Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 09:42 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Really?

1964, top rate cut from 91% to 77%.......Democrats controlled both houses.
1965, top rate cut from 77% to 70%.......Democrats controlled both houses.
1982, top rate cut from 70% to 50%.......Democrats controlled Congress.
1987, top rate cut from 50% to 38.5%.... Democrats controlled both houses.
1988, top rate cut from 38.5% to 33%.... Democrats controlled both houses.
1991, top rate cut from 33% to 31%........Democrats controlled both houses.
The large majority like tax cuts.

The large majority like the welfare state.

That’s why we have deficits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 09:46 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,931,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
most of the whiners don't have jobs.
Or they have advanced degrees in social justice and work at Starbucks.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:46 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post

Example..We have 7 different government milk programs..each program is funded and staffed with people.
One is called the "Special Milk Program" to give milk to those who don't qualify for any of the other six.
How stupid is that ?
And people who need food stamps don't get them, while people who don't need food stamps get them.

And Section 8 Housing hands out people $700 a month so they don't even have to work. And huge numbers of Americans need housing assistance but the Section 8 program is out out funds.

And I know a person with one leg, another with 6 inches of titanium backbone and another who can barely walk. And it took years for the people with one leg and 6 inches of titanium spine to get Social Security Disability, and the one who can barely walk can't even get it (but I know people who instantly got SS disability and they didn't even need it.)

But republicans don't want to fix these programs, they want to outright eliminate them. And regardless how messed up and STUPID our government programs are kids still need milk, many people still need food stamps, many people still need housing assistance and many people still need disability payments.

Quote:
At some point you have to stop feeding the monster and cut back on the bloat and overlap.
Perhaps a better solution would be having liberals and conservatives work together to fix these problems.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:53 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
And people who need food stamps don't get them, but people who don't need food stamps get them.

And Section 8 Housing hands out people $700 a month so they don't even have to work. And huge numbers of Americans need housing assistance but the Section 8 program is out out funds.

And I know a person with one leg, another with 6 inches of titanium backbone and another who can barely walk. And it took years for the people with one leg and 6 inches of titanium spine to get Social Security Disability, and the one who can barely walk can't even get it (but I know people who instantly got SS disability and they didn't even need it.)

But republicans don't want to fix these programs, they want to outright eliminate them. And regardless how messed up and STUPID our government programs are kids still need milk, many people still need food stamps, many people still need housing assistance and many people need disability payments.

A better solution would be having liberals and conservatives work together to fix these problems.
And neither do the Democrats my friend.

Our government has learned that they can just raise the debt ceiling and keep on spending.
And they use fear to do that.

Sadly we don't have liberals/conservatives who are closer to the center in our government.
What we have are two extremely polarized parties who refuse to work together or compromise.

And we put them in there and keep sending them back.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:55 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,903 times
I will be seeing less money in my paycheck this month as I am increasing my contribution rate on my 401K.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:55 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
wow, while having to file a corporate, personal and state tax return, and then deal with the AMT return, you're complaining about a simple W4 form? lol
Dude, we have a CPA and my point was not about some forms.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-13-2018, 10:00 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
90% get a tax cut vs. "But for many taxpayers"....

NO plan is perfect.

NO plan is "good" for everybody.

Life is not Utopia.

Maybe your parents didn't give you talk on the fact of life as a kid.

Why is everyone hurrahing a tax cut if you get $20 bucks in your paycheck but will pay 15 of that when you file your taxes? The concept is the same, the numbers will vary.

We will come out a little ahead, it wasn't really my household I am concerned with.

It's the base that trump promised to help, and they get almost nothing. But they seem to believe they are, and don't care if it will be taken from them at tax time. Maybe this is why they are poor - lack of financial common sense.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-13-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I will be seeing less money in my paycheck this month as I am increasing my contribution rate on my 401K.
Good for you. Pay yourself first and Uncle Sam second.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Why is everyone hurrahing a tax cut if you get $20 bucks in your paycheck but will pay 15 of that when you file your taxes? The concept is the same, the numbers will vary.

We will come out a little ahead, it wasn't really my household I am concerned with.

It's the base that trump promised to help, and they get almost nothing. But they seem to believe they are, and don't care if it will be taken from them at tax time. Maybe this is why they are poor - lack of financial common sense.
And your source for that ?

Old 01-13-2018, 10:15 AM

13,949 posts, read 5,620,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
"But for many taxpayers, they will need to assess whether the new tables really are withholding enough money so that they’re not saddled with a big bill when they file their taxes next year."
Same rule that applies every year when rates/regs change, you get a pay raise, earn extra income from additional sources, etc. The game is rigged to make sure legit tax revenue is augmented with fines, penalties and interest as a result of the code being so freaking byzantine.

So this current reform doesn't change that, and if anything is a downside to what is otherwise a great tax package for the nation, it's Trump not being able to get the "taxes so simple, the return can be a postcard" thing accomplished.

Bottom line, most people come out ahead and will begin seeing it every paycheck starting next month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies