Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 04:42 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,220,852 times

Advertisements

More H1-B visas will be needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 05:30 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
Hope the new campus is in a mid to large-ish sized city in flyover country with a good COL.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:38 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Apple is racist for not putting their factory in some third world sh%thole nation.

Cory Booker is already throwing a huge hissy over Apple disrespecting his ancestors. What, a black man can't build a phone?!
Is this a mock on the whole "$***hole nations" comment, because it fails. It isn't racist to repatriate, it just means a shift from price to quality. Some people do that when CEO, some do the inverse. FYI, Apple mainly used China which is far from third world, it was mainly the same kind of sweatshops we had a century ago.

This post if not ironic and satire shows that the right is just going to continue knocking Apple, even if they are trying to strengthen the meme of the companies using the tax breaks. As I stated before, at least Apple don't have any glaring "yeah, but..." reasons to toss shade at the way they are handling tax breaks. Bonuses are one-time things, and in some cases the infrastructure expansions were planned and in others, the company is doing it because of a lower tax rate despite them not paying taxes...

Old 01-18-2018, 05:41 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Hope the new campus is in a mid to large-ish sized city in flyover country with a good COL.
I doubt it. It will likely be in California, maybe Arizona as Arizona is becoming a tech hot bed. It isn't coming to say Des Moines or Kansas City.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:18 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
They're shooting at buses carrying Apple employees in Cupertino so I doubt it will be there.

Buses carrying Apple and Google employees were hit by unknown objects - Business Insider

Talk about killing the goose..

Old 01-18-2018, 06:18 AM

57,314 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Actually, with the multiplier effect of investment, Cook estimates it will be in the are of $350BILLION after all of the investment has cycled through the economy.

Pom, poms. No, the genuine excitement about the positive affects is really to help you recovering liberal progressives know what is right and good in this world. Addicts need the reinforcement about good capitalistic news.

Example: Using qualifying words like "not quite direct", is like the addict who tells herself, I can shoot up just one more time, then I'll quit. Or the drunk who assures all, including himself, I can have just one drink. I can handle it.

That is it.
Cook attributed this mostly to the tax cut (not all), I will await to see if his projections come true. They are a very profitable company to begin with as they just built a new $5B headquarters building.We will see if this elevates middle class wages and reduces already unemployment in general, we getter get something in return for going into debt.

We had a repatriation back in 2004 and it was a failure, it resulted in stock buy-backs and increases in executive compensation and very few jobs. Apple indicates it will be hiring that is an improvement from 2004 so we will see if other companies follow suit.

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- The 15 companies that benefited the most from a 2004 tax break for the return of their overseas profits cut more than 20,000 net jobs and decreased the pace of their research spending, according to report from the Democratic staff of the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations released Monday night.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001...23771022129888

Old 01-18-2018, 06:31 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,089,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
From the description it sound like most of these will actually be help center-type jobs, at least at the outset.
That means I will be able to understand them over the telephone! Just keeps getting better.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Apple, another BLUE STATE success story from here in CALIFORNIA
Wait and see where they place the new jobs. Employees cost more in CA. Property costs more in CA. If this is an economic decision, then there is less of a chance it will be there.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
#yourpoststinksofdenial

naw your post is just your wishful thinking. 2018 will up end Trumpism, and while you might deny this reality your denials do nothing to alter it.

A blue wave is likely, and if the dems take the house the Rs won't have control of the committees...
If you are correct I'd better plan to short all my stocks.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:49 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Funny Alabama is Red, yes?

Seems Alabama voted for trump, yes?

Huntsville, Alabama has the highest number of engineers per 1000 workers (about 68 per 1000) than any other place in the United States. So, there goes your useless theory....maybe educate yourself a little...

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/fjle.../#3b3352ae39cc

Sorry, it's 60 per 1k

I would have never thought that. Alabama doesn't seem like a tech or manufacturing mecc, although really don't know much about the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies