal, BTW. Not sure why some people think that being called a liberal is an insult.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:11 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I voted caller.

I'm pretty quick to call out bad police shootings, but without video evidence it doesn't sound like the police officer did anything wrong if the guy was repeatedly putting his hands down. You really got to pay attention and be good at playing simon says nowadays if you want to survive an encounter with American police.

This further proves that my theory I formed after the Daniel shaver video that it's best to ignore all of the cops commands and just lie flat on the ground and stay completely still and frozen in place and make them come to you to arrest you. Of course this is no guarantee of survival. I have no doubts that some American cops out there would gladly shoot someone lying still on the ground for "not complying".

It would be ideal if cops had to wait for someone to actually brandish a weapon before opening fire. This whole "made a movement consistent with reaching towards his waistband" and I "felt threatened" stuff is pretty vague. There needs to be a better set of guidelines of when it is and isn't OK to use lethal force, not just whenever you feel like it.
But don't you see something wrong with this statement? This is apparently what it has come to, but that isn't what it should be or has to be.

I know that police officers have tough jobs. I know that they had every reason (probably) to think this was a real incident and emergency. But it wasn't. And now an innocent guy is dead. For, basically, opening the door to his own home. And while the caller is definitely culpable and a disgusting human being, he didn't pull the trigger.

I see why you say not to do anything but put your hands up and listen to the cops, but this is great advice for those who actually did something and have been caught. This poor guy was probably confused AF and didn't know what the hell was going on. He probably didn't even think about where his hands were going. This is just tragic, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies