Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 08:06 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times

Advertisements

I am no longer in the workforce, but mentored many young people over the years and was mentored when I was a young woman. Honestly, I wouldn't mentor a male or a female these days. there was never a monetary or career upside to help a young person on his/her career path. I helped them because I wanted to and my reward was to be happy for their accomplishments. Now there is a ton of potential downside for being a mentor.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 03-09-2018 at 08:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 09:36 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,455 times
But wait! I thought women nowadays are empowered, kick azz superior individuals who bathe in make tears and are the sole future of the planet ( i keep seeing these " The Future Is Female shirts) so why do they even need mentoring?? Especially by men- who apparently the cause of ALL that's wrong in the universe! .

Women should be mentoring and ruling over men!
Hey SJW, please don't bytch about my post- I'm just asking because on social media all I'm pretty much reading is that women are SO far superior in all ways to men, who, incidentally, are ALL that's wrong in the Milky Way Galaxy, so that's why I asked.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:44 PM

32,080 posts, read 15,081,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
But wait! I thought women nowadays are empowered, kick azz superior individuals who bathe in make tears and are the sole future of the planet ( i keep seeing these " The Future Is Female shirts) so why do they even need mentoring?? Especially by men- who apparently the cause of ALL that's wrong in the universe! .

Hey SJW, please don't bytch about my post- I'm just asking because on social media all I'm pretty much reading is that women are SO far superior in all ways to men who, incidentally, are ALL that's wrong in the Milky Way Galaxy, so that's why I asked.
You know why women are superior....you wouldn't even exist without them.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:34 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post

Hey SJW, please don't bytch about my post- I'm just asking because on social media all I'm pretty much reading is that women are SO far superior in all ways to men, who, incidentally, are ALL that's wrong in the Milky Way Galaxy, so that's why I asked.
Just shut up.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:44 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Well -- I will say that an open door has never stopped the creeps from making a lewd comment -- brushing up inappropriately or trying to get a hug just because....so big whoopdi freak'n do. Keep the door open -- how is that a hard ship.

I've been mentored over the years from all kinds of guys -- you don't have to do it one on one at night in your office with the door closed.

It can happen -- full day llight -- all doors open -- all blinds opened in front of other people.

Mentoring isn't a little private affair.

Maybe you all have a skewed view of mentoring.

People tend to see and hear what best fits their agenda.

This leaves everything a man does or says open to a biased subjective, interpretation that will be accepted without question.

In our species, males gain status when females accept their sexual advances.

The more desirable the female, the greater the status gained.

Conversely, females gain status by rejecting male sexual advances.

The more desirable the male, the greater the status gained by the rejecting female.

This suggests the recent sexual harassment hysteria is essentially a sort of competitive female sport involving powerful males (the best kind to reject), an extreme type of rejection and a need to outdo the other "victims", so as to win.

The losers would be the females known to have interacted with the alleged harasser (Harvey Weinstein for example) at some point in the past but refuse to bring accusations against him when all the others pile on.

He being innocent and her unmolested doesn't make her any less of a willing **** or him any less of a sick pervert.

Of course it was bound to come to this.

All those women that were convinced by early feminists to adopt the sexual habits common to men of the era were certain to come back looking for their virtue.

Nature has her own rules and those rules don't change just because some imaginative social engineers come up with some crazy new theory.

Last edited by momonkey; 03-09-2018 at 10:53 PM..

Old 03-10-2018, 09:15 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
People tend to see and hear what best fits their agenda.

This leaves everything a man does or says open to a biased subjective, interpretation that will be accepted without question.

In our species, males gain status when females accept their sexual advances.

The more desirable the female, the greater the status gained.

Conversely, females gain status by rejecting male sexual advances.

The more desirable the male, the greater the status gained by the rejecting female.

This suggests the recent sexual harassment hysteria is essentially a sort of competitive female sport involving powerful males (the best kind to reject), an extreme type of rejection and a need to outdo the other "victims", so as to win.

The losers would be the females known to have interacted with the alleged harasser (Harvey Weinstein for example) at some point in the past but refuse to bring accusations against him when all the others pile on.

He being innocent and her unmolested doesn't make her any less of a willing **** or him any less of a sick pervert.

Of course it was bound to come to this.

All those women that were convinced by early feminists to adopt the sexual habits common to men of the era were certain to come back looking for their virtue.

Nature has her own rules and those rules don't change just because some imaginative social engineers come up with some crazy new theory.

I do not agree it is a competition when women have been sexually assaulted and it has been accepted particularly in an industry like entertainment.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:01 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,813,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
You don't know much about business, do you? Mentors are invaluable, especially to entrepreneurs and startups.
They are even more important today in a world of BS employers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yep. And who can blame you? See what I mean? #MeToo has totally screwed honest women.
I wish it could be revamped. It was a good idea. It did hold bad men accountable but I don't like the idea that men could be afraid of me. Not all men are like Trump..in fact I have noticed that a lot of the musicians I like are men so I do like men (when they are good).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
If the Democrat left voices of "political correctness" insist that you are supposed to brave the lions and pit bulls, despite an available route that is much easier and entirely safe, you are expected to deactivate your brain and submit to the will of the collective, and take the more dangerous route, if you want to maintain your standing among the "progressive" left.

Personally, I count the scorn of the "progressive" left as a badge of honor. But to each their own.
One should brave the lions and pit bulls. I understand why a man wouldn't but at the same time it is important to. The reason why is you'll never see the cuddly bunnies if you don't and is that fair to the bunnies?
(In this scenario the cuddly bunnies are the good women if you didn't get that)

Of course if you are a Trump supporter then it's probably best to take the safe route but there might be a benefit to even you taking the risky route..maybe working with a woman who is anti Trump would someday educate you and you will feel better for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
LOL, comparing women to pit bulls and poisonous snakes, fantastic.

I think it's much safer to walk on the path with many women.

I'm glad that many conservative men want to avoid women entirely.
It's clearly good news for women, and it increases the chances that these men stop infecting the gene pool.

Thanks for breaking that down for me. Makes a lot of sense.

What if there are good men that are hesitant too? Unfortunately we have some bad women in our anti Trump supporter group. There are oversensitive liberals just like there are oversensitive conservatives..may be less but they are still there.
Like I said before I agree with Bill Maher. It has gone too far at this point. Look at what happened to Al Franken. Another example is Matt Damon. Granted these are people in the public eye but I'm sure it can happen to Joe Schmo's too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I am not a conservative and at this juncture no way would I allow myself to be alone with a woman in a work or volunteer role. I worked too hard for too long to take the risk with someone who might have a different agenda. I had a high level corporate career and mentored many women along the way. Times have changed.
It's unfortunate that you wouldn't either because of those of us women who are more introverted would prefer to work alone with their mentor.

I think though that this will hurt more in romantic ventures than workplace relationships for obvious reasons but it can easily be a factor in the workplace too considering a lot of the sexual harrasment claims are happening in the workplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Wow, once again, ANOTHER LOAD OF PURE BS!

I do NOT compliment women on their looks, EVER, and I do NOT "push the boundaries" on women in that regard. Why? Because WOMEN ARE NOT WORTH IT!

But I am terrified. Why? Because women have bad days and may decide to make some crap up about me to get me fired and celebrate with her "gal friends" and a round of some foo-foo drinks at the local bar while they sexually harass their male bartender (it's okay when women do it )

Why is that so hard to understand? It is about AVOIDING FALSE ALLEGATIONS, not "avoiding temptation." And I hate to hurt any massive feminine egos (actually, I don't ) but I am NOT interested in doing anything with any woman. Sorry, but a fantasy about an anima girl is a heck of a lot better than a whining, smelly, gold digging, good-for-nothing reality with a "real" woman.

And if you made it that long without some female on her "lady cycle" deciding that she wants to ruin your life for kicks, good for you. But guess what? There are plenty of people who walked through the South Side of Chicago alone at night and never had anything happen to them either. Does that mean it is a good idea to walk around the South side of Chicago alone at night? No.

And if you made it without having a woman get bored and decide to make a false claim against you, the same thing applies. You were lucky, but not all of us are as lucky.

Simple as that.
You had me until this paragraph. If you would check your attitude you would be less likely to have women treat you in the way that they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post

I stay clear of women unless I can't because of work, and that includes preferring to stand in mass transit if it means sitting next to one otherwise. She might get bored with whatever fashion magazine she's reading and decide to accuse me of groping her otherwise.

I stay safe as a result, and I lose nothing (I need women in a woman like an eel needs swim trunks)

#mgtow for the win.
It's your business if you decide to give up women but I could just as easily give up men because a lot of straight men just want to get in a woman's pants but that doesn't mean I should write them all off because of some bad apples. In this case you do lose..you lose the chance for a real connection with a rare woman (a woman like me..not me but who is like me in the fact that she takes responsibility for her actions with a man)

Old 11-26-2019, 07:43 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You know why women are superior....you wouldn't even exist without them.
Same could be said of men! Can a woman get pregnant with a man involved? NOPE!

In fact, if it weren't for men you wouldn't be living in a modern society.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:29 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
One of the unintended consequences of the #MeToo movement seems to be the alienation of male mentors.

A new set of findings from women’s empowerment non-profit LeanIn.Org and online survey platform SurveyMonkey reveal that, since the media reports of sexual harassment first emerged last fall, male managers are three times as likely to say they are uncomfortable mentoring women and twice as uncomfortable working alone with a woman. The hesitation to meet with women outside of work is even more pronounced: Senior men were 3.5 times more likely to hesitate having a work dinner with a junior female colleague than a male one–and five times more likely to hesitate to travel for work with a junior woman.

In a Facebook post Tuesday morning, LeanIn.Org founder Sheryl Sandberg explained that men’s increasing unwillingness to mentor their female colleagues “undoubtedly will decrease the opportunities women have at work.” The Facebook COO pointed out that, “The last thing women need right now is even more isolation. Men vastly outnumber women as managers and senior leaders, so when they avoid, ice out, or exclude women, we pay the price.”

To encourage more men to mentor their female colleagues, LeanIn.Org Tuesday launched a campaign called #MentorHer. Already, a number of high-profile male business leaders have made the commitment to mentor women, including Oath CEO Tim Armstrong, LinkedIn co-founder Reid Hoffman and CEO Jeff Weiner, Unilever CEO Paul Polman, and Facebook CEO Zuckerberg. Disney CEO Bob Iger gave a Twitter shoutout to ABC President Channing Dungey, saying he was “proud” of her and his other mentees.

The New York Times’ investigation into allegations of sexual harassment and assault against media producer Harvey Weinstein inspired millions of women around the world to say “me too”—that they, too have experienced unwanted sexual advances or violence. A wave of accusations followed, knocking nearly 100 powerful men off their perches, including actor Kevin Spacey, tech investor Steve Jurvetson, music producer Russell Simmons, among others.

The snowballing effects has led some men to express hesitation about being alone with women. In November, Fox News analyst Brit Hume tweeted: “[Vice President] Mike Pence’s policy of avoiding being alone with women other than his wife looking better every day.”

Far from being a solution, this attitude hurts women; the #MentorHer campaign aims to educate about just why mentorship is so crucial to achieving gender parity in the workplace. Among the powerful statistics the campaign site points out (based on LeanIn.Org’s research):

People with mentors are more likely to get promoted.
Women are 24% less likelythan men to get advice from senior leaders
62% of women of color say the lack of an influential mentor holds them back.
Sandberg writes: “If we’re going to change the power imbalance that enables so much sexual harassment in the first place, we need to ensure women get more mentorship and sponsorship, not less. That’s how we get the stretch assignments that lead to promotions. That’s how we build the networks that put us on the path to exciting opportunities. That’s how we get the respect – and recognition – we deserve.”

I will not hire a woman... Too much drama.

Old 11-26-2019, 09:04 PM

2,264 posts, read 973,367 times
Now that due process has been replaced by guilty until proven innocent and trial by media any man who still wants to mentor a woman is either clueless or self-destructive -- either of which disqualifies him as a mentor to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies