Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 01:26 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
According to your description, sounds as if they will do a lot better under Trump's plan.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Nice attempt at changing what I said. I said no such thing, your attempt to change it to that is truly disingenuous. And low.

That being said-I DO in fact think it may work out well for them as long as its done with half a brain. I thought the old government cheese programs were great, especially given the surrounding details of it. So while I think many might, I find your attempt to twist my words on a unrelated topic to be pretty sad.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:27 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Not sure how a law that would need be passed by Congress would run Trump "out og office"?

Is signing that which the House and Senate send you now an impeachable offense?

Is changing the nature of a welfare program that is no way an enumerated power of the federal government to begin with now an impeachable offense?

Old 02-13-2018, 01:29 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
I'm not sure what I think about this. For the rational side, the claimed cost saving is not including the delivery costs to get those boxes of food to the 16 million people who currently use food stamps. And what about rural areas? It's not cheap to deliver to rural areas. Also, packaging costs a lot. You can't just toss food in a box and call it good, you have to package it to protect it in shipping. And then there's going to have to be distribution centers. Surely each area (or state or county, however they break it down), is going to have to have a distribution center to hold all of these boxes. So now you need workers. Government workers. Government workers don't come cheap. I know, I've worked for the government, both federally and state, and the pay is usually higher than they really should be paying (not that I complained, but I certainly noticed).

So we have cost of packaging, cost of shipping, cost of distribution center, cost of workers, cost of delivery...

And this is cheaper than the government putting money on to a single card that the person re-uses? How?

If we're going to cut the expense, then let's make sure that we are really cutting the expenses.

Also...I'm actually agreeing with the left here, (partially), but this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
Basically trash food

That would lead to poor people being more obese and face health issues they can’t afford due to our horrible healthcare system

Makes sense, it’s like population control or creating a hoard of brainless slobs who lack nutrients
is exactly what is going to happen. You can't ship fresh produce or fresh meat on the cheap. So these people are going to get food that is processed, filled with sugars, corn syrup, salt, preservatives, etc...everything that is NOT healthy. I mean, canned meat? Really?! How in the hell is canned meat healthy?

Canned fruit, canned vegetables...those are not healthy.

How about we tackle the illegal immigration problem, first? That will take a huge chunk off of the program. Yes, illegals DO benefit from free food paid for by the taxpayers. Whether they have a child and get free food for that kid, or they live in a house with legal citizens who don't work and get food stamps while they, the illegal, does work, gets paid under the table, and the state (I know CA it's this way) doesn't count them as part of the household because they are illegal. So, you have an illegal going out and doing the work, getting paid in cash, no taxes taken out, lives in a home with legal citizens, they don't work, they get help with rent, electric, and their food stamps, all the while living well off the money that the illegal has brought in. Anyone denying that is a liar or totally clueless living in a bubble.

So tackle that problem first. That will reduce the amount of people receiving free food.

Then we need to actually figure out if it's cheaper in the long run. Because if they can't pay for their food, what makes you think they can pay for their medical bills? If they are on food stamps, chances are, they are on Medical, getting free healthcare at taxpayer expense.

Give them crappy canned food, you WILL be paying for it one way or the other. So, please, tell me how this is cheaper for everyone?

1,239 posts, read 510,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Can u imagine, just saw where TRUMP wants to get rid of food stamps, and start giving food stamp recipients boxes of food with common stuff in it like us regular working folks have to eat. This is gona make a lot of people mad, around the 1st of the month when the cards are reloaded it's like a free for all around here. Course we do load up our carts like this whenever I'm able to work 4 or 5 weeks of major overtime in a row and catch up on our bills. The rest of the time it's just regular cheap food, nuthen like the folks at the 1st of month load up on. In fact, people look at me like I'm stupid when I pay for food at the 1st of the month in cash, it's that uncommon, lol. Saw where one person was complaining about how they would get there special food there DR. had them on. Darn the go to the DR., must have good insurance because this crappy expensive health insurance we have makes a doctors visit unaffordable, maybe if I get really sick and loose my job, insurance, home and such I'll end up on the governments program and can get sum good free insurance and food and live it up with the rest of the poor folks, just my luck, Trump will have it all screwed up where by that time it'll be just as crappy as the insurance and food I got now. JUST LUV ME SUM DONALD TRUMP
If you have to work so much overtime to pay the bills, maybe you would be eligible for, and certainly benefit from SNAP. You could also have some kind of insurance, and at least a yearly check up if you sign up for Obamacare or Medicaid.
I commend you on putting together a fairly coherent post considering your sub high school literacy level, but I think you could even get some free English training if so desired.

These systems were put in place to help people like you. Take advantage of them while they're still available to you, it will give you immediate relief, and could change the course of your life.
Don't let your pride keep you down, you're an American, and this country helps those in need. We won't judge you.

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
And how about the disdain for those doing 'better' financially even though they are supporting the poor with their taxes?

In California , the 'greedy' 1% pays 48 percent of the taxes!

Yet so many are more than eager to call these people greedy and day that California would be fine without them here.

Then we have all the myths that 'wealthy people don't pay taxes' .

When it comes to paying taxes, California is Bernie Sanders' kind of state

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
And no business whose pay is so low that workers need to be subsidized by the government should exist. Thats not being warm and fuzzy, that is saying that while I might feel we need to help the poor, I dont think we should subsidize business with a bad business model that survives because their employees get government help.
As long as their wages are at the federal/state minimum wage I don't see the problem, thats what laws are for, right? If you were starting a business to sustain your family, would you hire someone unqualified to do the job you needed done and pay them more than the value they added?

I'm all for charity and helping those who truly need it, but that most certainly isn't the role of private business.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:31 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
As long as their wages are at the federal/state minimum wage I don't see the problem, thats what laws are for, right? If you were starting a business to sustain your family, would you hire someone unqualified to do the job you needed done and pay them more than the value they added?

I'm all for charity and helping those who truly need it, but that most certainly isn't the role of private business.
And yet when there is talk about raising the minimum wage whats your response?

Old 02-13-2018, 01:34 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
And yet when there is talk about raising the minimum wage whats your response?
Exactly what you think it is, and exactly the answer you won't like. I don't think the government should be in the business of determining the minimum wage. If the minimum wage is $15/hr and I don't think you provide $15/hr worth of value to my business, why would I hire you, its going to result in your skills being priced out of the market. Let employers and employees determine what works.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:35 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Can u imagine, just saw where TRUMP wants to get rid of food stamps, and start giving food stamp recipients boxes of food with common stuff in it like us regular working folks have to eat. This is gona make a lot of people mad, around the 1st of the month when the cards are reloaded it's like a free for all around here. Course we do load up our carts like this whenever I'm able to work 4 or 5 weeks of major overtime in a row and catch up on our bills. The rest of the time it's just regular cheap food, nuthen like the folks at the 1st of month load up on. In fact, people look at me like I'm stupid when I pay for food at the 1st of the month in cash, it's that uncommon, lol. Saw where one person was complaining about how they would get there special food there DR. had them on. Darn the go to the DR., must have good insurance because this crappy expensive health insurance we have makes a doctors visit unaffordable, maybe if I get really sick and loose my job, insurance, home and such I'll end up on the governments program and can get sum good free insurance and food and live it up with the rest of the poor folks, just my luck, Trump will have it all screwed up where by that time it'll be just as crappy as the insurance and food I got now. JUST LUV ME SUM DONALD TRUMP
" just saw"

link please.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:36 PM

21 posts, read 18,290 times
I agree with you. Let's start with the handouts where you can give yourself a raise every year, and don't want to raise the minimum wage. How about you can shutdown the government and still get paid. Or let's use official government private planes and cars for your personal affairs !! Or better yet have health insurance for life paid by the tax payers !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies