Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 02:00 PM

1,704 posts, read 750,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Most of your friends have a dozen semi-automatic weapons? Do you think that's a little unusual?
Do you now have a slight grasp of the gravity of our situation?

We are in deep deep deep doo.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 02:01 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
...Are you going to shoot your wives, your daughter(s), your son(s), when they appeal to you to turn over the arsenal to be crushed?
I don't associate with people like that. I don't know of any close family member that is anti-gun. At dinner the other night, a lifelong friend of my told the story of her daughter receiving a Glock pistol as a birthday gift from the a young man she had only dated for a few months. Down here that is a sign of the relationship getting serious.

Now that I think about it, I gave my girlfriend (now wife of 25+ years) one of my pistols about the 6 month mark of our dating. While she doesn't carry a pistol on her at all times, if she travels there is always one in the car's lock box.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:02 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Not at all. I have more than a dozen.
I don't know why they are surprised. 3% of gun lovers have hundreds of them each. If that isn't the definition of 'addicted'... and I'm the one "off the rails". Seriously...

Old 02-22-2018, 02:22 PM

1,704 posts, read 750,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
As an actual mature adult, I'd like to point out the horribly insulting nature of your statement.

I do not support the NRA, but as an organization, they represent the opinions of their ~5M members, most of who I assume are American citizens. So you are basically OK with calling 5M of your fellow citizens "terrorists" and comparing them to the likes of actual terrorists like Mohamed Atta because you have political differences with them?

Not only is that a horrible way to view people with different opinions and life experiences than you, but its an even more horrible way to de-legitimize those who actually died at the hands of real terrorists.

Overboard statements like yours are part of what make it impossible to have real debates with real progress. Don't get me wrong, for every person saying what you say, there is likely someone just as ridiculous on the other side, and they are just as bad and just as guilty for the mess we are in.
The NRA has caused this mess and at the very least, it should be disbanded or dissolved from its current form.

The NRA began as quite a respectable organization in the beginning. As a matter of fact, back in 1934 one its most prestigious members became a quite distinguished and honorable president. His name was Karl Federick, he not only supported the idea of some form of gun control, but he also felt it unreasonable for anyone (including himself) to lawfully carry a firearm in public, unless they were LE officers. That was back when the NRA was primarily focused on the proper handling of firearms, excellent marksmanship, and the responsibility required for gun ownership. It was in no way linked to firearms manufacturing, arms dealers, and corrupt politicians who accept bribes from the NRA, thanks to NRA lobbyists.

My disrespect for the NRA does not include many of the current members of the NRA, but it does include members of the NRA administration who are aware that they are an arm of firearms industrial profiteers, who care nothing about the average American citizen, but who's sole concern is profit.

American society, culture, and civilization be damned! It's the profit which holds their allegiance.

I too was once an NRA member...

I love my country, NOT the NRA!

Last edited by zeliner; 02-22-2018 at 03:15 PM..

Old 02-22-2018, 02:36 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Most of your friends have a dozen semi-automatic weapons? Do you think that's a little unusual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
Do you now have a slight grasp of the gravity of our situation?

We are in deep deep deep doo.....
why? are you under the impression that they possess some magical capability to shoot multiple rifles simultaneously?

Quote:
I don't know why they are surprised. 3% of gun lovers have hundreds of them each. If that isn't the definition of 'addicted'... and I'm the one "off the rails". Seriously...
link?

Old 02-22-2018, 02:42 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times
Quote:
What dark orifice did you pull this from?

Old 02-22-2018, 02:59 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
why? are you under the impression that they possess some magical capability to shoot multiple rifles simultaneously?

link?
Just 3% of Americans own more than half the country's guns | Big Think

This is a link. Ok... not hundreds... keep arguing the semantics friends. Hold fast to the details like they matter. It's lunacy anyway you want to slice it. And it will not stand. Countries with this amount of gun violence are at war with someone. Or they are failed states. No civilized country deals with so much tragedy on a daily basis... 40K automobile deaths, 64K drug overdose deaths, 30K gun accidents, 50K deliberate gun incidents including suicides... we aren't China with a billion + people to cull down to something manageable. We don't have 10's of thousands of productive young Americans to waste like this. It will not come to a good end. We are going to miss the missing one day. And you know how Americans love to play the 'blame game'. I wonder who will get the blame when we finally get it that we've $%$#ed up, royally.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:25 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:
Just 3% of Americans own more than half the country's guns | Big Think

This is a link. Ok... not hundreds... keep arguing the semantics friends. Hold fast to the details like they matter. It's lunacy anyway you want to slice it. And it will not stand. Countries with this amount of gun violence are at war with someone. Or they are failed states. No civilized country deals with so much tragedy on a daily basis... 40K automobile deaths, 64K drug overdose deaths, 30K gun accidents, 50K deliberate gun incidents including suicides... we aren't China with a billion + people to cull down to something manageable. We don't have 10's of thousands of productive young Americans to waste like this. It will not come to a good end. We are going to miss the missing one day. And you know how Americans love to play the 'blame game'. I wonder who will get the blame when we finally get it that we've $%$#ed up, royally.
Ha, when the average is 17 but you are claiming 100s each isn't semantics, its gross negligence in statistical terms.

Quote:
just 3% of Americans, called "super owners," who have an average of 17 guns each

Old 02-22-2018, 03:31 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Wow, CNN just reported that one of the deputies who was the first responder on the scene never entered the building, never engaged the shooter. Said they aren't releasing the footage. I guess this cop just stood there watching it go down?

Old 02-22-2018, 03:34 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Wow, CNN just reported that one of the deputies who was the first responder on the scene never entered the building, never engaged the shooter. Said they aren't releasing the footage. I guess this cop just stood there watching it go down?
We need more details , but it’s entirely possible. I remember a huge criticism of Columbine was that it took hours for police to storm the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies