Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 07:17 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,819,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
We are spending far more on welfare and free healthcare/education for the illegals that that. Some estimates put it to 130 billion a year. They are a net loss to the economy, and a fraction of a single year's loss pays for the wall.
How much do you think that $130bil would drop just by enforcing Everify? Do that, illegals couldn't get a job.

As far as actually building a wall, first you've got get the property. And that is going to be one big legal fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 07:23 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
How much do you think that $130bil would drop just by enforcing Everify? Do that, illegals couldn't get a job.

As far as actually building a wall, first you've got get the property. And that is going to be one big legal fight.
E-verify is not everything. A large amount of illegals are paid cash for being nannies, gardeners, housekeepers, handy men and so on. E-verify will do nothing regarding this portion of illegals. They are hired because they are illegal and cheap labor. Not all illegals work for companies and businesses.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
E-verify is not everything. A large amount of illegals are paid cash for being nannies, gardeners, housekeepers, handy men and so on. E-verify will do nothing regarding this portion of illegals. They are hired because they are illegal and cheap labor. Not all illegals work for companies and businesses.
Yep, thats true. Even so, lots of businesses do hire them. At least that source of jobs would be gone. Next, do a constant check at places like schools and hospitals. Illegals found, deport them.

Start incrementally, do the obvious steps first. Instead of wasting a lot of money.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:56 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
There was a huge stampede of illegals across the border when Big Corp Ag put all the family farms out of business in Mexico with Nafta.

And yet we have unlimited visas for "legal" foreign ag workers.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post

The 700 mile long wall was already approved by congress in 2006. Don't you think they knew it was going to be feasible and doable? As another poster pointed out many illegals work for cash and criminals and terrorists aren't looking for jobs, thus the wall.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
The only reason for the wall is as a monument to Trump. The idea that a wall will keep people out is idiotic. Drug cartels are already using ultralight aircraft to deliver their wares over the border. For less than $100 you can buy a drone at wmart that will easily navigate a wall and could be outfitted to carry a small load of drugs. It won't be too far in the future when an affordable drone will be able to carry a person up and over the wall.

BTW, while the talking heads news keeps the people glued to the tv screen with Trump's wall, alleged sex crimes of thirty years past, and the killer flu, you better take a look at who's next in sights of our war mongers. It looks like Iran is high on the list.
Remember Iraq, WMD's were going to kill the world, but none were found. Thousands of American military dead or crippled, over one million Iraqi's killed and who knows how many injured. Not to mention the trillions of dollars spent and unaccounted for.
When the talking heads have you looking at their right hand you better watch their left hand.

Another clueless one even though I've posted links proving that the double walls already erected have been very effective. None of your scenarios occurred at those types of walls either. It's not Trump's wall it was a wall already approved by congress back in 2006 but just wasn't funded.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The 700 mile long wall was already approved by congress in 2006. Don't you think they knew it was going to be feasible and doable? As another poster pointed out many illegals work for cash and criminals and terrorists aren't looking for jobs, thus the wall.
Yes, I agreed lots work for cash only. But lots don't.

And no, congress doesn't know the meaning of feasible and doable. Most of them are scum, lining their pockets, could care less about the country. But they do know a boondoggle when they see it as a golden opportunity to get more wealth for themselves.

Anyway, the property battle for just where the wall would be located is going to be one long struggle. Thats going to cost. A lot.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:39 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,630,750 times
They may dig under it if they want to get in. I saw the tunnels the Mexican’s dug all the way to San Diego...

Old 01-29-2018, 09:53 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,046,123 times
I am a Trump guy and open to the wall idea(I say open because I think it will help and I think illegal immigration is way way way out of hand, I mean it is so out of hand that when I go to Home Depot these illegal immigrants will gladly tell me their stories of how they came into the USA illegal, and the funny part is they are not Mexicans mostly, they are mostly Guatemalans and other people south of Mexico lol, they told me it was harder to get into MEXICO then the USA lol. "Amgio so easy to get into Texas, but so hard to get into Mexico, so dangerous" lol seriously lol)

But I must agree with something Barney Sanders said recently. He said a wall is primitive and not cost effective(he probably is a open borders kind of guy but still he made a point). A literal wall is not the most effective thing in my mind. What are some of the estimate cost? 70 billion? Couldn't that 70 billion be used for cameras, sensors, more agents, more support to local police, etc.

I am just really concerned that this will be a waste of funny. Again I am a pro Trump guy, anti illegal immigration guy, anti Sanders guy. For you pro Trump pro wall guys, I am on your side, but I am really concerned that this will not make the situation any better. Those cartels will find a way, they will just have to try harder and charge more, but they will find a way to get people inside the USA. We have to destroy the incentives and crack down on sanctuary policies. Sure the wall is better than nothing, but it really might be for show only. Who knows, maybe the cartels are rooting for Trump, maybe they want the wall, seriously! Then illegal immigrants will HAVE to use the cartels.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:08 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
Juárez Mexico stands on the Rio Grande river across the Mexico–United States bordering El Paso and is once again one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Bodies burnt in the streets, blood splatters against the walls and dangerous drug cartels at war.

Juárez among most dangerous cities in the world

Mexico to send troops to stem violence after record 25,000 murders in Juárez Mexico
Nearly 7,000 Mexican soldiers and federal police arrived in the U.S.-Mexico border city of Ciudad Juarez this week to restore security to a city plagued by a long-standing, bloody drug war. More than 25,000 murders were recorded last year as rival drug gangs increasingly splintered into smaller, more blood-thirsty groups after more than a decade of a military-led campaign to battle the cartels. Another 1,500 soldiers are expected to join them.

Mexico pours troops into border city stricken by drug war - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies