Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2018, 11:27 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

I have to say that I agree with Xpat. geekiegurl is very brave to share her experiences with strangers here.

She needs our understanding and compassion. At the end of the day, maybe we can all accept that we are all different. We can agree to disagree with the definition, but giving another human being the compassion and understanding is really a kind thing to do. Kindness still matters. Maybe no one can really convince me why transgenders should be allowed to openly serve in the military, my strong opinion is that they shouldn't be allowed to openly serve in the military. I love the military and I want the best for the military and our service members. However, I don't hate transgender people, we all have different struggles.

I think most posters mean well, this is a sensitive topic.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:27 AM

1,975 posts, read 1,941,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
You really don't understand this topic at all. Nor do you understand the many uses of the word binary.
what is there to understand an ideology that is only based on feelings and emotions?

Old 01-11-2018, 11:33 AM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
So much has been discovered, we don't know what else may be learned over time. Being educated on the subject can go a long way.

"Geekigurl" does very well in these threads where transgendered comes up. It cannot be easy for her to take much of the abuse that is dished out. I know her goal is to try to help others understand, at least, I think, to the point that she understands it herself.

The actions of any one individual/minority in a certain demographic should never be used against the majority, yet we see it all the time here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhHGCvMlrb0

Old 01-11-2018, 12:48 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Gender fluidity falls under the transgender umbrella (as do a lot of things, although people in the community argue over what should be included and what shouldn't so it's not a consensus)

The thing is, they don't feel more male on some days and more female on others, they feel more masculine and more feminine - people really need to learn the difference between sex and gender as they are not the same. Male/female are not feelings, they are biological realities, I don't feel female I just am one (and a fairly gender non-conforming one at that - very glad this was not mainstream when I was growing up otherwise I may have transitioned and would be very unhappy now)
Exactly! Thanks!

Old 01-11-2018, 01:27 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I have to say that I agree with Xpat. geekiegurl is very brave to share her experiences with strangers here.

She needs our understanding and compassion. At the end of the day, maybe we can all accept that we are all different. We can agree to disagree with the definition, but giving another human being the compassion and understanding is really a kind thing to do. Kindness still matters. Maybe no one can really convince me why transgenders should be allowed to openly serve in the military, my strong opinion is that they shouldn't be allowed to openly serve in the military. I love the military and I want the best for the military and our service members. However, I don't hate transgender people, we all have different struggles.

I think most posters mean well, this is a sensitive topic.
Thank you, lily! Compassion, kindness and understanding is all that I'm asking for. They won't let me rep you again.....grrr lol.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:27 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Here is an example of how even a discussion of pronouns in a college environment results in disciplinary action.

Lindsay Shepherd, a Canadian teaching asst that was brought in for disciplinary action because in a lesson about grammar, she showed a 5 min clip of a debate about the use pronouns. Canada has a hate law on the books regarding the use of pronouns. She was neutral in her presentation to the class, showing both sides of the issue and did not take a position herself during the discussion.

During the disciplinary meeting she was told it was wrong not to present an opinion on the matter and that was the issue at hand. That she did not support the use of trans-approved pronouns. Simply presenting the information was NOT ENOUGH.

She asked multiple times what the complaint was, how many students filed complaint and was told that that information was confidential. She was not told the nature of the complaint or how many students had filed. She had the presence of mind to record the meeting and then released it on YouTube.

After it was released, there was an investigation, and it was found that NO complaint has been filed.

Lindsay Shepherd Controversy: Students Never Complained About TA, Laurier Finds

Excerpt:

"The saga began when Shepherd led two tutorial groups of students taking a first-year communications course.
As part of a lesson on the complexities of grammar, Shepherd said she was trying to demonstrate that the structure of a language can impact the society in which its spoken in ways people might not anticipate.

To illustrate her point, she said she mentioned that long-standing views on gender had likely been shaped by the gender-specific pronouns that are part of English's fundamental grammatical structure.
The clip of Peterson debating sexual diversity scholar Nicholas Matte, she said, was meant to demonstrate ways in which the existence of gender-specific pronouns has caused controversy."

##
News interview after the investigation revealed that there was no student complaint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81f748gBaTs

Old 01-11-2018, 01:29 PM

Here is the full recording of the disciplinary hearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YdFlKaJv4g

Old 01-11-2018, 01:33 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
So much has been discovered, we don't know what else may be learned over time. Being educated on the subject can go a long way.

"Geekigurl" does very well in these threads where transgendered comes up. It cannot be easy for her to take much of the abuse that is dished out. I know her goal is to try to help others understand, at least, I think, to the point that she understands it herself.

The actions of any one individual/minority in a certain demographic should never be used against the majority, yet we see it all the time here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhHGCvMlrb0
That awkward moment when people find out that the world isn't as black & white as they thought. LOL

It can be difficult for sure, but I need to share as much as possible in the hopes of helping someone like me.

You're awesome, AElse. Thank you for you.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
I am in Canada and i don' think police forces will waste their time trying to enforce this law
Look into what happened to Lindsey Shepherd a TA who had a neutral discussion with an entry level writing class about gender/pronouns, and was brought in for a disciplinary hearing. Because she did not promote trans-use of pronouns. She instead presented a neutral video clip to show both sides of the issue.

But the disciplinary committee said it was WRONG to present both sides without telling teh students that the trans-pronouns are CORRECT.

This is on the radar. It's only a matter of time.

BTW: She was reported by an LGBT organization. The students never filed a complaint.

THIS is exactly what I've been posting about. Go live your life howeeeeeever you want.

But when you go after people for having conversations about PRONOUNS??? Dictate what can be TAUGHT??? Try to get them FIRED?

Line in sand.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:46 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Thank you, lily! Compassion, kindness and understanding is all that I'm asking for. They won't let me rep you again.....grrr lol.
I wish I could rep a few of you MUCH more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies