Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 12:06 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
How do we get to the point where they don't have to think about having to defend themselves?

Seriously, why they h*ll should they have to?

You think that training children will be effective where training adults hasn't been?
Because that is the world.

When I was 12 or so, my family moved to the Middle East and we became targets. The word in the family was "The Country will not be sacrificed for your ransom.".

So, YES, thinking about how to defend myself started at a very young age.

I'm sorry that we have to give up childhood so soon but face it, that is the world we live in and it has been like that, one way or another, for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Another absurdity. As if store clerks and insurance salesmen could resist even the Mayberry PD, let alone the 1st Airborne.

Protect your rights with .22s and shotguns. They'll be just as effective as AR-15s. And in the mean time a lot fewer kids will be murdered.
Well, one thing in that equation is that the civilians are using the same ammo as the military. If it came down to shooting, using captured supplies would be a great help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I graduated in 1964 we never had anything like that, my brother graduated from High School in 1957 and there were no shooting teams in his school either.
There was at my high school and I was on it from 1977-1979. Previous year books showed Karen as the district champ. Further, since we did go to competitions, there had to be other schools as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
What they switch to won't be as lethal. Shotguns, .22, etc. They are legitimate prices for living in a free society. AR-15s aren't. They're too dangerous.
Well, they could always do it like they do in India and use fire.

It may not kill as many people but it would certainly mess up a bunch of lives for years until their deaths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm proud that I've come so far without ever owning a gun. I'm a bit ashamed that I once shot a Glock but I chalk that up to youthful ignorance and the desire to impress a boyfriend who turned out to be a jerk.

Guns are toxic. If they were NOT, there wouldn't be maiming and deaths attributed to them. Just sayin'.
That is your opinion; it does not happen to be mine.

As it is, I've been shooting them organized since I was 15 (and then before on Armed Forces Day).

They are another item in my professional training. I've frequently said my teen age years read like spy school. I was on rifle team, doing Army Ranger stuff in JROTC, doing judo, taking French and Arabic, and learning how to fly a small plane.

As far as maiming and deaths go, there are guns, there are cars, there are knives, there is fire, there are explosives, letter bombs, and there are probably many more ways to kill and maim people in this world.

Over seas, they have been doing it with land mines for decades.

Just saying there are a lot of ways and while I have once worked with C4, it was during orientation, it is just another item in the tool kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
These are all valid points.

However we could have a national database of Firearm and ammo purchases that correlates large buys with certain public behaviors - and trigger a visit from LE or the FBI.

Based on the last couple of years of shooting these could have prevented at least some of this - including this one.
Well, who are you to say what is too much ammo?

The laws of supply and demand for ammo aside, consider that in the time of the ammo surplus at the turn of the century, I was shooting 400 rounds of rifle and a 1000 rounds of pistol a month. That was standard training.

When I was in HS, we shot 40-50 rounds a day, 4 days a week, so that comes out to 640-800 a month.

So who is to say what is too much ammo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
The Government also has many 3 letter acronym agencys at their disposal if needed to confiscate, and National Guard. Think Marshal law, you know, like in Katrina where armed citizens were having weapons confiscated. Some of it due to shooting at LEO's
It's martial law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Yes, about as obvious as who will be the next mass shooter...

Hey, but the thought of putting more guns in the hands of adolescents still not mature enough to control their emotions is just a great idea! Not to mention the thought of forcing kids to think guns while still so innocent and free to enjoy all that doesn't involve guns or violence, the great majority of which will hopefully have no direct or immediate need to think about guns well into the future.
It's a great way to teach anger management.

Calm the mind, calm the body, so to be able to place rounds on target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What nonsense, military weapons are designed to kill, you don't engage in combat and hope you just hurt your enemy a little bit you try to kill them. Where in the world did you ever come up with that?
Maybe you do. Burying a man takes a short time but having two men as stretcher bearers takes 3 men off the battle field for one shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Good Lord. Yeah, that's what we need. A school full of dead kids. No. What we need are people who will say enough is enough already. AR 15s and other assault weapons have no place in the public. Sorry 2nd Amendmenters. Don't even try to argue with me on that. I don't give a sh** about your "rights." Too many kids and others have died. And thanks to Trump people with mental illness have an easier time getting them. SMDH.
Well, once again, when it comes to the AR-15, it is not an assault weapon. It is not an automatic rifle.

It is a semi automatic rifle that can't fire more than one shot per trigger pull.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 02-19-2018 at 01:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 12:25 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Nice Falsehood.

High Schools didn't even exist in bulk for much of our history. Kids slinging guns to school? Could you please provide a couple sources which indicate this was the reality for millions of Americans? I also know that it was not what my parents or grandparents experienced.

Now - in summer camp (paid) - we did shot 22 shorts. Also used bows and arrows. All carefully regulated. No one brought a rifle back to their cabin. Also same in Military School - which went up to two years of junior college. No shooting even outdoors (only indoor range) and no one had anything but "parade" rifles outside of the range.

Very expensive also - that Military school.
Wow you were kept.

Everyday was summer camp for me.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:17 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The only people that can ever stop these senseless acts of violence are the victims. They are the ones in the right place at the right time to stop the slaughter. If we trained our kids to respond when threatened maybe there would not be 17 dead; maybe only two dead? Maybe and attacker like this monster would think twice before attempting to attack capable teenagers.

If any shooter has thirty books or shoes being thrown at him; he does not have a chance to respond. If the whole class charges; the shooter cannot kill all. The idea is to make the 'victims' into a fighting machine that can repulse any of these single shooters. Flying objects do not let a shooter aim or even hold the gun. If a class of 30 teenagers would all tackle the shooter; that would be hitting him with the force of two tons.

We could take classes out to our school yards and practice throwing books, shoes, chairs - let our kids know they do not have to act like victims. Bring in experts to work with them. Empower them so they can not only save their own lives; but also the lives of their classmates. Make the monsters think twice before they would attack an empowered school!
I asked a teacher what she was taught for active shooter training. Everything you mentioned above, that is what the police department recommended. Right when they were in the middle of discussing what to do, the police fired blanks in the hallways. It was reported that most teachers jumped up and ran to hide.

I do think you are on to something here, with empowering students. It needs to start not with what to do during a shoot out, it needs to start at the purpose of being at school, which is to learn. Students need a say when school is not quite working out for them. They are the customers of the school after all.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:55 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Its easy for Trump to blame FBI, or local LE for the shooting, but the truth is that Florida law prohibits the LE or the courts to take your guns away just because you seem a threat. The buck stops at Trumps desk. He can push to change such laws and work with Congress to get it done.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:59 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Agreed. Like most people they never thought bad things could happen to them so they didn't discuss them. For posters here to claim they have been discussing school shootings since middle school is beyond ridiculous.
If they have 'active shooter' drills at schools, then it should be beyond obvious it has been discussed.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:09 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If they have 'active shooter' drills at schools, then it should be beyond obvious it has been discussed.
That's a good point. Yet the gun rights crowd wants us to think --

1.) Kids never discuss school shootings
2.) Therefore they can't voice their opinions now
3.) Even though their school was shot up last week

It's like the Second Amendment folks are hoping the kids don't exercise their First Amendment rights.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:12 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Yes, they sold a 19 year old an AR15. Diane Feinstein is proposing a law that would make it illegal to purchase one until 21 years of age.

Let me ask this, kids have to sign up for the draft to be forced into service at 18 and can voluntarily join the military at 18 where they will shoot everything from M16's to bazookas to LAW rockets.
If it's okay and mandatory for an 18 year old to carry a fully automatic weapon at 18, carry grenades,man a tank that shoots huge artillery shells etc then why should it be illegal for them to purchase a weapon that's less than what they'd carry in the military?
1. Because those 18 year olds are trained and under supervision.

2. Because no civilian should have access to an item whose sole purpose and reason for being is killing other humans.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:13 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
"none of these kids ever discussed school shootings" vs kids sitting around discussing them are two different things.

Sure some of them may have discussed school shootings.

Was it a theme of conversation in school or among most kids? I highly doubt it.
Really? You don't think that these intelligent kids did not ask the question "are we safe in school?"

Growing up, for me,school was a safe and quite and learning place and only worrying about lunch or what to wear, homework, sports. Getting shot at school was not on my list.

One of my kids, because of bullying, and mean kids at the new school, was so miserable, started ditching 2 or 3 times a week.......continued over to middle school and high school. If my kids were in school, today, I would encourage them to ditch or home school them.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So instead of banning anything maybe make training mandatory for everyone like they do with Hunter Safety?
That would be a step in the right direction and could be filed under Common Sense Gun Control Laws.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I'd be open to that, but I think some gun rights people would still feel their rights were being violated. Mandatory training, not just here's a gun, don't kill people, but serious training for serious guns. And an extensive background check including. If you have any arrest for anything more serious than a traffic offense, no gun for you. And you need to adequately explain why you want an assault rifle.
Agreed.

I'd add a clause saying if you've had serious issues at school (frequent fighting, run-ins with teachers and other disciplinary actions) you'd have to wait 5-7 years and have a 100% clean record with LE before being allowed to apply for a license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies