Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who should be charged with murder?
The 911 Caller 17 42.50%
The Police officer on "administration leave" 23 57.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 02:52 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times

Advertisements

Shooting an unarmed person, who isn't a threat, is murder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 05:28 AM

33,572 posts, read 18,177,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Shooting an unarmed person, who isn't a threat, is murder.
The caller said he was armed. The police believed the hoax on them and they believed he was holding a gun. They obviously believed . the call because they went there.

Should we hold the 911 operator accountable too for believing the caller and passing the information of the caller as being armed?

Old 12-31-2017, 07:03 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Do you want the police to come if there is a good chance they will shoot you?
Do you want them to not come because human trash keeps using them as a weapon and they simply assume that it's just another prank? This has absolutely happened before. Or they take their time responding because there are other, more believable calls to respond too.
What is a good chance that they will shoot you? How many innocent people are shot out of all police responses? Of the literally thousands a day?

Old 12-31-2017, 07:13 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Do you want them to not come because human trash keeps using them as a weapon and they simply assume that it's just another prank? This has absolutely happened before. Or they take their time responding because there are other, more believable calls to respond too.
What is a good chance that they will shoot you? How many innocent people are shot out of all police responses? Of the literally thousands a day?
Individuals interact millions of times a day. It all goes fine in all but a few instances. Because it goes well the vast majority of times does not excuse when it doesn't.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:19 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,902,967 times
The 911 caller should be held responsible and should get life in prison or the death penalty. The police officer should likely be fired, but I wouldn’t charge him with anything. As far as we know he thought he was in a conflict with an armed man who had just murdered someone.

The 911 caller is completely responsible, but I do believe police departments have a serious training problem. They should throw the book at this “swatter” and get this stopped. Evidently this guy has done this multiple times before.

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Default Police Kill Innocent Man At His Front Door After Fake 911 Call Dispatches Them There

The "swatter" has a long record of bomb threats in addition to his swatting calls. He needs to spend about half a century in a small cell.

The cop needs to be investigated and charged if appropriate.

From the limited info available, it sounds like a bad shoot.

5,051 posts, read 3,583,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The caller said he was armed. The police believed the hoax on them and they believed he was holding a gun. They obviously believed . the call because they went there.

Should we hold the 911 operator accountable too for believing the caller and passing the information of the caller as being armed?
It is not too much to expect police to DO THIER JOB and investigate and not engage in killing innocent members of the general public because they are scared.

The US is not Iraq. A family's son is dead because he answered the door. The blue wall of silence will close around this officer and no charges will ever be brought in a situation where they are obviously at fault. The only way to cut down on these things is for the police to be better trained in non-violent confrontation techniques and to stop viewing the general public as "perps"/

Old 12-31-2017, 07:24 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Individuals interact millions of times a day. It all goes fine in all but a few instances. Because it goes well the vast majority of times does not excuse when it doesn't.
I absolutely agree. Thats why earlier I said the cop needs to be held accountable. But, branding all cops bad is just as bad as branding all blacks bad because a number of them are bad. It seems that those who cry racism the loudest also seem to be really good at labeling others.
Bad cops make all cops look bad, good cops who cover for bad cops mad themselves a bad cop.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:27 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I absolutely agree. Thats why earlier I said the cop needs to be held accountable. But, branding all cops bad is just as bad as branding all blacks bad because a number of them are bad. It seems that those who cry racism the loudest also seem to be really good at labeling others.
Bad cops make all cops look bad, good cops who cover for bad cops mad themselves a bad cop.
Except in rare cases the entire force covers for them. That is changing a little.

Some officers may not like it but they know they can't speak up.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:33 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Based on forum hysteria, expressed at a distance, the caller needs to get at least 25 years. the cop's guilt still has to be adjudicated. Too many variables unanswered to assign cops level of guilt.

If 911 call still in progress, how would cops get that information when the situation is concurrent with the call?

If the cops believed the guy was going for a cigarette lighter or cell phone, both of which may be used to ignite an explosion/fire, and gas doused victims were reported, it was a judgment call.

Why on earth would a guy not keep his hands in the air?????

I know nothing but through cop movies, though when I was erroneously thought to be a terrorist who killed a trooper and was surrounded by 2 dozen cops at night, I knew enough to stick both arms high in the air through an open window of the truck and not drop them. When I was told to get out of the f******** truck, I reached for the outside door handle, the door was locked. I told the cop the door was locked and I was going to unlock it by pulling the button up. A black cop was shaking, as he held a pistol in my face. This was all before the call by terrorist organizations to kill cops and inflame cop /civilian interactions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies