Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 08:05 AM

693 posts, read 357,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Obama also ran on everyone being covered....what happened?
I don't recall Obama saying all Americans would be covered. I recall him saying he would offer plans cheaper than what was out there, and he did. Fact is, for most, getting plans via the exchange was cheaper than getting it elsewhere.

Quote:
BTW, the premiums in Alabama went up over 230% prior to trump anything?

They were not going up that fast prior to the ACA....
Alabama didn't expand medicaid coverage through the ACA, in protest of Obama. States that did, saw insurance not cost as much. Blame alabama, not Obama. The information is out there for all to see, do a little research, and you'll see why insurance cost so much in Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 08:12 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Exactly there is no quick fix -- but we were soldl there was by Trump during his campaign.

Come on now -- Trump thought it was an easy fix.

It isn't. It's complicated and he admittedly found that out.

Even all of us knew it was complicated -- come on now.....
Are you actually telling me that a politician said something that may have been a little hyperbolic while on the campaign trail? NO WAY!

Lest we forget, Obama promised that our premiums would drop by 1/3, and the average family would be saving something like $2500. That wasn't a vague promise for a "quick fix" or some such policy agenda. It also wasn't campaign hyperbole - he was president at the time. That was a direct statement with a specific dollar figure attached to it, and I personally believe it was a straight up lie, although all I can claim as fact is that he was about as wrong about the effects of the law as a person could have possibly been.

So, if you're drawing comparisons, there you are.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:29 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It is so great not to be forced to have health insurance. I don't know about you, but I really value my right to go bankrupt if I get seriously ill!

Interesting. My wife and I did not participate in the ACA , we couldn't afford the premiums so we called around to some insurance companies, and ended up self insuring with Blue Cross. Why can't you and many others do the same ?

Sidenote, just before the end of the year we contacted BC to see about lowering our premiums and they mentioned after the first of the year everything is going up. So, not sure how this would be Trumps fault but whatever. We did end up making some changes that lowered the premium by $100 a month, so now we are at $670.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:26 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,716,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
If you replace the word "Trump" with "Obama," you have an equally accurate statement. The truth is, Obama broke the healthcare system. Fixing it won't be easy, and it won't be painless - but it still needs to be fixed.
The healthcare system was broken long before Obama. I'm not a fan of the ACA, but it did bring several good things to the table.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:59 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
The healthcare system was broken long before Obama. I'm not a fan of the ACA, but it did bring several good things to the table.
For the average American, the health insurance system worked perfectly well before Obama. Was it perfect? No, but most didn't have issues. What Obama did gutted the health insurance system and replaced it with a system where the average American had to pay more money for less coverage and higher out of pocket costs. Did it have some good things? Sure, the removal of pre-existing conditions clauses was nice. But overall, for a system that promised to "fix" healthcare, save people money, and cover everyone it was a dismal failure.

Will the Republicans do better? Probably not. We still have a political system that gives far too much wait to lobbyists and does a ****-poor job of policing our representatives for a truly good system to be brought to the table. On the other hand, I doubt that they can do much worse.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:27 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
Well, back in the real world, rate of increases were slowing down. Let that sink in, without the ACA, things would probably be worse today....and reports are already coming in that things will get worse with Trumps killing of ACA.

The advent of expensive plans with high deductibles started creeping in america well before Obama. It was the path we were on. Your costs were not due to the ACA, they would have gone up regardless.

Prove it.

You can't create minimum coverage standards including coverage for preexisting conditions and expect insurance companies not to raise prices.

That notion is absurd on it's face.

The mandate didn't offset the increased costs to insurance companies and a lot of people elected to pay the penalty instead.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:30 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The inability of the Republicans to craft an acceptable replacement is causing insurance premiums to remain unstable and rise more.

That's what the insurance companies have said.

That's the reality.

They need to fix it.
The ACA was designed specifically to fail and to be impossible to fix.

Blaming the GOP for not being able to fix something that was designed specifically to be impossible to fix is rather disingenuous at best.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:32 AM

11,800 posts, read 5,801,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
30% increase? 3 million lose their insurance?

What?

Trump said more people we're going to be covered at a more affordable cost. What happened to that plan?
Now you sound like the Republicans when the ACA was passed. You told them to wait and see - so guess what wait and see! I'm betting that insurance does become more affordable because other legislation will be passed to open buying plans across state lines ect making for a real market.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:35 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The first projections for Trumpcare 2019 are in: Expect rate increases of up to 30%

Looks like he has a great healthcare plan. Actually the interesting thing thats pointed out is that this will impact those making 4X the poverty limit, as the subsidies will shelter the poorer folks.

2019 will be the first time we see the impacts of the war on the ACA. Will it really be 30% as the study estimates? Barring some changes I can see that occurring.
All I see is someone from California giving his opinion.

"as the study estimates?'

Where is the ACTUAL study?

Old 01-31-2018, 02:50 PM

693 posts, read 357,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Prove it.

You can't create minimum coverage standards including coverage for preexisting conditions and expect insurance companies not to raise prices.

That notion is absurd on it's face.

The mandate didn't offset the increased costs to insurance companies and a lot of people elected to pay the penalty instead.

Prove what? That high deductible insurances were a thing before Obama and on the rise? That's a fact, look it up.

Or what, that the rate of increases slowed down? That's also a fact. You could look that up as well. You do know that's stuff that's tracked, right?
https://www.factcheck.org/2015/02/sl...h-under-obama/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robbman.../#2c8400863a01

http://time.com/money/4503325/obama-...sts-obamacare/

I know that trump supporters are allergic to facts, so what I link to won't matter. You'll probably just dismiss it as fake news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies