Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 12:11 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,353,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
No liberal, me included, would say they aren't. We might use kinder words but the economics are fact and us libs like facts and reality and all the stuff that makes you righties uncomfortable.

That doesn't make the people from them ****ty, however. That's the distinction that you conservatives don't get.
I'm curious what you think the problem is if it isn't the people living there. Do you just mean their governments are stifling the citizens potential? If so, I'd agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 12:13 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,882,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The WINNERS don't want to come. Why should they? People move for opportunities, which is on its face an indication that they see room for improvement. If someone is at the peak of their game living in Norway, why on earth would he want to chuck it all to come to America? It doesn't make sense.
This is empirically false. See: the over-subscription of both the EB-5 and H1-B programs, which bring in people who are richer or more skilled (respectively) than most people in America, much less the sending countries.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:44 PM

25,948 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
1) This country had existed for nearly 100 years before Emma Lazzarus wrote much of anything. What does she have to do with absolutely anything?

2) Immigration had the same purpose then as it does now, economic-growth.

3) Economic-growth doesn't mean everyone is better off. It just means the total GDP increases in size. The government is indifferent to income-inequality, except to the extent that it affects rates of consumption, which would either increase or decrease GDP.

If the government could get more economic-growth by making most people poorer, it would.
Not with illegal aliens or refugees coming in. Syrian refugee cost over $40,000 each for their resettlement. Illegal aliens cost $13.5 billion per year in taxpayer dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I'm tired of you stereotyping immigrants as welfare collectors and criminals. Show some evidence of your claims.
You already asked: //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...mmigrants.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
When this land was first settled many came over as indentured servants, people hard on their luck, and some were criminals exiled as punishment. Another large block came over as slaves. We turned out fine in spite of all that.

From my experience immigrants work harder and longer hours than native born people, they don't ask for handouts, just a chance. The fact that they come from places that are not full of opportunities motivates them further, they know a blessing when they encounter one. They are very industrious, and would make good natural Republicans if troglodyte members of the party didn't trash talk them.

Your narrative is no way to think of these people. They do not deserve it.
Can you be more specific about the work and area these immigrants came from? Obviously not illegal aliens that cost us $135 billion a year in tax dollars, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
Yet 51% of immigrants are on one or more welfare programs (2015 SIPP done by Census Bureau).
Statistics beg to differ with your opinion.

Census Bureau will put out a new SIPP this year
The document: https://www.census.gov/sipp/ Lots of interesting info at that link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
It is insane. People with education and means to support themselves run into brick walls if they want to come here legally. Yet poor, uneducated families of multiple generations can just walk across the border and be welcomed and supported by the government.

It makes absolutely no sense.
That is what is driving us into poverty for our own people. We subsidize both the employers, and others who exploit the illegals and the illegals themselves. Refugees are a major drain also. Legal immigrants that cannot support themselves should be returned to their country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
A country, take Mexico for example, "sends" its people simply by doing absolutely nothing to assist with bettering the standard of living for its poor and undesirable. Mexico does absolutely nothing to discourage illegal immigration of their own people (they practically encourage it) and then is angered by the US when we try to deport them back. Why is that?

Simple answer is that the people that flock to the US from Mexico illegally are of no importance to their home country. They are a drag on their economy and many are not even literate in their own language much less English. By exporting those undesirables they in turn increase their middle class and overall economy. This is why Mexico fiercely protects its southern borders from those looking to come over illegally from Central and South America.

Hypocrites to the max and completely unapologetic about it. Mexico laughs at us daily. I agree those coming here are looking for a better future, but at whose expense?
Mexico actually encourages and assists them to come into our country and avoid detection:

http://eagleforum.org/topics/amnesty...-Guidebook.pdf

Mexicans in the US sent about $26 billion into Mexico. Trump has talked about putting a sort of tariff on that money going out to help secure the border, which I think is an awesome idea!

Remittances sent to Mexico reaches record high of more than $26 billion | KGBT

A Mexican Manual for Illegal Migrants Upsets Some in U.S. - The New York Times

Old 01-15-2018, 12:47 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,623,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I'm tired of you stereotyping immigrants as welfare collectors and criminals. Show some evidence of your claims.
Look at your tax bill. That should be proof enough unless you are the one living off the working taxpayer.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:57 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,213,988 times
Merit-based immigration is Koch-speak for bringing in cheap labor to compete and replace America's educated class in the same way that illegals and free trade did with our working class.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:59 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
This is empirically false. See: the over-subscription of both the EB-5 and H1-B programs, which bring in people who are richer or more skilled (respectively) than most people in America, much less the sending countries.
Shenanigans. Look at the countries that supply by far the majority of the H1-B visa applicants. In broad terms, the H1-B program offers people a chance to be an IT professional in the US over the chance to be an IT professional in Bangalore, and yes - that is an attractive prospect for many. What you don't see are people vying for the chance of becoming an 80K/yr IT professional in the US over being one in Oslo. Because, frankly, Oslo offers the better quality of life.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:10 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I'm curious what you think the problem is if it isn't the people living there. Do you just mean their governments are stifling the citizens potential? If so, I'd agree.
That's true in a few exception like N. Korea who would otherwise be high IQ and industrious like S Korea, but not for the vast 3rd world. And even then it still says something about the people in N. Korea. They will not take a stand for their own liberty. Western Europeans were the first to revolt against authoritarianism and did it repeatedly during their history.

So people lacking liberty in their own countries due to their own fault would not make for immigrants that would sustain liberty in America. They would be putty in the American liberal's hand and that's why democrats like immigration.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:26 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Why is Europe better? It was undeniably a ****hole back then.
Back when and where? Western European countries were building empires before America was first settled even going way back to 1609. Britain and Western Europe were not s-holes. Most of my ancestors from the British Isle may have been mostly relatively poor, but they had for the era substantial rights as English persons/subjects and were relatively wealthy, skilled and educated vs the rest of the world. They came to a America a stone age s-hole really just a wild frontier compared to where they came from and built it into a great nation. Basically what was the rest of the world in 1600? Crazy talk.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:28 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,882,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Shenanigans. Look at the countries that supply by far the majority of the H1-B visa applicants. In broad terms, the H1-B program offers people a chance to be an IT professional in the US over the chance to be an IT professional in Bangalore, and yes - that is an attractive prospect for many. What you don't see are people vying for the chance of becoming an 80K/yr IT professional in the US over being one in Oslo. Because, frankly, Oslo offers the better quality of life.
IT professionals capable of pulling down $80K in the states despite being trained in India and the suppressant effect on salary of being here on an H1B absolutely are "winners." They're the top 5% give or take of Indian society back home. That they are from Bangalore and not Oslo is neither here nor there: they make our country better off by being here. This compounds over time: should they get a permanent visa their kids with all the opportunities available in this country tend to do even better than their parents.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:32 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I'm glad that we finally have a president that doesn't think the US should be a dumpster for the rest of the world to deposit their trash. Is anyone else tired of the endless torrent of perpetual welfare collectors and criminals pouring into this country? I know I am.
Shrug, I have no idea who is an immigrant & who is not or who is collecting welfare & who is not when I'm driving down the street, walking down the sidewalk or shopping at a store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies