Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2018, 06:09 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Machine guns are proof that gun control works. It is extremely rare for them to be used by criminals while committing crime. It also proves that the myth of "if you control guns, only criminals will have them" is false. Machine guns are not illegal, they are tightly controlled as "NFA weapons." If you want one, there's a long application and background check process with the ATF.

If the NFA classification is effective at controlling machine guns it will work for assault weapons, too.

most used guns by gangs....mac10 and uzi's....... machine guns
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 06:15 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
And in the 70s we carried around speed loaders for our revolvers and we rarely had mass shootings and a bag of guns costs alot of money. When is the last time a mass shooter didn't use an assault weapon ?

What is your solution Gomer ?

That LEO at the school couldn't stop the 19 YO with the superior firepower.

A guy here in the Seattle area walked into a coffee shop with a revolver and shot four cops dead. A guy could have 4 six shot revolvers, say two on his belt, and two in his coat pockets, and shoot up to 24 people. I'm guessing that 4 revolvers could be acquired for about the price of an AR-15.

What do you think now about your 'solution,' Gomer yourself?

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...r-questioning/

Old 02-23-2018, 06:18 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
People don’t commit suicide with an AR-15.

I am not for a total ban. But assault type rifles need to go. They can kill way too many people in a matter of minutes. Sorry, some toys you people cannot have. Maybe those who insist on having them need to consider someone besides themselves.
ar15 is not an assault or 'military type' gun....that would be fully automatic guns...which an ar15 is not
Attached Thumbnails
Gun Bans-images.jpg  

Old 02-23-2018, 06:18 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
And in the 70s we carried around speed loaders for our revolvers and we rarely had mass shootings and a bag of guns costs alot of money. When is the last time a mass shooter didn't use an assault weapon ?

What is your solution Gomer ?

That LEO at the school couldn't stop the 19 YO with the superior firepower.
Virginia tech shooter killed 32 with pistols. Comment fail

Old 02-23-2018, 06:21 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Anarcho-capitalism--libertarianism taken to it's logical conclusion.

https://wiki.mises.org/wiki/Anarcho-capitalism
Correct term is reductio ad absurdum. When the idiots run the asylum.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:25 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
People don’t commit suicide with an AR-15.

I am not for a total ban. But assault type rifles need to go. They can kill way too many people in a matter of minutes. Sorry, some toys you people cannot have. Maybe those who insist on having them need to consider someone besides themselves.
So all semi auto mag fed rifles should be banned ? That is what you don't get, the AR is not some crazy evil weapon of death, it is no different than many others.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:28 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
This is like the third time i've posted this.
Here are my suggestions for gun control. They are just suggestions and some would need much further research and some would involve people losing their rights.

End gun free zones. If it's private property the business has a choice to allow firearms or not. I agree 100%

To purchase a firearm regardless of type one has to be 21 years of age. Exceptions are for those in the military or law enforcement, then the minimum would be 18. I agree

Any purchase of a firearm regardless of type either purchased new or secondary sales has to go thru an FFL which gets a call to the NICS. The purchaser is required to have a purchase permit from their local county. In the cases of concealed carry holders they do not need the purchase permit. I agree, but the total to use the NICS system cost should not exceed $20 dollars. This still allows the program to be funded, and perhaps part of that can go to the FFL holder who processed the use of the NICS system.

No more than 3 firearms per month can be purchased. I neither agree nor dis-agree, I have been lucky when I could afford more than 1 firearm a month.

Any magazine that is deemed "large capacity" has to be purchased thru an FFL. How we deem large capacity will need to be worked out. For instance a Kel Tec PMR 30 comes standard with a 30 round mag. A full size Glock comes with either a 13 or 15 round mag depending on caliber. Standard size mag for an AR type rifle is 20 , I believe. Simple solution to this, require serial numbers on large capacity magazines, and they also need to go through the NICS background check system.

Any crime committed with a firearm is an automatic 10 year sentence, no plea bargains, no early parole in addition to whatever time the particular crime gets. Regardless of age. In stead of 10 I would make it 25 years, and make the sentences additive.

Any violation of the Federal Firearms laws is an automatic 5 year sentence. Regardless of age. If more than one is broken, the sentence gets added together. There will need to be some exceptions to this. What I'm trying to target is illegal guns being used by teens and felons. Agreed

Any person that is diagnosed with mental disorders and are taking drugs to maintain their lives in society do not have the right to purchase a firearm. The disorders would have to be chosen from researching past shootings and what they had. Bi polar, schizophrenia seem to be at the top of the list. There would have to be good description of what mental illness is, and bi-partisan committees, but yes.

Persons that are prescribed psychotropic medications for the above disorders are required to be drug tested monthly. If they fail the test , they get admitted to a mental hospital until they are medicated and their disorder is under control again. Agreed

Stop and frisk gets implemented between midnight and 5am. Regardless of city. This is to try and curb drive bys in the inner cities and contain illegal firearms. I can not get behind this one, if a person has not broken the law, you don't have the right to stop and frisk them. I know it prevents crime, but it is a total violation of a person rights.

If one has had a personal protection order filed against them , they lose their right to a firearm for 5 years after the order has expired. At that time they need to go up in front of a board to access if they can have their rights returned to them. Agreed but I would do 2 1/5 years, there are people out their that would bring someone up on charges of stalking knowing that it was false, just because it either impacted their lively hood, or it would hurt them since the other person would like or be in favor of GUNS.

Once these are implemented the firearms control debate is done. If a tragedy happens the blame goes to the person , not the tool used. I know many of my suggestions have violated Constitutional rights, but currently that is what the anti gun crowd wants to do anyway. I feel if we violate these rights both sides have come to a compromise and it might actually do something to curb the violence. There are always going to be bad people out there willing to do bad things, so we will never see all violence go away.

Overall I agree with what you are proposing.

My responses are in red.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:28 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
A guy here in the Seattle area walked into a coffee shop with a revolver and shot four cops dead. A guy could have 4 six shot revolvers, say two on his belt, and two in his coat pockets, and shoot up to 24 people. I'm guessing that 4 revolvers could be acquired for about the price of an AR-15.

What do you think now about your 'solution,' Gomer yourself?

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...r-questioning/
Proper regulation/registration of weapons doesn't impede lawful ownership in any way. Why does a ban on assault weapons, background checks and wait periods inspire such paranoia? They can be effective at weeding out at least some of the crazies.

Regulation of assault weapons, police input for ownership bans and background checks could have stopped 2 or 3 of the last several mass shootings.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:29 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Correct term is reductio ad absurdum. When the idiots run the asylum.
Your system produced Trump as president.

And we're (AnCaps) the idiots?

I'd stick to tipping off the FDA about farmers selling unpasteurized milk so they can raid their barns with AR-15s if I were you.

Leave morality and logic to us principled folks.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:31 PM

30,638 posts, read 18,227,675 times
All I know is that chills went down my spine as I watched the Florida sheriff talk about how the police need "more power to detain" during the Clinton News Network town hall the other day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies