Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 11:45 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times

Advertisements

I realize that anything I say from the media is immediately going to be dismissed as "Fake News," but there are some details emerging of Schumer's talks with Trump. They met in person and had what appeared to be a promising talk. Schumer says he put the border wall funding on the table in exchange for DACA. They left on an optimistic note, with Schumer asking Trump to sell it to his folks. Some hours later, John Kelly called Schumer back and said no deal, it was still too liberal.

If this did in fact transpire in this manner... shouldn't both sides have taken it?

Feels like some hardliners basically blocked what would have been a reasonable compromise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 12:04 AM

18,741 posts, read 7,623,084 times
Schumer put border wall funding on the table in exchange for DACA..why did Trump end up rejecting it?

Because Trump had asked for only enough for 1/3 of the wall, $18 billion, a figure he has publicly stated for weeks.

Democrats offered $1.6 billion.

At that rate, the wall wouldn't be finished for 50 years.

Of course Trump rejected it.

Only mystery is, why did Schumer offer such a tiny fraction of what was needed? It was an obvious "up yours, we're not going to let the wall be built" statement.

Clearly Schumer didn't intend to make ANY acceptable offer. Just so he could then go before the cameras and claim "Well, I made an offer, it was Trump who rejected it, not me" ....when in fact, it was him rejecting anything reasonable.

Glassy-eyed liberal fanatics such as yourself swallowed it hook, line, and sinker, of course.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:32 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
I have also heard Trumo wanted four things in this bill (DACA, wall, no lottery, end chain migration)... the democrats added a fifth clause that directed the US government to take in people from countries with no education, no skill, and likely be a financial drain on taxpayers with social programs... Trump wanted to take people with some merit... Democrats refused to remove the fifth item... and here we are, Democrats VOTED against opening the government....

Old 01-21-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Schumer put border wall funding on the table in exchange for DACA..why did Trump end up rejecting it?

Because Trump had asked for only enough for 1/3 of the wall, $18 billion, a figure he has publicly stated for weeks.

Democrats offered $1.6 billion.

At that rate, the wall wouldn't be finished for 50 years.

Of course Trump rejected it.

Only mystery is, why did Schumer offer such a tiny fraction of what was needed? It was an obvious "up yours, we're not going to let the wall be built" statement.

Clearly Schumer didn't intend to make ANY acceptable offer. Just so he could then go before the cameras and claim "Well, I made an offer, it was Trump who rejected it, not me" ....when in fact, it was him rejecting anything reasonable.

Glassy-eyed liberal fanatics such as yourself swallowed it hook, line, and sinker, of course.
Link / source how much Schumer offered? In what I saw, he didn't specify. Not saying you're necessarily wrong, just hard to know what is true when the info about the negotiations comes from the negotiators themselves.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:48 AM

And before anyone asks, here's my link. Yes, I'm sure many will find it convenient to dismiss it.

Trump and Schumer came close to a deal. Then it fell apart - CNNPolitics

Old 01-21-2018, 01:31 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Trump was appealing to his base and creating a distraction from the Russian/Trump investigation.

It worked.

As we can see from the plethora of posts on this forum, his base is riled up and no one's talking about the Russian/Trump investigation.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:36 AM

18,741 posts, read 7,623,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Link / source how much Schumer offered? In what I saw, he didn't specify. Not saying you're necessarily wrong, just hard to know what is true when the info about the negotiations comes from the negotiators themselves.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.47e92233bd18

But CNN also asked a question that gets to the heart of the deal Schumer may have been trying to make.

What’s more, what Schumer offered was apparently not the full cost of covering the entire border along the wall. In a news conference on Saturday, White House budget director Mick Mulvaney disparaged Schumer for claiming to have agreed to funding the wall — he actually agreed to only the $1.6 billion the administration asked for in 2017.

As I said:

Clearly Schumer didn't intend to make ANY acceptable offer. Just so he could then go before the cameras and claim "Well, I made an offer, it was President Trump who rejected it, not me" ....when in fact, it was Schumer rejecting anything reasonable. His intention was solely to shut down the government, in hopes that he could somehow shift blame for what he'd done, to Republicans.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:51 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,633,295 times
This president said publicly this government needs a shut down. This is a Republican thing, after all they are in charge of all three branches of this government. Ryan and the Nazi (Miller) were also in on this I’m sure....when enough Democrats get in at least they will have a fighting chance against these fascists.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:56 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,149,635 times
Because DACA is stupid

Old 01-21-2018, 02:15 AM

11,804 posts, read 5,807,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Trump was appealing to his base and creating a distraction from the Russian/Trump investigation.

It worked.

As we can see from the plethora of posts on this forum, his base is riled up and no one's talking about the Russian/Trump investigation.
Maybe you should see how quick you can go - this isn't a distraction as most of us know the whole Trump Russia thing is a non entity - there is nothing there - whereas Hillary's connection - there more solid evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies