Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 03:13 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Oh, so since you're so sure. I will bet you $100K that it does. If you're wrong, and there are google results, you pay me $100K.

If there are any reports of medical professionals or physical therapists confirming it is a legitimate treatment, including quotes from articles published in print or online, you also lose.

Deal? Put your money where your big ignorant mouth-hole is.

Wait, do you even have 100K?
Once again, YOU are the one making the affirmative argument. It is YOUR responsibility to provide support for your argument. It is not our responsibility to refute your argument. Moreover, that little shift of the goalposts is duly noted. "Any reports" can mean quacks and treatments that might have been accepted at one point in time but are now considered illegitimate. Over 200 girls. Nassar was a BIG fan of little girls' vaginas. If vaginal treatment was so "legitimate", then it would be widespread. Little girls that aren't gymnasts still go to doctors every day for ankle, knee, wrist injuries. And their doctors don't seem to be offering up vaginal therapy for these sorts of injuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 03:14 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
When both me and pknopp are on the same side of something, not only is someone wrong, they're so wrong it warps the fabric of reality! (just kidding we do occasionally agree on things-stuff like this for example.)
We generally agree on a goal, just not how we get there.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:15 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
IF they had nothing wrong with them they wouldn't have been seeing the doctor in the first place.
Actually, that's not true. These are elite gymnasts. They were required to regularly see the doctor, whether they had a complaint or not.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:18 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Actually, that's not true. These are elite gymnasts. They were required to regularly see the doctor, whether they had a complaint or not.
They even testified he would make excuses for them to have to come see him, injury or not. The testimony was that this wasn't even always in a medical environment.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:20 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,226,677 times
Quote:
Once again, YOU are the one making the affirmative argument. It is YOUR responsibility to provide support for your argument. It is not our responsibility to refute your argument. Moreover, that little shift of the goalposts is duly noted. "Any reports" can mean quacks and treatments that might have been accepted at one point in time but are now considered illegitimate. Over 200 girls. Nassar was a BIG fan of little girls' vaginas. If vaginal treatment was so "legitimate", then it would be widespread. Little girls that aren't gymnasts still go to doctors every day for ankle, knee, wrist injuries. And their doctors don't seem to be offering up vaginal therapy for these sorts of injuries.
You haven't done a shred of research into the issue, that much is clear. Would you accept a study from the National Institutes of Health? How about articles or blog posts from osteopathic doctors trained in the technique? Physical therapists? Physios?

I'm not the one shifting the goal posts. I am not the one claiming that what he did was not medical treatment, or not medically indicated. The people here who are saying that, have done no research, have no personal qualifications to make those assessments, and didn't examine the patients. They literally have no basis for their belief, other than what the government has alleged. They are credulous people.

Reasonably skeptical people, the sort you would impanel on a jury with the expectation that they will actually attempt to deliberate, would at least make some effort to determine for themselves if what the government alleges is true or even makes sense as a theory of guilt.

God help us all if the posters here are representative of the American population. Nobody is safe from a "jury of their peers" if this is the pool.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:26 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,226,677 times
Quote:
That's not true. They may have been required to have a physical periodically but nobody ordered them to see him regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They even testified he would make excuses for them to have to come see him, injury or not. The testimony was that this wasn't even always in a medical environment.
That isn't the case for ALL of the complainants - only for some of them. Sometimes the treatments were delivered off site because the team was on travel for meets. In at least a couple of complaints, the treatments were conducted at a private residence - I recall reading one complaint that said it was at Nassar's home, and another that said it was at the home of the complainant. But the vast majority appear to have been at the gymnastics centers which were the main training locations or regular place of work for Nassar.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:27 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
If a female sports Dr. touched my genitals just for kicks when I was 14, 12 or even 5. I don't care. It wouldn't cause me or anyone else any real harm. And I couldn't care less about this whole charade .

Old 02-05-2018, 03:30 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
If a female sports Dr. touched my genitals just for kicks when I was 14, 12 or even 5. I don't care. It wouldn't cause me or anyone else any real harm. And I couldn't care less about this whole charade .
Good for you. Others would disagree with you.

You are also welcome to not click on this link.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:34 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Good for you. Others would disagree with you.

You are also welcome to not click on this link.
OK fine. I'm just saying I don't like hysteria and vindictiveness. It gets applied to too many other things and policies.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:36 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Exactly. If I had a sports injury, I'd be highly skeptical of a doctor saying "I need to look at your privates" Um...really? Unless it's actually my privates that were injured then the doctor needs to stay away from those parts.

Also, Nassar isn't the only healthcare professional out there abusing trust in patients. Sadly this goes on quite frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies