Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2018, 11:56 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Obama administration paid for the investigation by Mueller based upon false information against a political opponent. That is for the uninvited.....a crime.
Oh, come on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 11:56 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No, this is what McCabe said, this is what he said: "no surveillance warrant for Page would have been sought.". The FISA warrant would never have been signed by a judge without a good deal of evidence. "seeking and obtaining" are two different things.

Carter Page has been under investigation of and on since 2004, and continuously since 2013.
If they didn't Seek a FISA warrant, they would never have had one, as I stated in my post that you referred to.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:57 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Love your choice of words like "purge"...

One would assume that the people that TRUMP APPOINTED to run these agencies would not need to be "purged" since he only hires the "best people". What forms of mental gymnastics does one need to do to reconcile the hypocrisy in Trump attempting to crucify people that he appointed as leading a witch hunt against him?
In business, people hire people they later have to fire, when they don't preform or prove they can't preform the task. Failing to supervise is harmful to the mission.

3,594 posts, read 1,794,600 times
Was Nellie Ohr hired by fusion with the purpose of injecting the phony dossier into the intelligence community? Knowing who her husband was.

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
I believe there could still be charges if it was realeased.

There are some who want the everyday American citizen to know what is going on.
I get that......but isn't it MORE important to have justice served.

It's obvious many feel that they can go ahead and pursue a legal case even with this out there. Did they just show all their cards to the defendants.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:58 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
You go Trump. Drain the swamp and #MAGA !!!!!!!
Lock her up, lock her up, lock her up. (Hillary Clinton)

House memo states disputed dossier was key to FBI’s FISA warrant to surveil members of Team Trump
House memo states disputed dossier was key to FBI

A memo that shows alleged government surveillance abuse has been released to the public and includes testimony from a high-ranking government official who says the FBI and DOJ would not have sought surveillance warrants to spy on at least one member of the Trump team without the infamous Trump dossier.

The House Intelligence Committee released the memo on Friday afternoon about alleged abuses involving FISA, or the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, during the 2016 election.

The dossier, authored by former British spy Christopher Steele and commissioned by Fusion GPS, was paid by the Democratic National Committee and the Clinton campaign through law firm Perkins Coie in an effort to conduct opposition research.

The memo says the committee’s findings “raise concerns with the legitimacy and legality of certain DOJ and FBI interactions†with the FISA court and “represent a troubling breakdown of legal processes established to protect the American people from abuses related to the FISA process.â€

The memo, which has been at the center of an intense power struggle between congressional Republicans, specifically cites the DOJ and FBI’s surveillance of onetime Trump campaign adviser Carter Page, saying the dossier "formed an essential part" of the application to spy on him.

The memo pointed out that in December 2017, then FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe testified that “no surveillance warrant would have been sought†from the FISA court “without the Steele dossier information.â€

The memo, though, shows that Steele was eventually cut off from the FBI for being chatty with the media. It says he was terminated in October 2016 as an FBI source “for what the FBI defines as the most serious of violations—an unauthorized disclosure to the media of his relationship with the FBI.â€

But even after his termination, Steele remained in close contact with Justice Department official—then-Associate Deputy Attorney General Bruce Ohr. At the time, Ohr “worked closely†with Yates and later Rosenstein.

Ohr’s wife Nellie began working for Fusion GPS, the firm behind the dossier, as early as May 2016.

The memo said that while the FISA application “relied†on Steele’s “past record of credible reporting†on other “unrelated matters,†the FISA application process “ignored or concealed his anti-Trump financial and ideological motivations.

According to the memo, Steele told Ohr that he “was desperate that Donald Trump not get elected and was passionate about him not being president.â€

“This clear evidence of Steele’s bias was recorded by Ohr at the time and subsequently in official FBI files –but not reflected in any of the Page FISA applications,†the memo reads.

It also claims the FBI and DOJ used media reporting to lend credibility to the dossier, while the firm behind the dossier, Fusion GPS, briefed major American news outlets to include New York Times, Washington Post, CNN, New Yorker, Yahoo and Mother Jones.

Speaking to reporters on Friday, Trump, who has read the memo, called the contents “a disgrace.â€

“A lot of people should be ashamed of themselves,†he said.

The unclassified four-page memo says it was written to provide lawmakers information on the FBI and DOJ’s use of Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, or FISA, surveillance during the 2016 presidential election.

The memo stated that on October 21, 2016, the Justice Department and the FBI “sought and received†a FISA probable cause order authorizing “electronic surveillance†on Page from the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court. At the time, Page was a volunteer adviser on the Trump campaign.

The Page warrant application required certification from either then-FBI Director James Comey or then-Deputy FBI Director Andrew McCabe. McCabe stepped down from his post at the FBI on Monday.

According to the memo, the FBI and DOJ obtained “one initial FISA warrant†targeting Page, and three FISA renewals from the FISA court. The statute required that every 90 days, a FISA order on an American citizen “must be renewed.â€

The memo stated that Comey signed three FISA applications for Page and McCabe signed one. Trump’s current Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein also signed at least one FISA application for Page –along with former Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates and former Acting Deputy Attorney General Dana Boente.

In a statement to Fox News, Page said the memo reveals an "unprecedented abuse of process.â€

“The brave and assiduous oversight by Congressional leaders in discovering this unprecedented abuse of process represents a giant, historic leap in the repair of America’s democracy,†Page said.

He added: “Now that a few of the misdeeds against the Trump Movement have been partially revealed, I look forward to updating my pending legal action in opposition to DOJ this weekend in preparation for Monday’s next small step on the long, potholed road toward helping to restore law and order in our great country.â€

The memo stated that information on the now-infamous anti-Trump dossier compiled by Steele was “omitted†when seeking a FISA warrant for Page.

“Neither the initial application in October 2016, nor any of the renewals, disclose or reference the role of the DNC, Clinton campaign, or any party/campaign in funding Steele’s efforts, even though the political origins of the Steele dossier were then known to senior DOJ and FBI officials,†the memo said.

According to the memo, Page’s FISA application “cited extensively†a September 23, 2016 Yahoo News article, which focused on Page’s trip to Moscow. The memo read that the “article does not corroborate the Steele dossier because it is derived from information leaked by Steele himself to Yahoo News.â€

MORE ON WEBSITE
You could have condensed that whole blurb to one line: The House Intelligence Committee released the memo on Friday afternoon about alleged abuses involving FISA."

Note the critical word: Alleged. Nothing has been proven, and anyone can make allegations without proof, or with bias. Of course, I'm SURE Nunes wouldn't have done that. Nope. No way.

37,219 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Trump promised transparency, and releasing this memo fulfills the promise. It's one of the most transparent efforts to dodge a bullet that I can ever remember. I doubt it's even registered with Mueller, though.

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You obviously aren't paying attention. Your missing that they used everything in the memo to initiate the investigation with Mueller at the head of the investigation.
How can one even remotely make that claim based on what this memo contains and what is known of the Mueller investigation? What you typed may be what you WANT it to contain...but alas, it does not.

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times
So basically it says the Steele dossier was part of the information used to obtain the warrant, while declining to disclose any and all other information that was also used to obtain the warrant, in an attempt to make it appear that the dossier was the primary reason for the warrant. Without reference to the other corroborating information that was also used, this is useless because there is no way to tell what other concurrent information was used and if the sum total of that information provided sufficient cause to obtain the warrant.

It's like if I get arrested for murder and my defense is that they arrested me for smoking, then I redact the fact that my brand of cig with my DNA on it was found on top of the body and only say that they found a cig at the scene and I was smoking nearby. Without a list of all the information used to obtain it, it is impossible for anyone to make an accurate determination of if the warrant was groundless or not.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:59 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
I see a great storm coming together here. The SOTU, outstanding economic reports, tax cut savings, Democrat mishaps, the MEMO, etc.

Remember that Democrat wave being talked about?! I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies