Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 01:08 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,814,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
cite please??
I think there are plenty of qualified Americans. The problem is the corporations were spinning that crap to make an excuse to outsource to Asia. I should know I worked for a few that would spin that crap.
https://www.asee.org/papers-and-publ...mbersPart1.pdf

All the colleges in the entire US only awards about 20,000 BS degrees in electrical/computer engineering/computer science a year (this includes both US and foreign nationals).

You think having a bachelor's is good enough to work for Apple? Think again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 01:18 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
and yet when the dems suggested a the same tax break during Obama's admin the Rs went insane and declared it did not work last time and would not work this time...

here is the deal. APPLE , GOOGLE etc have all just gotten the biggest windfall tax break in US history, they are being allowed to pay cents on the dollar instead of the full taxes due to the US.

Why do you think stocks went up so much? MSFT is laughing it's butt off. the Republican party just signed a tax bill that lets them get away with paying the billions owed.

and guess what folks, apple is not bringing the cash anywhere, it is all invested in various bonds, equities etc, you hardly think they have a vault somewhere. it fully invested and makes a solid return, just like Goog just like MSFt...

nope all this did was allow Apple to call the money 'tax paid for cents on the dollar and every single investor out there knows this is true.

Apple is NOT hiring so much as 1 new person due to this, instead they are following along the long term plan, just as MSFT recently announced a massive new campus that will add space for 8k just a few months ago... but just like apple this has been on the books for a long time.

Tech is booming, it has nothing to do with Obama, it has nothing to do with Trump, and has everything to do with an improving global economy. EU based equities are doing excellent and might even be more over priced than their US counterparts.
You could have thrown money in a ditch and come out rich the last few years. Trumpers are super late too the party. you guys are only sensing now because your Obama hate, blinded you to the greater world.

my warning to trumpers? it is later than you seem to think. By most metrics equities are fully priced, so be careful, stay in but don't be greedy.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
https://www.asee.org/papers-and-publ...mbersPart1.pdf

All the colleges in the entire US only awards about 20,000 BS degrees in electrical/computer engineering/computer science a year (this includes both US and foreign nationals).

You think having a bachelor's is good enough to work for Apple? Think again.
agreed.

about 20 years ago a BA or BS was fine, hell you get some certs, skills and a little experience and you were golden.

Today, NOPE. You want a job with a top tier tech you need to be top tier. As my buddy says, he could not hire himself today. He would not even interview himself , he would not even send a response to himself today.
Today tech is more like pro sports. only a fraction of the population have the requirements to make it. Thus we need to improve our system to catch as many as we can as early as we can. Our education system is not designed to handle the needs of industry, instead it is geared up to handle the needs of the education system .

We have millions of kid coming out of HS, without a real education because they are slaves to continual assessment. instead of deep learning ,they are churning out endless pointless paperwork so that teachers can apply a pointless rubric.

I see kids who could cut me in half with their intellect ground down to stumps due to teachers requiring they fill in tens of thousands of worksheets that mean nothing to them. And the teachers, blame the sytem and the district blames 3rd level. all the while the great sorting machines of education are failing to sort as they are intended to do. precious minds are being wasted, above average kids are becoming nothing more than mindless grinders, trained to perform like thoughtless drones.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:45 PM

46,309 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Either that, or you'll get the low wage-service jobs that people are complaining about. It takes hard work to earn a high salary especially at a well known corporation like Apple.

WOW...you're a genius....

You do not need a masters or higher to get a job....your experience in the military as a 28 year electrical engineer will provide more experience than most who just get the degree....

There are other ways, than just having a masters or higher to work at Apple....and not just the low wage jobs you speak of...

Old 01-17-2018, 01:51 PM

833 posts, read 521,293 times
Hey Democrats, if you think this President will be impeached, then you are living in an alternate reality. The changes and progress being made in this country will not be impeded. Even your fellow Democrats in Congress will run far, far away from the notion of an impeachment. In America, we don't stand in the way of booming economic progress with blatant partisan politics. You think lobbying is bad now? Wait until Democrats try to tank the economy with impeachment nonsense. Those handful of idiots will be tarred and feathered. I hope you folks understand that. If you don't, then you need to find a new hobby that better suits your capacity to participate.

#giveitup

Old 01-17-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post

You do not need a masters or higher to get a job....your experience in the military as a 28 year electrical engineer will provide more experience than most who just get the degree....

There are other ways, than just having a masters or higher to work at Apple....and not just the low wage jobs you speak of...
chuck when discussing such matters, we ignore extreme outliers. Your case is built on extreme outliers.

virtually every single hire at top tier tech companies requires best in field qualifications. There are exceptions, some hires will get there through their excellent work history. They are a rare breed and they consist of exceptional people.

I know these people and the ones who get hired despite the missing paperwork hardly exist. they are extreme outliers and their stories are told many many times but hardly ever replicated.

in short NO you cannot get a top tier tech job with without the background and the skills. the outlier proves the rule.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:53 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,814,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post

Keep thinking that way...all you'll see is more H1B visas from Apple importing people with those degrees. Education has a value and so does experience. They go together, you cannot go one without the other or somehow substitute your experience for education.

Face reality, competition is tough. I earned my master's and no way I could compete with the likes of a lot of the engineers who works at those large corporations. They're top tier talent. If you don't believe me, go look at their job requirements. All technical positions (that doesn't do mindless monkey work) requires a MS or higher along with some experience (or some academic background research) to be competitive for the position.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:55 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,550,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Clay Banger View Post
Hey Democrats, if you think this President will be impeached, then you are living in an alternate reality. The changes being made to this country will not be impeded. I hope you folks understand that.
Um ... Bill Clinton oversaw one of the biggest boom periods and it did not prevent him from getting impeached.

If that weren't enough, one of the most-booming, if not THE most-booming, consecutive two-year periods post-WWII occurred while Jimmy Carter was president and democrats controlled both houses of congress. In other words, presiding over great economic news does not mean immunity from scandal or automatic re-election.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Clay Banger View Post
Hey Democrats, if you think this President will be impeached, then you are living in an alternate reality. The changes being made to this country will not be impeded. Even your fellow Democrats in Congress will run far, far away from that notion. In America, we don't stand in the way of booming economic progress with blatant partisan politics. I hope you folks understand that.

#giveitup
#yourpoststinksofdenial

naw your post is just your wishful thinking. 2018 will up end Trumpism, and while you might deny this reality your denials do nothing to alter it.

A blue wave is likely, and if the dems take the house the Rs won't have control of the committees...

Old 01-17-2018, 01:56 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,787,818 times
Good news - but it won't help the people that elected Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies