Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 01:43 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
The United States is no longer in the top 10 of countries for innovation and new technology. A big reason for this are cutbacks in research and development at universities. You cannot compete in the global marketplace if you don't invest in R&D.

"The U.S. Drops Out of the Top 10 in Innovation Ranking"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...n-as-u-s-falls
The article contradicts your claims:

The U.S. fell to 11th place from ninth mainly because of an eight-spot slump in the post-secondary, or tertiary, education-efficiency category, which includes the share of new science and engineering graduates in the labor force.

[emphasis mine]

Another fake title thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 02:07 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
What does Republicans have to do with this? In case the OP forgot, it was Obama in office for the past 8 years before last year.
but i thought Trump was responsible for the stock market ????

are you saying Obama is responsible for stock growth??? you don't get it both ways dude....

Old 01-23-2018, 02:14 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
but i thought Trump was responsible for the stock market ????

are you saying Obama is responsible for stock growth??? you don't get it both ways dude....
Do tell.

We are all ears, as the saying goes. Tell us why you thought Trump was responsible for the stock market.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:15 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,170,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The article contradicts your claims:

The U.S. fell to 11th place from ninth mainly because of an eight-spot slump in the post-secondary, or tertiary, education-efficiency category, which includes the share of new science and engineering graduates in the labor force.

Another fake title thread.
I made my statement on the table in the article, which showed that the US ranks #10 in "R&D intensity." Why aren't we No. 1? Part of it is because Trump and the Republican congress have gutted investment in research at universities.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:26 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,612,280 times
Quote:
I made my statement on the table in the article, which showed that the US ranks #10 in "R&D intensity." Why aren't we No. 1? Part of it is because Trump and the Republican congress have gutted investment in research at universities.
The anti-science sentiment may play a part in this. But part of this (and perhaps the bigger part) is a result of short term, selfish thinking.

It say that as long as MY base of people who look like me, think like me, and are wealthy like me get their way right now, let's just defer the liability of not making those investments towards the future down to the later generations, since it won't be our problem at that point.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:01 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,948,281 times
Quote:
LOL! Your research skills suck. (You should work on that if you are going to pretend to know science.)

A 2-second google search to collect the data on "R&D Intensity" reveals:

2017 - Behind a paywall (no biggy)
2016 - US ranks #10
2015 - US ranks #11

Aannd, that's quite enough to shoot the sh*t out of your mahvalously "sciency" hypothesis.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:04 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,123,976 times
Quote:
The United States is no longer in the top 10 of countries for innovation and new technology. A big reason for this are cutbacks in research and development at universities. You cannot compete in the global marketplace if you don't invest in R&D.

"The U.S. Drops Out of the Top 10 in Innovation Ranking"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...n-as-u-s-falls
This must make you giddy.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:05 PM

45,431 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
No, part of it is because the US, both government and private industry, has been contracting R&D for a couple decades. The same complaint was leveled in the 1970s.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:05 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,036,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post

What does Republicans have to do with this? In case the OP forgot, it was Obama in office for the past 8 years before last year.
Oooh! Devastating!

Old 01-23-2018, 06:06 PM

27,656 posts, read 16,147,064 times
What kind of crap headlines are people getting away with around here? Absurd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies