Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2018, 03:23 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bck6a89ek6s

Shoot to the 4:09 mark and on....is that not solder?

Yes, I understand that it's almost always done (99.99999999999999999999999999%) by computer....

BTW, I'm not an Engineer....However, I've been in Aviation since 1987....I do have a MBA, only because I could not transfer my GI bill to my son....I technically missed is by 1 second.....I retired from the military July 31st at midnight, I could transfer my GI bill August 1st....
I didn't say the skill is irrelevant. But that's not where the big bucks are at. Knowing how to solder won't get you a high salary.

I also work in the aviation industry also, but I'm an engineer. Most of the things we do are automated by software. We have a big team of engineers where half of them are dedicated to software tooling support and the other half are design and test engineers (the design team is much bigger than the test team obviously). That's it. Not 1 technician in sight. Same goes for my last job and my job before that. There's very little manual labor if any at all.

Last edited by man4857; 01-17-2018 at 03:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 03:25 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
I think if people know the real deal with how far technology as gotten. It'll scare everyone as to how automated everything is nowadays.

There's so many levels of software to automate everything, it's insane. There's software to run entire system tests all on it's own, software to write code, software to correct code, software to check circuit errors, etc... All you'd need is a computer with the right software packages and you're set as an engineer, you won't even need to know how a circuit physically looks like anymore. Why do extra work when you can have a computer do it?

The only thing computers cannot do so far that's hard to replicate is the design element. Design comes from people's creativity. That's very hard for a computer to mimic.
Uhh... yeah you do need to know what the circuit physically looks like... you program a driver to close a circuit or provide ground and don't know which wire is ground which wire is to feed voltage you'd have a blown up circuit board. Or a device running backwards due to polarity being reversed... say a window regulator. I used to prank my brother in law and switch the wires to his master switch around. Window buttons down was up. Up was down. Right rear passenger window went down when you'd press the drivers window to go up.

Just a matter of changing the pins around in the connector. Don't know what a circuit looks like you may wind up FSU and quick...

Old 01-17-2018, 03:30 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Uhh... yeah you do need to know what the circuit physically looks like... you program a driver to close a circuit or provide ground and don't know which wire is ground which wire is to feed voltage you'd have a blown up circuit board. Or a device running backwards due to polarity being reversed... say a window regulator. I used to prank my brother in law and switch the wires to his master switch around. Window buttons down was up. Up was down. Right rear passenger window went down when you'd press the drivers window to go up.

Just a matter of changing the pins around in the connector. Don't know what a circuit looks like you may wind up FSU and quick...
Like I said for the soldering example. The knowledge is not completely irrelevant. Maybe at other jobs that are technically classified as a "technician" you do need to know how circuits physically looks like. But that's for a technician, not an engineer. However, don't expect to be paid 6 figures to solder or be hired by Apple to solder. You won't get it. They don't need that skill.

Engineering is different, that's where the innovation happens and all the brains behind all the tech happens and this brains behind all the tech is what companies want. You don't need to know how a circuit looks like if you're in engineering. Sure you know the basics, but that's good enough.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:30 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,551,679 times
Peanuts compared to the money Apple took OUT of the American economy for the past 20 years.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:32 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I doubt Trump will be impeached.

In the first place, he's worth a lot more to Democrats as an example of what you get when you vote for Republicans.

If the investigation progresses to where it is clear he's committed a crime, he will try to cut a deal.
Folks also keep forgetting that impeachment just means a sitting president gets indicted. That's all.

So let's say the Democrats take back the House -- but it's going to be an empty gesture because conviction for removal from the Senate requires 2/3rds vote in favor, which is a very high hurdle, even if the Democrats get control of the Senate as well.

I don't see Pelosi, if she takes back the Speaker of the House seat, just holding a vote for impeachment if she knows it's not going to get anywhere in the Senate, though she will be under a lot of pressure from her caucus and voters to do that.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:44 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,000 times
Default Apple giving out a $2,500 bonus to all employees because of tax reform! Largest yet!

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/17/appl...us-report.html

This is what the Democrats were resisting! They called this Armageddon!

Old 01-17-2018, 04:48 PM

34,041 posts, read 17,056,322 times
excellent

Old 01-17-2018, 04:48 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
It's amazing that people try to downplay the bonuses and investments.

These tax cuts have lowered how much the American employee costs to companies.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:55 PM

12,202 posts, read 7,221,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It's amazing that people try to downplay the bonuses and investments.

These tax cuts have lowered how much the American employee costs to companies.
The Left is going to try to spin every positive news into negative and make anything negative as big as possible.

They are that despicable.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:03 PM

31,906 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Once again, do none of you understand basic math and economics?

Yes, a bonus is better than nothing, but even at $2500 still amounts to several dollars per week. Hardly anything to open a bottle of champagne over.

Bonuses are one shot deals; you cannot buy a home or base any sound future financially upon them because after that load is shot, you don't know if or when another will appear.

The idea of this tax reform was to spur an *INCREASE* in wages. That so far has largely not happened.

Even a two to three percent permanent raise in wage is better than a bonus of only several thousand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies