Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2018, 07:36 AM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times

Advertisements

My Beretta 92FS is an assault weapon under that definition, and if the bill passes, a wave of the pen charges me with a 5th degree felony. My nightstand defender is now, according to that bill as written, an illegal assault weapon, and I would be a felon for having a tool that defends my wife and our home.

...because in FL, someone did something bad with a weapon.

Yep, that makes a ton of sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 07:38 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I would point out that UK, in fact most of Western Europe, Japan, Australia, really almost the whole developed world except for US, has stricter gun control laws. All of those nations still have freedom of speech, voting rights, etc. In fact in a list of countries with the most economic freedom, the US came in at 11th. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...onomic_freedom

NRA likes to keep trotting out this bogeyman of what will happen if ordinary citizens can't buy assault rifles, but I have yet to see an example of where an ordinary American with a gun prevented a takeover by either a foreign invader or tyrannical US government. I do recall that back in the 1980s, all of these Russian and eastern European citizens, who were so at the mercy of their government because they couldn't own guns, somehow managed to break up the Soviet Union and throw off the shackles of communism, with nary a shot fired.
Of course you haven't because of the 2nd Amendment. That's the main reason why statists are so eager to abolish it. Sure those nations have much stricter gun control laws because they don't have a 2nd Amendment either. They also didn't have as high a rate of civilian gun ownership to begin with when compared to the United States.

Venezuela, North Korea, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, El Salvador also have strict gun control laws and are also among the most violent countries in the world. According to the U.N., as of 2005, **Scotland was the most violent country in the developed world, with people three times more likely to be assaulted than in America. Violent crime there has doubled over the last 20 years. 3% of Scots had been victims of assault compared with 1.2% in America. Scotland too has strict gun control laws. So what's your point? So you see we can both cherry pick countries to bolster our opinions. As of 2018 there are 195 countries throughout the world. We're gonna' be here for an awfully long time researching each and every one for their crime statistics, gun control laws, systems of government, and history in order to prove our points.

I've argued this point many times to those who think that the military and police would slaughter their own family, friends and neighbors. Destroying their homes and neighborhoods in the process. There would be absolutely nothing for them to come home to. It is more than likely that they would turn against the government that ordered them to do so. A lot of gun owning Americans are both active duty and retired law enforcement and military personnel who firmly believe in the 2nd Amendment and "Constitutional Law". Add to that the millions of us who know how to use firearms.

Quote:
**Scotland is the assault capital of the world according to UN ...
www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/...
Scotland is the assault capital of the world according to UN stats on violent crime. UN figures say you're seven times more likely to be attacked here than any other ...

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 02-23-2018 at 07:50 AM..

Old 02-23-2018, 07:39 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
There are any number of examples out there of countries with strict firearms controls who are rated by independent org's having MORE, individual, economic, and press freedoms than the U.S.

Those are not useful to instill either fear or boasting rights in the typical American psyche so you'll instead be fed the nonsense of dictatorships and authoritarian regimes, one of which has now become the U.S. new best buddy.

No one of average intelligence believes the meme firearms in the hands of citizens effectively forestalling any tyrannical government determined to overcome you. The Soviet put-down of the Hungarian revolution of 1956 and any number of other events in recent history should be proof enough of that fallacy.
LOL. "Independent organizations" such as Media Matters, George Soros 'Open Society' and maybe some "independent" fact-checking websites like Politifact, the Huffington Post and the New York Times.

Get a grip.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:41 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I dont get why they even attempt this and waste time writing it...the 2nd is IRONCLAD...NO INFRINGEMENT...thats pretty darn clear!
The next time you`re stopped at the metal detector, give the police your speech about Infringement. They enjoy a good chuckle now and then I`m sure.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:44 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I dont get why they even attempt this and waste time writing it...the 2nd is IRONCLAD...NO INFRINGEMENT...thats pretty darn clear!
Maybe go read the Supreme Court's opinion in Heller, the Fourth Circuit's opinion in Kolbe, the Second Circuit's opinion in NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn, the Ninth Circuit's opinion in Fyock, and the Seventh Circuit's opinion in Friedman, because every single one of these Courts have held to the contrary.

Not only that, but (fun fact), did you know that your Constitutional rights can be curtailed provided they survive a "strict scrutiny" analysis? You might also like Justice Scalia's view in Heller that "Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited."

Educate yourself.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:45 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Of course you haven't because of the 2nd Amendment. That's the main reason why statists are so eager to abolish it. Sure those nations have much stricter gun control laws because they don't have a 2nd Amendment either. Venezuela, North Korea, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, El Salvador also have strict gun control laws. According to the U.N., as of 2005, **Scotland was the most violent country in the developed world, with people three times more likely to be assaulted than in America. Violent crime there has doubled over the last 20 years. 3% of Scots had been victims of assault compared with 1.2% in America.

I've argued this point many times to those who think that the military and police would slaughter their own family, friends and neighbors. Destroying their homes and neighborhoods in the process. There would be absolutely nothing for them to come home to. It is more than likely that they would turn against the government that ordered them to do so. A lot of gun owning Americans are both active duty and retired law enforcement and military personnel who firmly believe in the 2nd Amendment and "Constitutional Law". Add to that the millions of us who know how to use firearms.

You and I diverge on something here. Law enforcement would absolutely go house to house and disarm their "friends, family and neighbors". Hell, they did it in New Orleans after Katrina. If nothing else it would give them an opportunity to enhance their personal collections.

The military is more problematic, some would and some wouldn't.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:50 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
My Beretta 92FS is an assault weapon under that definition, and if the bill passes, a wave of the pen charges me with a 5th degree felony. My nightstand defender is now, according to that bill as written, an illegal assault weapon, and I would be a felon for having a tool that defends my wife and our home.

...because in FL, someone did something bad with a weapon.

Yep, that makes a ton of sense.

Silly stuff considering there's little difference time-wise given the ease of changing magazines between firing 17 shots with one 17 round magazine or two 10 round magazines. But it's politicians, silly is what they do best.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." _____ Groucho Marx

If that doesn't make you a Marxist I don't know what will.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:51 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I would point out that UK, in fact most of Western Europe, Japan, Australia, really almost the whole developed world except for US, has stricter gun control laws. All of those nations still have freedom of speech, voting rights, etc. In fact in a list of countries with the most economic freedom, the US came in at 11th. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...onomic_freedom

NRA likes to keep trotting out this bogeyman of what will happen if ordinary citizens can't buy assault rifles, but I have yet to see an example of where an ordinary American with a gun prevented a takeover by either a foreign invader or tyrannical US government. I do recall that back in the 1980s, all of these Russian and eastern European citizens, who were so at the mercy of their government because they couldn't own guns, somehow managed to break up the Soviet Union and throw off the shackles of communism, with nary a shot fired.
Let's talk about the millions murdered by Stalin, Lenin, Hitler, Mao, and others in these "peaceful" gun controlled countries in the past century first. You seem to ignore the parts that don't suit your narrative here.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:52 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Silly stuff considering there's little difference time-wise given the ease of changing magazines between firing 17 shots with one 17 round magazine or two 10 round magazines. But it's politicians, silly is what they do best.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." _____ Groucho Marx

If that doesn't make you a Marxist I don't know what will.
Ok, that was good. And injected some much needed levity.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:53 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Maybe go read the Supreme Court's opinion in Heller, the Fourth Circuit's opinion in Kolbe, the Second Circuit's opinion in NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn, the Ninth Circuit's opinion in Fyock, and the Seventh Circuit's opinion in Friedman, because every single one of these Courts have held to the contrary.

Not only that, but (fun fact), did you know that your Constitutional rights can be curtailed provided they survive a "strict scrutiny" analysis? You might also like Justice Scalia's view in Heller that "Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited."

Educate yourself.
The Heller decision says all arms in common use are protected. The AR is the top selling gun in America, it's in common use and protected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies